Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nate Diaz to face Thomson at 'UFC on Fox 7'

Default Nate Diaz to face Thomson at 'UFC on Fox 7'

Nate Diaz to face Thomson at 'UFC on Fox 7' | CSN Bay Area

Former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson will return to the octagon on April 20 against Stockton’s Nate Diaz at "UFC on Fox 7."

Fighting out of the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Thomson (19-5) is coming off a controversial split decision loss to Gilbert Melendez last May.

Diaz (16-8) will be looking to bounce back from his unanimous decision loss to current UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson back in December.

Tickets to “UFC on Fox 7” at HP Pavilion in San Jose go on sale Feb. 15.
    Should be fireworks, but I think Nate takes this one. I doubt he'll finish Thomson though.

And the fight takes place on 4/20 so Nate should be in full effect.

So UFC on Fox 7 is officially the UFC vs Strikeforce card then?

I wish he would be fighting Nurmagomedov instead.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Default Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson added to UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose

Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson added to UFC on FOX 7 in San Jose - Bloody Elbow

The UFC vs. Strikeforce theme is just about confirmed with the announcement today that former #1 contender Nate Diaz will welcome Josh Thomson back to the UFC this April at UFC on FOX 7 in the Bay Area. Comcast Sportsnet confirms:

Former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson will return to the octagon on April 20 against Stockton’s Nate Diaz at "UFC on Fox 7."
    Diaz is coming off a lopsided title fight loss against Ben Henderson at UFC on FOX 5 in Seattle. Prior to that he had reeled off 3 straight wins at 155 lbs, including wins against Donald Cerrone and Jim Miller. With this card scheduled for 4/20, there was never any doubt that at least one Diaz would be fighting in this event. Nate's brother Nick frequently fought on San Jose-based Strikeforce shows.

Thomson, who trains in San Jose with American Kickboxing Academy, is making a return to the UFC following an 8+ year absence after Yves Edwards famously knocked him out with a flying head kick. In Strikeforce he's fought Gilbert Melendez 3 times, all for the LW title, with Thomson winning the 1st time and Melendez taking the last two. The 3rd one was a narrow split decision that has very much affected the status of the evening's main event of Melendez against Ben Henderson.

This is the 3rd UFC vs. Strikeforce fight booked, with the aforementioned main event of Bendo/Gil and Frank Mir vs. Daniel Cormier as the others.

its a good fight for sure

This fight is gonna be insane... Diaz by UD.

Its only right to have a Diaz on the 4/20 card IMO. Should be a good fight. I hope he can get the victory. It would be a shame if this wasnt on the main card because this will be fireworks.

Diaz holds a victory over Thompson in a grappling match and to me is the better striker. Agree with those choosing him by UD...

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Meh. Sure, it's going to be a good fight. Nate should put an ass kicking on Thomson, and Thomson should look good in taking it, making for a good show.

I'd rather see Nate fight someone else though.

EDIT: Maybe Thomson will prove me wrong but I doubt it.
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 01-29-2013 at 08:49 PM.

wow great card. ill say nate subs him after some nice strikes.

Thread Information