Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Serra: “These new guys are tough as sh*t.”

Default Matt Serra: “These new guys are tough as sh*t.”

Matt Serra: "These new guys are tough as sh*t." | Fighters.com

“Well, I guess I’m not fighting Matt Hughes,” Serra said to Rebellion Media, referring to Hughes’ recent retirement and new job announcement with the UFC. “It’s very possible I had my last days in the Octagon, but there was talks about Sean Sherk. He has been injured and out as long as I have I think.”

After a sixteen-month layoff, Sherk also fought at UFC 119 in a winning effort against Evan Dunham. However, injuries have plagued the lightweight ever since.

“I read an interview he did of him talking about how we both came got to the UFC in 2000 or 2001, we both fought in the two weight classes, and we are both close to the same size and height. He sold me on it, I reached out to him,” Serra continued.

With his glory days behind him, the brash New Yorker has no problem admitting its harder to get geared up for fights now that he is settled in his fighting career and family.

“See, it comes down to motivation,” Serra explained. “When you get set and relaxed, and you think of fighting some young buck looking to make a name off of you. It doesn’t get my nipples hard, you know? A Matt Hughes or a Sean Sherk, that’s one thing, but these new guys are tough as sh*t and what’s the upside? I fought a lot of tough people.”

“Every fight I have I want it to sound like a comic book, like Frank Trigg. We came up together, and we hated each other. That’s exciting,” Serra concluded, adding one more hint and who is really on his mind. “Maybe Sherk, I really like that fight.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Matt Serra wants Sherk? Last time I saw Serra on-screen there was no where that dude is making 155!

Make it happen. It's not relevant to the division at all but it's weird they never fought before, so I'd like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemass View Post
    Matt Serra wants Sherk? Last time I saw Serra on-screen there was no where that dude is making 155!
    Probably more then likely expecting Sherk to fight at 170 seen as he has before.

It'll be a 195 catchweight

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

6. Default

Really the only concerns to weight is them both being close to each other. Not like the winner is going on a title run,

7. Default

this is where collapsing the strikeforce name was a bad decision, in my opinion. I would love to see a league where guys no longer at the top of their division can go finish out their careers and have some meaningful and winnable fights to end out their time in MMA. Kind of like the SPGA, but not lame golf.

I like that fight. It would be a good war I think. I dont think it will call for a "Im Back" type speech at the end but possibly a good retirement fight for Serra.

"harder to get geared up for fights"
    i bitch and cry about getting out of bed some times oh my body hurts so bad
    much less a fight at his / my age

Thread Information