Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jones wants to break Anderson Silva's UFC records prior to losing to a 'younger guy'

Default Jones wants to break Anderson Silva's UFC records prior to losing to a 'younger guy'

Jon Jones wants to break Anderson Silva's UFC records prior to losing to a 'younger guy' - MMAmania.com

"I wanna be great. I wanna be like Anderson (Silva). I wanna be remembered and master my craft. I have time to break his records, fighting tons of opponents. I predict that I'll lose one day to somebody. Probably to a guy that's young right now and is extremely dedicated to the sport. I don't have pressure, I feel as though I'm playing catch-up to all these guys who are so intertwined to the sport like Matt Hughes, Anderson (Silva), Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture. I've proven a lot, but there's so much more to be done and that's what keeps me motivated and on fire."

Did I miss something or did bones finally get a pr guy?

is it to soon to call him one of the greatest? I mean theres winning fights, and then there is beating (and finishing minus rashad) Bader/Shogun/Rampage/Machida/Evans/Vitor. Thats a damn good list that not many people can match and hes only 25 years old.

EDIT; and with a win over chael will tie Titos record for consecutive title defenses at LHW
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 01-29-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    is it to soon to call him one of the greatest? I mean theres winning fights, and then there is beating (and finishing minus rashad) Bader/Shogun/Rampage/Machida/Evans/Vitor. Thats a damn good list that not many people can match and hes only 25 years old.

EDIT; and with a win over chael will tie Titos record for consecutive title defenses at LHW
    I know there's a lot of hatred against Jones, but he is easily on his way to becoming one of the most accomplished fighters of all time. Some people may already consider him the best LHW of all time, but that's still going to be disputed. He is currently 17-1 (11-1 UFC), has beaten a crazy list of top contenders and demolished most of them, and has defended the title 4 times already. With a couple of defenses, he should be the undisputed best LHW of all time. Wanderlei, Chuck, Shogun nor Tito will have the resume he has.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

He already has a better list of wins then Anderson will ever have.

I still think Shogun could have beaten Wanderlei handily in pride, but he was a team player, and would not fight his teammate and mentor.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    I see where you are going but not yet my friend...

Wandy went five years undefeated in Pride. He was beating guys WAY bigger then him, hell he fought CC. Chuck had one hell of run so did Tito and so on.

While Jones is smashing people, (and a well known list of victims), He is bigger than some HWs. I know he is good but I dont see him getting past 7 defences.

For the record my pick is Glover beats him, I can see how Jones would beat him....but I got a feeling that Glover is the one to do it.
    For me, Jones right now is not the undisputed best LHW, but will be after a couple more defenses (assuming that he demolishes both too). Although Wanderlei beat some people impressively, went on a big streak, won the title and the grandprix tournament, the quality of many of his opponents were nothing to be that impressed about (during that streak). He still did beat some high level guys like Rampage (brutally 2x), Hendo, Arona and Sakuraba (brutally 3x), but Jones' current streak is comparable (Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Belfort). You're right though that Wanderlei did it being undersized which made it more impressive.

Glover is so well-rounded and has power that he will definitely pose a great challenge to Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    I still think Shogun could have beaten Wanderlei handily in pride, but he was a team player, and would not fight his teammate and mentor.
    I agree. I think Shogun would've beat him down. Too bad Wanderlei lost to Arona in the tournament or we would've seen that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I agree. I think Shogun would've beat him down. Too bad Wanderlei lost to Arona in the tournament or we would've seen that fight.
    Yup. Man, looking back, Shogun had the toughest draw out of anybody in that tournament.

It's been a while since I've seen the fight, but one has to wonder if maybe Wandy didn't exactly try his hardest in that fight against Arona. He was already champ, maybe he wanted to let Shogun have his moment and shine, and didn't want to have to fight his team mate. I doubt it, but it's something interesting to ponder upon...I'll have to re-watch it soon.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    He already has a better list of wins then Anderson will ever have.
    Haters gona hate.

TBear, you think Jones will lose within 4 fights? He has Chael next, then Hendo/Machida, and then Probably goose. After that, I presume it will be glover or a silva super fight. Do you really think that anybody at LhW poses problems for him besides Silva? Keep in mind, Jones looks better and better every fight and is only 25.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Thread Information