+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maynard: 'Whether Now or Later, Pettis and I Are on a Collision Course'

Default Maynard: 'Whether Now or Later, Pettis and I Are on a Collision Course'

Maynard: 'Whether Now or Later, Pettis and I Are on a Collision Course'

Gray Maynard: 'Whether Now or Later, Pettis and I Are on a Collision Course' | Bleacher Report

"Pettis is the fight I would love to have," Maynard told Bleacher Report. "At the same time, I understand why he would wait for a title shot. That is what we are all working towards and if that is on his plate then I get sitting out. But things rarely go as planned in this game and if something happens as a result of the Henderson vs. Melendez fight and Pettis decides he's tired of waiting then I'd be happy to oblige him. The way I see it, whether it happens now or later, Pettis and I are on a collision course.

"He does some exciting things inside the cage and I think it would be a great challenge trying to solve that puzzle. I watched him beat Cerrone this weekend, but "Cowboy's" style was the perfect matchup for Pettis to do what he does best. Cerrone comes forward with a straight up and down Muay Thai-style and Pettis was able to dictate space and get off on him. That's not the way I fight and I think I would present some difficult challenges for him."
    "The lightweight division is crazy right now," Maynard said. "You take the top guys and put them in a fight and it's anyone's game on any given day. There is no rankings when it comes to title contention. It is who is winning big fights and making the most noise. Right now that guy is Anthony Pettis and why wouldn't I want to fight him? Check my resume. I've only fought the top guys. I have wins over Frankie Edgar, Nate Diaz, Jim Miller, all who are or have been top-level guys in this weight class.

"I'm kind of in Purgatory right now," Maynard added. "I'm not in Heaven and I'm not in Hell. I'm not on the doorstep of a title shot but I'm not out of the picture either. Having to drop out of the Lauzon fight and the time off has been difficult, but I'm choosing to only focus on the positives. I've had a lot of nagging injuries that have lingered over the past and this time away has allowed me to heal them up and become totally healthy for the first time in years. I'm going to come back stronger and better than ever and the I guarantee I'm making a run at that lightweight title."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Maynard by UD
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Can't wait to see him in the cage again. Though I'm not sure who makes sense for him as a comeback fight. Hard to find someone who's not a step down, isn't already booked, and who isn't a rematch for him.

Maybe we see what TJ Grant can do against a rusty Maynard? I think that's stylistically one of the tougher match up for him if Grant keeps improving.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

4. Default

Now way Pettis stays off his back long enough to do much of anything.

Maynard vs Bendo would be great.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

^IDK man, Pettis is training with Askren now. It wouldn't surprise me if he really ends up learning from that Guida "loss". Especially if we are talking about a 5 round fight, because Gray has seemed to fate late in all of his recent fights imo, whereas I haven't really seen Pettis get tired. He even looked fresher than Bendo at the end of their fight.

Look at how much Frankie improved his wrestling after his 1st loss to Maynard.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-29-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Decided to correct a massive run on sentence.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

This'll be an instance of "size matters".

Maynard is a HUGE LW and now that he's training out of AKA, he'll be working with cardio-centric minded grapplers, who'll have him wired to cut a violently grinding and FAST style. On the flipside, Pettis is quite small at LW and I think he gets put on his back and pressured for fifteen minutes, given zero room to breath and do what he does on his feet. I don't see Pettis keeping it on the feet long enough to be explosive and I think Gray implements his game to a tee and just bullies Pettis into dust.

7. Default

Pettis at 145?

Pettis vs Aldo anyone?
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I'm thinking Aldo will be at 155 soon, plus Pettis will be fine at 155 imo. Dude has been destroying top 10 guys with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I'm sold on his striking, but his wrestling...we just need to see.
    I agree.

He did hold Henderson to only 3 of 10 takedowns in their fight, though, and reversed Henderson twice, and had a couple takedowns of his own, and that's in a 5 round fight against someone with way better cardio and a more well rounded game than a Gray Maynard...but then there's that Guida fight. I just got a hunch he's gonna fill that hole in his game. I think he was a bit overconfident in that fight, and I just think he's hungry as hell now to get that strap.

He's just been looking outstanding, and knows he's got a victory over the current champ. He's very confident, and I think he knows that getting put on his back a few too many times is the only way Bendo can beat him, and I'm sure he'll address that in training. Bendo has definitely gotten better but so has Pettis, will be a great 2nd fight between the 2.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-29-2013 at 05:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information