+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jones wants to break Anderson Silva's UFC records prior to losing to a 'younger guy'

Jones is defintely a great fighter and from what he has done will already definitely be remembered. But "one of the greatest", I think its way too soon for that. Like ts been mentioned, I dont think he has caught up to Wanderlei yet when talking about the 205 division. One fight people forgot to mention is his split decision loss to Hunt, a guy not too long ago was being talked about going for a title shot at HW, Silva has the body of a MW, oh and anyone who watched his first fight with CroCop knows he really won that fight, but they had that dumb special rule that a decision would automatically be called a draw... Damn, Wanderlei was a beast!

I think that the 205 division has more star power, their fighters are more marketable, for instance (not trying to put anyone down here) beating Rampage at this stage in his career is really nothing to brag about, hell Bader did it, but it carries a lot of weight given his name. Im just trying to say that I think that what Aldo is doing right now is just as good if not better than what Jones is doing, but I dont see his name being thrown around as an all time great quite yet. Dont want to sound negative, JBJ is a beast and is full of potential, I would definitely put him in the great category, just not yet on the Greatest category.

I don't think Jones is one to overlook anybody he ever fights. Infact, I think he worries too much sometimes. He's one of those guys that's so concerned about his legacy, that I bet he looses sleep at night thinking of ways to beat an opponent.

I really wish he would release a video of him doing jujitsu training though.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Wandy went five years undefeated in Pride. He was beating guys WAY bigger then him, hell he fought CC. Chuck had one hell of run so did Tito and so on.

While Jones is smashing people, (and a well known list of victims), He is bigger than some HWs. I know he is good but I dont see him getting past 7 defences.

For the record my pick is Glover beats him, I can see how Jones would beat him....but I got a feeling that Glover is the one to do it.
    Jones has gone on a tear, beating 4 big names in the span of a year, which is why his name has propelled from up-and-comer to GOAT in less than 2 years.

The debate is about what constitutes "greatness", beating big names or going undefeated for a length of time. Jones has beaten more big names than most, but in a short amount of time. If Jones was to lose to Chael and retire, how would he be remembered? As the GOAT or as a flash in the pan that had unlimited potential?

Wanderlei went undefeated for 5 years, but a lot of his victories were against guys that he should have beaten, and that got beaten by other guys too. If there was a long list of dudes that only had 2 or 3 losses on their records and Wandy was one of them, that would be different.

Chuck did NOT go on a tear. He beat Randy 2x, Tito 2x Jeremy Horn and Babalu during his championship time, which only lasted 2 years. All 4 guys with mediocre striking and strong grappling. Chuck beat a lot of guys moving up the ranks, but remember that was when everyone was a one-trick pony and if you weren't a stellar striker, you didn't stand a chance against Chuck.

Tito sucked unless he was fighting someone that couldn't wrestle.

The great thing about Pride was that over time, guys often fought each other more than once. In today's UFC era, you really only see that if it is a title rematch or if it's an injury replacement. In Pride there's a list of guys that have all fought each other multiple times. Fedor vs. Big Nog 3x - yes please! Once we see that in the UFC, it will be easier to pick a GOAT.

When I log in the preview for this thread is "Jones wants to break Anderson Silva's" and a small part of me gets excited thinking finally Jones is trying to drag Anderson up to 205 so he can destroy him. Then I read the article and get sad...
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

I had a dream this past week that Machida knocked Jones out with a knee off the cage similar to what Pettis did, but while Jones was low to the ground. Hit him square in the jaw. In my dream, I just stared at the TV screen in extreme disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyKnox View Post
    I had a dream this past week that Machida knocked Jones out with a knee off the cage similar to what Pettis did, but while Jones was low to the ground. Hit him square in the jaw. In my dream, I just stared at the TV screen in extreme disappointment.
    That would be the greatest moment in sports history...clearly jmo, but id loooove it

As of right now, he is with out a doubt heading towards being the GOAT. But one loss and that will go out of the window as his wins would thus be discredited do to timing (past prime Shogun, Page, and Hendo if he beats him) and size advantage (not saying I would feel that way).

You can't put an asterisk beside Jones' wins due to size advantage, IMO. It's a 205 lb weight class, both fighters weighed in one day earlier. As for reach, it doesn't mean as much if the talent and skill aren't there. Stefan Struve has looked impressive but we've seen other fighters nullify his size/reach advantage. Jones has some sick striking skills and is a well rounded fighter.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information