+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nate Diaz to face Thomson at 'UFC on Fox 7'

Yeah, I had Thomson winning the third Gil fight, however that doesn't solidify him as a legit LW contender in my books, for a few reasons. To me, Thomson is getting up there in age and rarely has a full camp without getting injured going into a fight, not to mention he's known for overtraining and I think training with AKA he's plateaued as a fighter. I think he's a very good, entertaining fighter, but I don't believe he's top tier and don't have confidence in him against somebody like Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I suppose this fight is fine for a bounceback fight for Nate, however Thomson has come out pretty flat in his past few outings, especially the Kawajiri and JZ bouts.
    I agree with the JZ fight, but the Kawajiri one, he only had 2-3 weeks notice where as Kawajiri was in camp for 8 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    and even though Gil's face looked worse for the wear in him and Thompson's third fight, I thought Gil clearly landed more effective strikes and edged Thompson in the grappling department.
    Gil faded badly in the end and Thomson just took over both in grappling and striking. Also, I would not say that Gil edged Thomson in the grappling. Sure he had more takedowns in the fight, but those didn't go anywhere. Thomson actually took his back and nearly secured the RNC to nearly win the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Yeah, I had Thomson winning the third Gil fight, however that doesn't solidify him as a legit LW contender in my books, for a few reasons. To me, Thomson is getting up there in age and rarely has a full camp without getting injured going into a fight, not to mention he's known for overtraining and I think training with AKA he's plateaued as a fighter. I think he's a very good, entertaining fighter, but I don't believe he's top tier and don't have confidence in him against somebody like Nate.
    Thomson has all the tools to be the LW contender, but I do agree that he overtrains too much and is injury prone to another level. Nonetheless, he possesses all the tools to make it a hard fight for Nate. If he implements a strategy like he did against Melendez in the 1st fight, i.e., take advantage of his over-agression, then I see Thomson pulling it out. With that win, he would already be in the talks as being "in the mix".

Yeah, Thompson took over a bit late in the fight,but off of the top of my head I still remember thinking that Gil still 3 rounds to 2.

There is definitely something to be said, though, about the guy who is doing better towards the end of the fight and still has "more fight left in him", but as far as MMA judging criteria goes, thought Gil won 3 rounds to 2.

That's been the story with a few Diaz fights (both bros), they get outwrestled earlier in their fights while taking minimal-mild damage but then they out-cardio their opponent and have a really effective 3rd round while their opponent looks spent, but they just don't have enough time to get it done before the 3rd horn sounds.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-31-2013 at 05:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information