Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Hughes nearly quit fighting in 2001, regrets never facing Anderson Silva

Default Matt Hughes nearly quit fighting in 2001, regrets never facing Anderson Silva

Matt Hughes nearly quit fighting in 2001, regrets never facing Anderson Silva | News

Hughes, who today gave a wide-ranging interview to MMAjunkie.com Radio (MMA Radio, UFC Radio - MMAjunkie Radio), said he felt stale in fighting and was disappointed by back-to-back losses in 2000-2001 to Dennis Hallman and Jose "Pele" Landi-Johns.

"I wouldn't say depressed, but I just wasn't very hip on the fighting," he said.

So he made a deal with himself: Win against Newton, and he would continue to fight. Lose, and he would go back to his farm in Hillsboro, Ill.

Fighting at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in the co-main event of the second UFC card sanctioned by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Hughes and Newton squared off on Nov. 2, 2001. In the second round, Newton locked in a triangle choke and proceeded to squeeze the air out of Hughes, whose instincts told him to pick up his opponent for a slam.

What happened next is part of MMA lore. The pair collided with the cage, still locked together, and paused briefly before Hughes slammed Newton to the mat. Unbeknownst to everyone at the time, he had lost consciousness on the trip south.

Hughes literally woke up the UFC welterweight champion of the world.

Three years later, he would still hold the title after defending the belt five times. He would lose it in 2004 to B.J. Penn, but win it back the same year for another two-year run that saw him defend the belt twice more.

Hughes' record of six consecutive title defenses still hasn't been beat, although Georges St-Pierre, whom he defeated once and lost to twice, has tied it.

In 2010, Hughes joined the UFC Hall of Fame.

If the 39-year-old has any regrets in his octagon career, it's that he wasn't able to move up to middleweight to fight for a title. He said he would have fought Evan Tanner for the belt if Tanner had beaten his longtime friend Rich Franklin at UFC 53, but Franklin won, and told the UFC he wouldn't face Franklin at the conclusion of "The Ultimate Fighter 2."

"Anderson Silva," Hughes said of the fighter he most wanted to face. "I always wanted to go up to 185 to put the belts together."

Instead, Hughes settled in at welterweight. He said his first rematch with Penn, which saw him earn a third-round TKO, and a first-round TKO of Royce Gracie remain among his favorite memories in the UFC.

Following back-to-back losses to Penn and Josh Koscheck, Hughes fought both UFC President Dana White and his wife to keep fighting. He was unsuccessful, but now has adjusted to the idea he won't be coming back. And unlike other fighters, he said he won't change his mind.

The decision doesn't rest on the outcome of a fight.

"I will not come back and be in the octagon again," he said.

Prime Hughes against young Anderson would have been very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Prime Hughes against young Anderson would have been very interesting.
    Very. Hughes' wrestling, top game, and GnP would have made that a very intersting fight. Same reason I really want to see Silva take on GSP, just not at 170. But before this gets carried away, lets not turn this into another GSP/Silva thread

i would have picked hughes over anderson (hughes in top UFC form and silva in his not-nearly-there pride form) at the time. but when he was talking about facing silva three years ago? yeesh. steve mazzagatti would have stopped the fight at the weigh-in
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    yeesh. steve mazzagatti would have stopped the fight at the weigh-in

This made me wonder if it was a jab at GSP, a little push for him to fight Silva. But maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

6. Default

Hughes would of won in 2001
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

7. Default

In before the Anderson-ites start saying Hughes is a more interesting fight then weidman, and Weidman should have to fight a grizzly bear before he's a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    yeesh. steve mazzagatti would have stopped the fight at the weigh-in
    You sir are awesome!

Glad Hughes didn't hang em up back then. I might not be as big of an mma if he had.

Hughes and Silva were supposed to fight at UFC 36 but visa issues got in the way.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

who else could we have seen fight hughes back at the time? gomi at 170? gono in 2004-5ish? sakuraba even?
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Thread Information