Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White says Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman is 'closer than people think'

Hybrid View

Default White says Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman is 'closer than people think'

Dana White says Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman is 'closer than people think' - Bloody Elbow

In an effort to appeal for contendership, Weidman met with UFC president Dana White on Friday before UFC On Fox 6. Tuesday, on UFC Tonight, Dana gave some details from his talk with Weidman:

Anderson vs Weidman is closer than people think. I actually thought that Weidman was going to be out a lot longer than he was because of his injury, but he's healed up pretty well and he'll be ready to start training in a couple of months. So we're looking at a couple of different options, some options we like, and Weidman is one of them.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

in before the shit strom that will be this thread.........

Back on topic; im not 100% sold on weidman. Give him vitor or rockhold in a true #1 contender match and if he wins he gets AS.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

Back on topic; im not 100% sold on weidman. Give him vitor or rockhold in a true #1 contender match and if he wins he gets AS.
    quote & Print.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Have to sarcastically agree with BonesKnows here.

I mean nothing says champion like not defending your title for over a year which is what it will be if we have Weidman fight Vitor or Rockhold next.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    Have to sarcastically agree with BonesKnows here.

I mean nothing says champion like not defending your title for over a year which is what it will be if we have Weidman fight Vitor or Rockhold next.
    so force AS to fight guys who are not contenders just for the sake of defending the title? Do you not remember the backlash he got for fighting Mia/Leites/Cote

Usually fighters don't make a name for themselves until they get that title shot and that's the simple truth.
    Jones, Gustavsson, DC, Cain, JDS just to name a few that made names for themselves before getting a title shot. Im sure i can come up with tons more those were the ones off the top of my head
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 01-30-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    Usually fighters don't make a name for themselves until they get that title shot and that's the simple truth.
    Jones, Gustavsson, DC, Cain, JDS just to name a few that made names for themselves before getting a title shot. Im sure i can come up with tons more those were the ones off the top of my head
    "Name" really being ability to draw PPV. The crazy knockout artists, especially at HW, might be an exception but it's pretty common for guys to be popular but not really major PPV draws until they reach title-fight level IMO.

In fact, in your list, I don't think Jones was a big draw until post belt (maybe not even immediately then), Goose probably still isn't, and DC definitely isn't.

Why the fuck we gotta wait for the fighters to recover from that #1 matchup.

Weidman has beat far more impressive opponents than Rockhold.

Belfort is on a one fight win streak with a win over a perpetual top 10 who has never beat a top 5 opponent.

It's the WWE fans that want Rockhold vs. Silva.

Honestly if you look at it there isn't really anyone out in the MW division right now who screams title shot. But if we as fans and the UFC agree.. no one will push for the title to be defended and Silva will just sit on his thumbs and try to talk his way out of fighting. I dont think beating Munoz should give anyone an automatic shot but for the sake of the belt put Silva vs Weidman down right now and make a Rockhold vs Lombard a #1 contender match.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

9. Default

GOOD

Weidman has the skillset to give Anderson trouble. Chris' wrestling, GnP, and high level BJJ might give fits to Anderson.

I am a Anderson fan but I think Weidman has the best shot at MW to beat Anderson.
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

He deserves it the most and he should get it.

Thread Information