Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Couture signs Spike deal, joins Bellator reality series

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I've heard and read ALOT of "Randy's a total prick" stories over the years.

The way he separated from his second wife and the fact that his Team Quest teammates and business partners sided with his wife, was pretty interesting and seems pretty harsh. Things concerning the way he runs/ran Xtreme Couture in Nevada that was pretty jerk-ish, especially the way he handled Shawn Tompkins are pretty illuminating. He's also been quite mercenary in his willingness to fight those who themselves believe are close to him. And then there's his incredulity and hostility to those who even broach the subject of TRT and potential PED usage.

These BE articles give some broad strokes on Couture's less than stellar actions. Other than that, most MMA journalists aside from Loretta take a pretty hard stance on Randy and conflict with the image of "Captain America"

UFC 129 Fight Card: The Other Side of Randy Couture, Part 1 - Bloody Elbow

The Other Side of Randy Couture 2: Randy vs the UFC - Bloody Elbow
    Thanks, I never read that article. All the stuff that you mentioned with the Team Quest issues somehow conveniently slipped my mind. I also was aware of Shawn Tompkins problems, but I remember thinking that it may have been more to do with Tompkins than Couture at the time. Tompkins had a certain way that he ran his practice and drills, and there have been fighters who were not happy with Tompkins either.

I also did side with UFC over the whole lawsuit in 2007, but that's because I felt that he signed a deal and he should have honoured it. Others saw it differently. By no means did I think he was a prick for doing it, it's just that if I had to choose based on what I knew of at the time, I sided with the UFC.

Nonetheless, good points you brought up. I'm half on the Randy Couture is a prick bandwaggon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Thanks, I never read that article. All the stuff that you mentioned with the Team Quest issues somehow conveniently slipped my mind. I also was aware of Shawn Tompkins problems, but I remember thinking that it may have been more to do with Tompkins than Couture at the time. Tompkins had a certain way that he ran his practice and drills, and there have been fighters who were not happy with Tompkins either.
    From what a few of my friends from the London, Ontario area have relayed to me is that Tompkins was brought down to Xtreme Couture with alot of fanfare as being a striking guru and when a bigger fish became availible in boxing champion Gil Martinez, Randy just swept Shawn aside to become a glorified assistant striking coach(not sure where Ron Frazier fits into this). It all just sounded very mercenary and there are similar stories with former training partners, where Randy will just roll over them to improve his own standing.

Keep in mind though, I'm not a Gil Martinez fan and don't like the way he handled Gray's exit from the camp.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo> Rampage View Post
    You just know that when Dana starts doing stuff like this he's about ready to declare open war on Bellator.

As much as he says he's glad he doesn't have to do business with him you also know he's pissed that his name that was primarily built up in the UFC is gonna be used to help promote Bellator.

Thread Information