+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: White says Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman is 'closer than people think'

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    I can't see him being the best because he beat Munoz or Maia. Vitor could have done that on his lunch break. If he can beat Vitor, he's the man.
    You could say the same thing about Weidman beating 1x dimensional Akiyama, bloated and dehydrated Johnson and perennial choker Bisping. Weidman has unquestionably beaten better competition at middleweight than Vitor, but Weidman has to beat Vitor to prove himself? Why? Because of Vitor's reputation? Past achievements in different orgs and weightclasses? That undefinable "Vitorness" that constantly has him ranked around the top-5 at middleweight despite not beating a top-5 middleweight in the UFC, ever?

People run down Maia and Munoz but I've yet to see any of his detractors look at their rankings at the time Weidman fought them and suggest anyone - anyone - who should have been ranked higher than them.

I'm with AnchorPunch in that Weidman should fight again due to the injury layoff, but that's the only reason.

I could be wrong, I don't know. The MW division is pretty talented, it always looks like the weakest division, but that's due to how Anderson makes the top MW contenders look. Chris could be the man, but I just don't see it.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Look at the top 10 at WW right now (guys like Condit, Hendricks, Rory, Fitch, Diaz, Kos, Ellenberger, etc), then look at the top 10 at MW (Weidman, Belfort, Bisping, Boetsch, Phillipou, Okami, etc).

WW is without a doubt the more talented division.

Moreover, look at GSP's recent title defenses (Condit, Shields, Kos, Hardy, Alves, Penn, Fitch, etc..) compared to Silva's (Sonnen x2, Maia, Leites, Cote, Hendo, Franklin etc).

While looking for a MW contender, we can't help but think in terms of "who hasn't fucked up too much recently..." I mean, you guys are arguing about whether anyone at MW deserves a shot.

Whereas you could give a shot to half the guys in the top 10 at WW without people saying they didn't deserve it. If anything, they would argue about who deserves it MORE.

That's the difference between MW and WW. (And 15 lbs)
    I dont think we will ever agree, but the way I see it, if you match them up you will see that its hard to make an argument that one is better than the other...

Sonnen = Fitch
    Okami <= Kos
    Belfort >= Hendricks
    Maia >= Hardy
    Weidman <= Rory

Can you really argue that these 5 pair ups are not very evenly matched? The difference is, had GSP beaten Kos with a front kick in the first round, would you still think he is as good?

Same thing goes for Hughes v Ace (Franklin)... Ace's record was insane before the Silva fight, but its hard to say he is as good as Huges because of what Silva did to him, while Hughes actually beat GSP in their first fight, but that doesnt make Hughes a better fighter than Ace, at least not in my book...

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    I dont think we will ever agree, but the way I see it, if you match them up you will see that its hard to make an argument that one is better than the other...

Sonnen = Fitch
    Okami <= Kos
    Belfort >= Hendricks
    Maia >= Hardy
    Weidman <= Rory

Can you really argue that these 5 pair ups are not very evenly matched? The difference is, had GSP beaten Kos with a front kick in the first round, would you still think he is as good?
    I don't agree with some of your rankings, but even so, I'm not sure why handpicking an arbitrary group of 5 really means much. I'd say you have to look into the depths of the division as well - where does one division keep the talent and where does another drop off.

I would say that much of the depth to WW is pretty new though and it was a shallow division for a couple of years there. It's really picked up recently and I think, subsequently, MW is picking up too.

Good time to be a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    But with all that said I agree Weidman is a bad match up for him and I would be pulling for him if they fought, I've been high on him since his first fight in the UFC.
    Every wrestler says they are a bad match up for him. Essentially any fighter that can successfully smother fuck their way to victory is a threat. Who knows though their age difference is a big disadvantage for Silva and I suppose anything can happen.

I personally predict both GSP and Silva to drop their titles in one of their next 2 title defenses. Noone can stay on top forever and its about that time.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Weidman will be the best wrestler he's faced though, besides Chael, and we all know that Chris's BJJ is much better than Chael's. Plus I don't think Chris will become a mental midget when faced with adversity like Chael and Okami.

Would not surprise me to see GSP and Anderson lose soon though, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Weidman will be the best wrestler he's faced though, besides Chael, and we all know that Chris's BJJ is much better than Chael's. Plus I don't think Chris will become a mental midget when faced with adversity like Chael and Okami.

Would not surprise me to see GSP and Anderson lose soon though, tbh.
    I'm calling it right now. If an when Silva faces Chris, he will beat him with the exact same strategy he used to beat Bonnar and Sonnen the second time. Stand against the fence, weather the storm, and bust his opponent up as they're trying to get close.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    I'm calling it right now. If an when Silva faces Chris, he will beat him with the exact same strategy he used to beat Bonnar and Sonnen the second time. Stand against the fence, weather the storm, and bust his opponent up as they're trying to get close.
    I agree that Silva beats Weidman but I'm curious to see which Silva shows up... With Weidman talking smack but not so over the top that it's clearly a game (unlike Sonnen); with Kenflo now on national television talking about Silva... Man, I wonder if we're going to see some Silva/Maia-esque antagonism in the cage.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information