Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: White says Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman is 'closer than people think'

Don't understand how Chris can say Anderson is ducking him, if that's true, then Chris is ducking every contender at MW by avoiding just one more fight to solidify his case for being the number one contender.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Did KenFlo just say Anderson was ducking Weidman?
    I took his main point from the last sentence about if you are going to call out Le and Rockhold how could Weidman NOT be in there. I would say Kenny is suggesteing AS is cherrypicking but not quite ducking . I may be splitting hairs but am trying to give AS the benefit of the doubt. Which is weird cause I cant stand him....
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

UFC should just make this fight already... That way all this nonsense about Weidman being the biggest threat to Anderson can stop. And when AS destroys Weidman within 3 rounds we can wait to hear about who the next "biggest threat" to AS title is going to be.

Anderson has never refused a fight. If you ask him to face the devil, he will take it. Why did he refuse Weidman? He simply thinks he is still not someone to fight for the belt."

Ha ha. I've never heard the excuse used more than with Weidman that he isn't well known enough. Usually fighters don't make a name for themselves until they get that title shot and that's the simple truth.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    Have to sarcastically agree with BonesKnows here.

I mean nothing says champion like not defending your title for over a year which is what it will be if we have Weidman fight Vitor or Rockhold next.
    so force AS to fight guys who are not contenders just for the sake of defending the title? Do you not remember the backlash he got for fighting Mia/Leites/Cote

Usually fighters don't make a name for themselves until they get that title shot and that's the simple truth.
    Jones, Gustavsson, DC, Cain, JDS just to name a few that made names for themselves before getting a title shot. Im sure i can come up with tons more those were the ones off the top of my head
    Last edited by BonesKnows; 01-30-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishX(aka bornbear) View Post
    Usually fighters don't make a name for themselves until they get that title shot and that's the simple truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Jones, Gustavsson, DC, Cain, JDS just to name a few that made names for themselves before getting a title shot. Im sure i can come up with tons more those were the ones off the top of my head
    "Name" really being ability to draw PPV. The crazy knockout artists, especially at HW, might be an exception but it's pretty common for guys to be popular but not really major PPV draws until they reach title-fight level IMO.

In fact, in your list, I don't think Jones was a big draw until post belt (maybe not even immediately then), Goose probably still isn't, and DC definitely isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

7. Default

I don't understand how people can claim he is unworthy of a title shot. His ranking shows otherwise:

rankingmma

Weidman at #2

MMAWeekly

Weidman at #3 (behind Vitor)

Fightmatrix

Weidman at #4 (behind Chael and Vitor; Chael is still in the MW rankings because he had a fight within the last 450 days)

MMAPlayground

Weidman at #2

sherdog

Weidman at #3 (behind Sonnen)

Bloody Elbow

Weidman at #2

Most places have Weidman ranked as the #2 MW in the world. A few have fighters like Chael and Vitor ranked ahead of him. Both those guys have recently fought and lost to the champion.

Saying he doesn't "deserve" the title shot is kind of silly.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    The majority of this board does not call champs picking their fights "good business." See the disrespect for Jones on many Vitor/Chael threads; and GSP on the Diaz threads where GSP stated that Hendricks didn't earn the shot.

There's clearly a divide but the silly part is when folks try and pretend it's special treatment; it's not.

That said, the question is really how much of an entrepreneur is a fighter? Certainly many are when it comes to opening gyms, signing sponsorship, etc. But within the UFC, what is their role and what are their responsibilities?

I view them as contract employees with clear stipulations of their work. Thus, work [fighting], in reasonable situations, isn't negotiable. As such, I understand that folks want to make more money, but I wouldn't respect a colleague that did this and I don't respect champs that do this.
    You really don't think that Anderson gets it worst than other fighters in this board? I just have a feeling that some of the same people that think Anderson is actually afraid to fight Weidman are also the same people who a year down the line will add Weidman to the list of "bums" that Anderson has beat.

Point is who gives a fuck what you think whether he's done enough for the fight. All the other contenders minus Weidman have lost. Unless you people rather have him sit out the whole year or watch him fight Keith Jardine at lhw to "test" himself again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    You really don't think that Anderson gets it worst than other fighters in this board? I just have a feeling that some of the same people that think Anderson is actually afraid to fight Weidman are also the same people who a year down the line will add Weidman to the list of "bums" that Anderson has beat.
    Meh, there are Silva nuthuggers and there are Silva haters both on this board. But you said:

Yea, its funny that when other fighters do something similar its called good business, but when Silva does it, he is ducking people.
    And I was disagreeing with that. When it comes to picking challengers, there's some disagreement on the board as to whether it's good business or inappropriate behavior. But I don't see many people saying Silva shouln't but excusing other champs for doing it, like you suggest. I think the forums are pretty consistent on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Thread Information