Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC And Anderson Silva Not Ready To Commit To Chris Weidman Title Fight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    When UFC bought Pride that organization was dead, gone and over with but they gave Dan Henderson a crack at Quinton to "unify" the titles and Dan lost. The very next match they gave Dan was the middleweight title and again Dan lost.

This argument that because Strikeforce no longer exist doesn't make the argument that Rockhold getting a title shot is null and void. There are other logical arguments against giving Rockhold the fight against Anderson, but I am just pointing out that just because Strikeforce is no more doesn't mean you cannot promote a champ vs champ fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnja View Post
    Comparing Strikeforce to Pride doesn't sit well with me though. Strikeforce was never considered the better organization. Pride was.
    Not only compairing Strikeforce to Pride but also compairing Rockhold to Henderson (who I do believe actually held 2 Pride titles at the time he came to the UFC to fight Jackson).

Anyways, I am at the point where I was with Bisping, just give Anderson his fight of choice (Rockhold it will have to be) and give Weidman a chance to burn off the 'ring rust' before his inenitable title shot. If Anderson is sticking around for another hand full of fights, like it sounds, Weidman will get his shot.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 01-28-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Two champions thing? What is this? The WWE?

I don't care if your Momma gave you a belt and named you the champion of the living room, once you enter the UFC, all belts are null in void.

How can you be a champion of an organization that doesn't exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Not only compairing Strikeforce to Pride but also compairing Rockhold to Henderson (who I do believe actually held 2 Pride titles at the time he came to the UFC to fight Jackson).
    This, this this...

anyone with any sense can see this.

Besides the Hendo/Rampage fight, "unifying belts" was always just a cheap marketing strategy!

If they end up giving Silva someone other than Weidman, it will just give Weidman more experience and a chance to warm back up by fighting another top opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    This, this this...

anyone with any sense can see this.

Besides the Hendo/Rampage fight, "unifying belts" was always just a cheap marketing strategy!

If they end up giving Silva someone other than Weidman, it will just give Weidman more experience and a chance to warm back up by fighting another top opponent.
    Another top opponent...because he has a long list of those already....

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cornute View Post
    When UFC bought Pride that organization was dead, gone and over with but they gave Dan Henderson a crack at Quinton to "unify" the titles and Dan lost. The very next match they gave Dan was the middleweight title and again Dan lost.
    This argument that because Strikeforce no longer exist doesn't make the argument that Rockhold getting a title shot is null and void. There are other logical arguments against giving Rockhold the fight against Anderson, but I am just pointing out that just because Strikeforce is no more doesn't mean you cannot promote a champ vs champ fight.
    Did you really just compare Pride to Strikeforce????

When the fuck the links on the forum lead you to Sherdog

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post

No he compared Hendo coming over from Pride and getting two straight Title Unification fights (LHW/MW) to Rockhold coming over from Strikeforce with yet another MW title. A title belt is a title belt, doesnt matter if its from Pride/Strikeforce/Bellator.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    No he compared Hendo coming over from Pride and getting two straight Title Unification fights (LHW/MW) to Rockhold coming over from Strikeforce with yet another MW title. A title belt is a title belt, doesnt matter if its from Pride/Strikeforce/Bellator.
    What?

Doesnt matter?

Are you trolling or just new to the sport?

OK, first off I agree with everyone saying the title of a dead organization is Null and Void now that the fighter is in a different organization all together (UFC). But to clear things up a little, I think the 'Unification' idea is based on the average Joe Schmo seeing or hearing (from hype) that this guy Rockhold was the Champ of another Org. before jumping ship and coming to the UFC. So of course they'll want to see a so called 'unification fight'. It's just the hardcore fans or people who actually pay some sort of attention to the sport that know better. So I'm thinking this is where the question/want comes from. Pretty much just boils down to the way UFC always handles the fights. Hype, Hype and more Hype. It doesn't really matter who the guy is as long as he can have enough hype built behind him, he's good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

Anyways, I am at the point where I was with Bisping, just give Anderson his fight of choice (Rockhold it will have to be) and give Weidman a chance to burn off the 'ring rust' before his inenitable title shot. If Anderson is sticking around for another hand full of fights, like it sounds, Weidman will get his shot.
    I understand that it doens't sit well but I do believe I am equating apples to apples here. Yes Pride was a rival organization but so was Strikeforce for a time and it had a downturn and folded. Was Strikeforce on the same level as Pride, no....is Rockhold anywhere close to Dan Henderson, I do not believe so.
    The point I was making is that Henderson came from another organization as champion and lost his first fight in to Rampage and was still given a fight against Anderson.
    [CENTER]"The time is almost upon us....
    I will remake this pathetic orb in my image, and then the stars."
    Apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post

I am comparing apples to apples, Pride was a dead organization that the UFC purchased (same as Strikeforce and WEC for that matter). Dan Henderson was the Pride LHW and MW champion, Dan Henderson got a fight with Rampage and lost (his first fight back with the UFC) and after that loss he was given a fight with Anderson Silva.
    You are sticking with your emotions believing Pride was a grand organization (which it was and I do not disagree with you), but you are dismissing that Strikeforce, like Pride, was a rival organization that the UFC purchased and are now absorbing their talent and champions (just as they did with both Pride and the WEC).
    Now that I've gotten that out of the way, since the MW division is in flux and Weidman has not really made much of a name for himself and I believe the UFC could/would have an easier time to promote Rockhold as a champion of another org (They did so fairly well with Jake Shields when they bought him out) than they would with Weidman.

Look, I know what Pride and the competitors of Pride brought to MMA and how having Pride around made the UFC a much better organization by way of competition. I as well know that Dan Henderson by far is one of the best to ever step foot in MMA but I am comparing the situations...if you get upset by that, I cannot help you.
    Apocalypse

For the record I think everyone got hung up on the fact that I made the comparison but missed a slightly valid point...
    "This argument that because Strikeforce no longer exist doesn't make the argument that Rockhold getting a title shot is null and void. There are other logical arguments against giving Rockhold the fight against Anderson, but I am just pointing out that just because Strikeforce is no more doesn't mean you cannot promote a champ vs champ fight."

I didn't state that Rockhold deserved the fight, I didn't say that Rockhold is the fight that had to be made, I didn't even say Rockhold and Hendo are on the same level.
    What I did state is that you CAN promote a champ vs champ fight, and we all know the UFC likes to do what is easiest....that would be it.
    Apocalypse

Thread Information