Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 144

Thread: White says Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman is 'closer than people think'

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    5,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    I'm calling it right now. If an when Silva faces Chris, he will beat him with the exact same strategy he used to beat Bonnar and Sonnen the second time. Stand against the fence, weather the storm, and bust his opponent up as they're trying to get close.
    I doubt it.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Weidman will be the best wrestler he's faced though, besides Chael, and we all know that Chris's BJJ is much better than Chael's. Plus I don't think Chris will become a mental midget when faced with adversity like Chael and Okami.

    Would not surprise me to see GSP and Anderson lose soon though, tbh.
    Chris has the better standup too.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, because I don't know how to interpret those arrow/equal signs.

    As much as I love Rich Franklin, Matt Hughes is undoubtedly more accomplished in his division and career.

    And I love Sonnen, but Fitch is better rounded, more accomplished, and would probably have reigned as the WW champ for quite a while if GSP wasn't in the picture. The same could not be said for Chael.
    Fitch is 3-2-1 against top 10 fighters. He's not nearly as good as people make him out to be. I don't see how he's more accomplished then Sonnen.

    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    The rest of those guys, we could mix and match, but as a whole, the MW would certainly lose because of guys like Cote, Lutter, and Leites. Hell, Jake Shields holds wins over two of Anderson's former MW contenders (Okami and Hendo).

    Like I said, the MW guys are talented... but WW is a little deeper.
    I don't buy your argument one bit. Din Thomas, BJ Penn, hell Shonie Carter have wins over Matt Serra and he dominated GSP, and 2 of those guys aren't even top 30. So WW is clearly a shit division. Or how about Jon Fitch getting drawed by BJ Penn? Carlos Condit has a loss to Pat Healy, who is a LW who isn't ranked.

    And who exactly are these guys lining up to challenge GSP? Outside of Hendricks, everyone is coming off of losses. And Hendricks has a loss to Rick Story, who's barely top 20.


    Zombie is born!

  4. #54
    Kimbo> Rampage Guest

    Default

    Okami-Fitch
    Vitor-Condit
    Lombard-Alvez
    Sonnen-Koscheck
    Weidman-Rory
    Hendo-Hendricks

    Some comparative MW's who Anderson has fought/could fight compared to the upper WW's... Look at them skill wise and stylistically.

    yep... its clear as day, the MW's cant hold a candle to them...

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    Okami-Fitch
    Vitor-Condit
    Lombard-Alvez
    Sonnen-Koscheck
    Weidman-Rory
    Hendo-Hendricks

    Some comparative MW's who Anderson has fought/could fight compared to the upper WW's... Look at them skill wise and stylistically.

    yep... its clear as day, the MW's cant hold a candle to them...
    Thank you sir! glad to know I'm not alone on this one. people talk about Leites and Cote and forget that Matt Serra carried WW gold, they forget that Dan Hardy is on a good day a B level fighter.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,730

    Default

    Yes, Weidman is the #1 contender, and yes, Anderson is ducking him. For what reasons? You'd have to be Anderson or privy to backstage details to know for sure. Of course Weidman is a bad match up, but we've all seen way too fucking much from Anderson to question his heart or toughness in the cage.

    Put yourself in Anderson's shoes and evaluate the risk/reward ratio. If Ellenberger pulls the upset and beats Big Rig, and GSP beats Diaz, then a potential superfight between Anderson and GSP is very much back on the table. I think the Silva camp is hedging right now and waiting to see what happens at UFC 159. With all the hype that's building up (on forum threads just like this one) Weidman may prove to be a successful draw. Hell, Weidman may be the only draw if Anderson wants to make Anderson Silva money at any point this year, cause he sure as hell isn't looking to fight Jon Jones.

    I have a hard time imagining Rashad being shoe-horned into a MW title fight, especially since he's so damn non-committal on the subject. He can talk the talk, but I don't get the sense that he's begging for an AS title shot. Rashad would need to pull off another Chuck Liddell-like KO to jump past Weidman, IMO.

    Am I the only one who thinks it's a bad idea for Chris Weidman to be fighting a monster like Anderson straight off shoulder surgery? If I were him, I'd be looking for a tune up fight. Be careful what you wish for, Chris.
    Last edited by trustkill; 01-31-2013 at 10:35 PM.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it's a bad idea for Chris Weidman to be fighting a monster like Anderson straight off shoulder surgery?
    Not alone on that one, I can see a very realistic scenario where he loses pretty bad to Anderson, tries to bounce back with a big fight like Vitor, loses and there he goes into obscurity...

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    5,782

    Default

    "WW is clearly a shit division"...Really!?

    Just because GSP had 1 bad fight doesn't mean he's a shit fighter. He's obviously one of the best in the world.

    Plus, what about Jake Shields, who nobody mentioned, having victories over 2 of the guys everybody is talking about when comparing the 2 divisions (Hendo and Okami)? Those are guys who are a weight class above his natural weight. What about the fact that Marquart has lost to a few guys most people have never heard of?

    Look at all the guys at WW now. GSP, Diaz, Hendricks, Condit, Rory, Maia, Fitch, Koscheck, Kampmann, Alves, Shields, Ellenberger, Marquardt, Woodley, Eric Silva...then you got guys like Hughes (obviously) and Lytle that were badass in their day as well...that's alot of freakin depth.

    When it comes to top 5 or so MW can compare but when we're talking top 10-15 I think WW takes it clearly. IMO it's between WW and LW for the most talented overall division as of right now.
    Last edited by dbader08; 01-31-2013 at 10:59 PM.

  9. Default

    First of all, let me state that we were discussing which division (MW or WW) was tougher/deeper/more talented. Therefore, pointing out that some of the top guys at MW have lost to the top guys at WW helps strengthen that argument. You pointing out some LW fighters who have wins over WW fighters doesn't carry as much weight since most people regard LW as the toughest division in the UFC.

    Now, as far Matt Serra goes... he's not a top ten fighter. He didn't earn his title shot by working his way up the rankings. He got it by winning the reality show. And although he does hold a victory over GSP, I don't think anyone is ever going to accuse him of being a better fighter than Georges.
    Sometimes people get caught... just ask Anderson how he did against WW Ryo Chonan and Daiju Takase. Sometimes shit happens. And if we're going to compare embarrassing losses on people's records, Chael...


    And who exactly are these guys lining up to challenge GSP? Outside of Hendricks, everyone is coming off of losses. And Hendricks has a loss to Rick Story, who's barely top 20.
    Everyone is coming off losses? You mean Fitch didn't beat Erick Silva? Ellenberger didn't pick up a win over Jay Hieron? Shields victory-turned-no-contest means he lost to Ed Herman? Rory didn't destroy BJ?

    I realize this argument is very subjective, so maybe we should just post a poll and see what the results are. I'm actually curious now, because I really wasn't expecting people to disagree with me about WW being tougher.
    ------------------

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    Not alone on that one, I can see a very realistic scenario where he loses pretty bad to Anderson, tries to bounce back with a big fight like Vitor, loses and there he goes into obscurity...
    Based off of this I would have to say you are a fan who watches without understanding exactly what's going on on a technical level. Chris's grappling skills are at an extremely high level, he is proficient at striking and is a young, big, athletic man. Win or lose vs Anderson, there is no way a healthy weidman fades "into obscurity".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •