+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC And Anderson Silva Not Ready To Commit To Chris Weidman Title Fight

1. Default UFC And Anderson Silva Not Ready To Commit To Chris Weidman Title Fight

UFC and Anderson Silva not ready to commit to Chris Weidman title fight | News

What's next for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who could return to the octagon this spring? Chris Weidman is a possibility, but no one seems to be ready to commit.

Silva, the UFC's longtime titleholder and the world's top pound-for-pound fighter, has made no firm promises about his next opponent. In recent months, rumored possibilities have run the gamut of the welterweight, middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions: Georges St-Pierre, Jon Jones, Luke Rockhold, Cung Le and – before their recent losses – Michael Bisping, Alan Belcher and Tim Boetsch.

Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), who's been on the sidelines since a dominant win over Mark Munoz this past summer, has been the most vocal about wanting the opportunity against Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) .

"Weidman and his manager sat down and said, 'We want Anderson Silva. We want to fight him. I'm going to beat him. I'm going to be the next world champion,'" UFC President Dana White said. "I said, 'OK. We'll call you in a few weeks.'"
    However, Silva and Co., including manager Ed Soares, have expressed little desire in a matchup they feel is unmarketable.

"This is typical Anderson Silva-Ed Soares craziness," White said. "Every f---ing time there's a fight, he wants to fight 'Mighty Mouse' Johnson. Then he wants to fight this guy and that guy. It's always the same deal. It always happen. 'I absolutely will not fight Chael Sonnen. He doesn't deserve the title.' This is what we do."
    Weidman, a two-time NCAA Division I All-American wrestler, joined the UFC with a late-notice opportunity and a meager 4-0 record. However, the 28-year-old has quickly emerged as a contender following wins over Alessio Sakara, Jesse Bongfeldt, Tom Lawlor, Demian Maia and Munoz.

Weidman was slated to fight Boetsch in a featured bout this past month at UFC 155. However, a shoulder injury ultimately forced him out of the bout and onto the sidelines. He underwent successful surgery for a torn labrum and rotator cuff, an AC joint separation and a slight ligament tear back in November.

Upon his return, Weidman said he still wants Silva. But though White has suggested the champ's next challenge will come from the middleweight division, it won't necessarily be Weidman.

"We're waiting on something and want to see if this thing pans out," White said. "When we're ready to announce it, we'll announce it. [Silva] will defend his title, but it won't be a super fight."
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Rockholddddddddddddd
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

We don't even need to read RD's posts on Silva. What Soares/Anderson wants, RD wants. What Soares/Anderson does not want, RD does not want. When Soares makes a stupid excuse about something that makes no sense, RD is here to defend the stupid excuse with more stupid excuses.

Keep on toeing that line.

i actually agree with what RDs been saying about the two champions thing. Cant have 2 champs in the same divison, they need to unify the belts. Let Weidman get another fight in once he returns from his injury, if he wins that hen give him AS.

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

5. Default

Two champions thing? What is this? The WWE?

I don't care if your Momma gave you a belt and named you the champion of the living room, once you enter the UFC, all belts are null in void.

How can you be a champion of an organization that doesn't exist?
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Unify the belts is just fucking silly. The Org is dead.

"Sorry Johny Hendricks... yer gonna have to wait again, we have to unify the belts and we're giving the next shot to Tarec Saffiedine."

Now that would be fucking funny.

When UFC bought Pride that organization was dead, gone and over with but they gave Dan Henderson a crack at Quinton to "unify" the titles and Dan lost. The very next match they gave Dan was the middleweight title and again Dan lost.
    This argument that because Strikeforce no longer exist doesn't make the argument that Rockhold getting a title shot is null and void. There are other logical arguments against giving Rockhold the fight against Anderson, but I am just pointing out that just because Strikeforce is no more doesn't mean you cannot promote a champ vs champ fight.
    "Victims aren't we all"

"Give them Nothing but take from them Everything"

"Good Humor is like premature ejaculation, you don't plan it, it just comes to you"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    When UFC bought Pride that organization was dead, gone and over with but they gave Dan Henderson a crack at Quinton to "unify" the titles and Dan lost. The very next match they gave Dan was the middleweight title and again Dan lost.
    This argument that because Strikeforce no longer exist doesn't make the argument that Rockhold getting a title shot is null and void. There are other logical arguments against giving Rockhold the fight against Anderson, but I am just pointing out that just because Strikeforce is no more doesn't mean you cannot promote a champ vs champ fight.

Comparing Strikeforce to Pride doesn't sit well with me though. Strikeforce was never considered the better organization. Pride was.

Munoz was #2 when Weidman starched him.

Is anybody else wondering why this thread has been created like three times? lol

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information