+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: White says Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman is 'closer than people think'

People who say Weidman doesn't "deserve" the shot are people that I think see the threat Weidman poses but are just in denial.

Bisping, Boestch, Belcher all lost, so Weidman is definitely the frontrunner now IMO. 10 fight contract extension ? Who needs it? Silva will probably retire if they announce this fight. Silva is a great fighter with no heart.

Cung Le is a slower chubby shell of his former self. Rockhold reminds me of a smaller Stephan Bonnar and these are the guys Silva wants to call out? You gotta be kidding me

I don't know that I would say Anderson has no heart.

I think he trains his ass off most of the time and is a pretty tough SOB inside the cage with a lot of resolve. I just agree with everyone else pretty much in that he likes taking fights that are more convenient for him, fights that are an easier payday and will likely lead to another huge up and coming payday right around the corner (well, a 9 month or a year corner in Anderson's case lately)...and if a fight isn't an easier payday than some of the other options he will bitch and moan and talk about wanting to fight others until Dana and Co decide to pay him more.

But I mean, Jones did the same shit with Machida, complaining when asked for a rematch and calling himself a "businessman", and is now fighting Belfort and Sonnen in back to back fights which is just crazy.

But with all that said I agree Weidman is a bad match up for him and I would be pulling for him if they fought, I've been high on him since his first fight in the UFC.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-30-2013 at 04:44 PM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Soares: Weidman and Silva should fight, in Brazil - Mixed Martial Arts News

Anderson Silva’s manager Ed Soares spoke with Brazil's UOL Esporte and said he thinks Chris Weidman should get a title shot, in Brazil.

“Anderson has never refused a fight. If you ask him to face the devil, he will take it. Why did he refuse Weidman? He simply thinks he is still not someone to fight for the belt.

"I have nothing against Chris; I think he’s a great person. But if you ask people, no one knows who he is. They’ll have to spend a lot of money promoting this fight. Anderson has more title defenses than he has professional fights."

"Anderson has told me he really wants to fight in Brazil again. Weidman himself once told me he would be interested in the fight here. So I think that’s what should happen.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

No heart... the guy that got grinded out for 4.5 rounds and never stopped trying to lock a sub until he finally got it at the very end of the fight? Is that the guy with no heart that you are referring to. Yea, its funny that when other fighters do something similar its called good business, but when Silva does it, he is ducking people.

Regardless of who deserves the fight, it has to be very easy to understand why this is a bad fight for Silva, not a bad matchup a bad fight. Once Silva beats Weidman, Weidman will very rapidly become a bum, he wasnt ready, he came off injury he had a very limited list of wins... much like happened to Leites and others he has beat. I mean Forrest was at one point the LHW champ but lost ALL credibility after he lost to Silva. Still Rockhold holds a title and Le has a big name and would make it for an awesome fight to watch stylistically.

I realize the champ should not hand pick his opponents, but at least call him a businesman...

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    Yea, its funny that when other fighters do something similar its called good business, but when Silva does it, he is ducking people.
    The majority of this board does not call champs picking their fights "good business." See the disrespect for Jones on many Vitor/Chael threads; and GSP on the Diaz threads where GSP stated that Hendricks didn't earn the shot.

There's clearly a divide but the silly part is when folks try and pretend it's special treatment; it's not.

That said, the question is really how much of an entrepreneur is a fighter? Certainly many are when it comes to opening gyms, signing sponsorship, etc. But within the UFC, what is their role and what are their responsibilities?

I view them as contract employees with clear stipulations of their work. Thus, work [fighting], in reasonable situations, isn't negotiable. As such, I understand that folks want to make more money, but I wouldn't respect a colleague that did this and I don't respect champs that do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

No heart as in he doesn't seem to believe in himself. Look how much he refused the chael fights, especially the second one. Hendo and marquardt fights also, turns down Weidman by saying he's gonna take the rest of the year off. Weidman has surgery, so he decides on taking another easy fight.

I respect his skill and but not his matchmaking politics.

KenFlo knows more about MMA than ANYONE on these boards, both inside the cage and backstage politics. Yet we are going to have people in this thread talk about how Anderson isn't ducking Weidman and making excuse after excuse.

What has Anderson done to deserve to fight Weidman...

He should have to beat GSP and Jones, back to back... then Possibly the great Mark Munoz... Although that may be too risky, and the UFC knows it.

so when AS outclasses Weidman like he has done to 99% of his opponents in the UFC then what? Will everyone get off the Weidmans dick? Because in the thread posted last week (Where weidman asked who AS has faught) 90% of the thread said Weidman hasnt beat anyone to deserve a title shot. Now everyone is saying in this thread that he DOES deserve it...wtf is going on here?

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information