Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pettis: Liver kick worse than a KO

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    So I guess if I ever decided to start training some MMA I'm going to work out and condition my core an insane amount...God damn liver shots sound horrible.
    I don't think a 6 pack will protect your liver that well. If a blow connects on the liver, it is going to hurt regardless.

Statistically fighters are way more likely to be finished after being dropped by a body shot then a head shot.

As far as the most painful strikes go, the last time I cried was after basketball practice in grade 7. My buddy blindsided me with a north to south elbow straight to the spine. That shit fucking hurts.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

If your abdominals are not contracted then you are gonna crumple. If they are you have a chance of absorbing a blow.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I don't think a 6 pack will protect your liver that well. If a blow connects on the liver, it is going to hurt regardless.
    They denser and thicker the muscle is, the more protected your organs will be. A 6 pack doesn't mean you have strong muscles, just low fat. Still, there's a saying that if a guys body looks soft, chances are his body is soft.

I got hit with a clean left hook to the liver sparring once. I didn't go down but I needed to take a break for like a minute or so. It's a horrible feeling, and if a guy has real power it's devastating.

Zombie is born!

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    They denser and thicker the muscle is, the more protected your organs will be. A 6 pack doesn't mean you have strong muscles, just low fat. Still, there's a saying that if a guys body looks soft, chances are his body is soft.

I got hit with a clean left hook to the liver sparring once. I didn't go down but I needed to take a break for like a minute or so. It's a horrible feeling, and if a guy has real power it's devastating.
    Agree. Body shots, especially to the liver can be horrible.

having more stronger and bigger abdominal muscles can only help lessen the blow, but a good shot will always hurt... but you got to condition yourself for them.

Thread Information