Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Believes Demetrious Johnson Should Have Been Penalized for Illegal Knee

Default White Believes Demetrious Johnson Should Have Been Penalized for Illegal Knee

Dana White Believes Demetrious Johnson Should Have Been Penalized for Illegal Knee | MMAWeekly.com

In the fourth round of a very close fight, Demetrious Johnson landed an illegal knee to the head of John Dodson, prompting a pause in the fight and a stern warning from referee “Big” John McCarthy. The move happened when Johnson had Dodson pinned against the cage with his hand down and the former Ultimate Fighter winner put his hand on the mat, which signifies a “down fighter”, which then makes knees to the head illegal.

While UFC President Dana White doesn’t necessarily agree with the rule and how fighters tempt fate by place their hand on the mat simply to avoid that particular strike, he believes Johnson should have been penalized for the infraction.

“I hate the hand down, I hate that “if I put my hand down, I don’t have to get kneed in the face”. I don’t like it. The reason that that’s there is for soccer kicks or knees when a guy is really down, not just technical “oh I’m down”, I don’t like it,” White told Fuel TV after the fights ended.
    “I do think the point should have been taken away. Here’s the thing about it too, it was absolutely an illegal knee, but it was an illegal knee that caused damage too. After that he had a mouse on his eye, he definitely got damaged from it, it should have been a point taken away for that.”
    “I have to watch it again before I go talking out of order here because I was up and down and watching it, but I’m pretty sure I gave Dodson the first three rounds, if not I gave him two of the first three rounds,” said White.

“It was a great fight, it was a very close fight, it’s definitely a controversial fight in the scoring, but it was that close, too. The third round was pivotal and that illegal knee is a big deal.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I scored the fight 48-47 for Johnson, but also thought a point should have been taken away for the knee. That would make it 47-47 draw, belt stays with the champ. Either way I would like to see these two fight again. Very entertaining fight and Dodson came fairly close to putting Johnson out a few times. I would pay to see them throw down again, though maybe not immediately.

I don't see how having a hand on the ground and throwing a knee is illegal, but having that hand off the ground and being in the same position is legal. It's a stupid fucking rule. I think the ref made the right call by giving a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I don't see how having a hand on the ground and throwing a knee is illegal, but having that hand off the ground and being in the same position is legal. It's a stupid fucking rule. I think the ref made the right call by giving a warning.
    I would change the rule also, but the fact of the matter is that it IS the rule. The rule was broken, damage occurred and a point should have been deducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Smith View Post
    I would change the rule also, but the fact of the matter is that it IS the rule. The rule was broken, damage occurred and a point should have been deducted.
    I agree, I'm sick of guys landing illegal shots that change the trajectory of the fight and get off with a warning. I don't care if slamming your finger into a guys eye or kneeing him in the balls was an accident; you just landed a crippling yet illegal strike and get no penalty. It's bullshit.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Smith View Post
    I agree. I think it is a dumb rule, although I do understand why they have it b/c like White said when a fighter is really down they need it. I don't understand why the ref can't make a judgement call, I mean they already make the judgement of a tko, so in theory couldn't the ref say "knee away", or "no knee or kick", but I guess it puts even more on a ref in a sport that already demands split second decision.

I apolgize for that paragraph.

Honestly, for this specific incident, I'm not convinced it was an illegal strike. After watching the slowmo replays, I was even less convinced it was illegal. To me, it looked like just as he was making contact, Dodson's hand was lifting off the mat.

Now that's not to say that the force of the blow didn't lift Dodson's hand up, obviously. But it looked like Dodson lifted his hand up a split second before the knee made contact. I wish I didn't erase the fight from my DVR, so I could do a frame by frame. Something just doesn't sit well with me, calling it an illegal strike.

In any other sport when an infraction of the rules happens the person is penalized. If a hockey player slams some guy into the boards he gets a roughing, boarding, charging etc called on him. It sucks for his whole team but he's got to deal with his actions. He doesn't get pulled aside and get a pep talk from the ref.

In mma there's warnings, which I think is bullshit. If you don't know or can't follow the rules of the sport you compete in you deserve to be penalized. No warnings imo, would make all the rules more stern.

With all that said it is a stupid rule and I don't know why they just can't change it. Go through all the legal Bs and paperwork but let's get the ball rolling on some changes instead of bitching about it and dong nothing.

I say both knees down and beyond should be illegal. Have the one knee and three point stance all legal. Atleast make the three point stance legal, that way fighters would have to drop to their knees to avoid strikes.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

I think the rule was meant to be used in association with fighters actually getting up off the ground and being unprepared for a big hit. But, as in all 'rules' there are loopholes that people find to exploit. So these guys like Dodson will bend over when they are in a bad position and sneak a hand down quickly to either A)stop the knees and/or B)catch the aggressor off guard and get a point deducted/warning, since the guy on top can't always see or feel the hand going to the ground. Which I think is bogus bullshit. That type fighting is just as bad as intentional groin kicking and eye gouging in my opinion. Or better yet, crying foul about something that didn't really happen, like a groin kick that landed on the thigh or something of the sort.

So yeah I agree that this rule should be removed/changed. Change it so that it is only in affect when the fighter is getting off the ground from a knee position or some shit. But not in affect when they are just standing there looking for invisible protection of sorts.

I also think the Ref made the right call in just a warning. Because Dodson was defending and just using the hand as a quick throwdown like I stated above. This was not the changing factor in the fight, it didn't seem to take away from Dodson's game one bit. His winging punches and constant running/backing did however.

it was an illegal knee and a point should have been deducted, that said its a lame rule with a lame excuse, dodson's camp should have trained him and told him how to properly protect himself rather than keep playing the game, by the way after the initial knee someone was telling dj when the hand was down and when it was up, i thought it sounded like big john but it makes more sense that it was one of dj's corners does anyone know who it was?

Thread Information