Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rashad Evans ahead of Chris Weidman for Anderson Silva's next title fight

Default Rashad Evans ahead of Chris Weidman for Anderson Silva's next title fight

Rashad Evans ahead of Chris Weidman for Anderson Silva's next title fight - Bloody Elbow

Just 2 days before Rashad Evans' next fight, Dana White adds an extra incentive to the bout. If Evans wins against Lil Nog, he'll be given the option of of challenging Anderson Silva for the Middleweight belt.

Just a few days ago, UFC president Dana White told UFC Tonight that Chris Weidman's title shot was "closer than people think." It seemed like good news for Weidman as he's been campaigning for that shot for the last six months. However, White did qualify his statement by saying Chris was only one of the options the UFC is looking at for Anderson Silva's next fight.

Thursday during the media scrum for UFC 156, White revealed the option for the next Middleweight contender:

As White said, before he gets a chance at Silva, Rashad Evans will first have to get past Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 156 this Saturday. That fight will be Rashad's first since losing a lopsided decision to Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones at UFC 145 in April 2012.

Rashad has recently talked about a potential fight with Silva. While he says he's confident that he can beat pound-for-pound great, he's been concerned with his ability to cut the extra 20 lbs. to hit the Middleweight limit.
    Damn, yesterday Chris Weidman was "closer than we think" to get a title shot. Look how much can change in 48 hours. Good grief.

The title is very misleading. He just says that if Rashad were to move 185 he'd be considered for the next shot.

Rashad SHOULD need at least one win at 185 before challenging for the title. I mean, he's coming off of a loss as it is so theoretically he shouldn't be anywhere near a title shot. I'm kind of hoping that he loses just so he doesn't get a chance to fight Silva.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    The title is very misleading. He just says that if Rashad were to move 185 he'd be considered for the next shot.
    I think if you read between the lines, Rashad is the guy Anderson would prefer to fight. Hence, he's ahead of Weidman, assuming he wins and accepts the fight. Personally, I don't think Rashad wants to fight Anderson that bad, but it's his opportunity to lose/reject. That's why he's ahead of Weidman.

This is a bad idea IMO. Rashad tired out against Jones and didnt have to cut 20lbs for that fight. I have serious doubts if Rashad could cut 20lbs and still have anything left. I agree if he wants to fight Anderson he should have to fight a top contender at 185 first.

Well, since Rashad isn't going to be fighting for the LHW belt any time soon, why not drop down, headline a PPV, make a boatload of additional money and possibly win the MW title? Losing to Silva doesn't knock you back in the rankings that much and he has some time to kill before Jones moves to HW. Let's just hope he doesn't forget he's a wrestler and relive his Machida fight.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenWarrior View Post
    Losing to Silva doesn't knock you back in the rankings that much . . .
    True, but Silva might knock him out of consciousness though. That's a good reason not to drop down.

8. Default

Rashad can have a shot he has a fight coming so by the the he's ready Chris can have his.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I don't think it's misleading. It's down to him and Weidman. Basically, it's if Rashad wins, he would consider Rashad versus Anderson. If he loses, it probably goes to Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Rashad SHOULD need at least one win at 185 before challenging for the title. I mean, he's coming off of a loss as it is so theoretically he shouldn't be anywhere near a title shot. I'm kind of hoping that he loses just so he doesn't get a chance to fight Silva.
    Well if he wins on Saturday, he would be coming off a win. Sure he should have at least one win at 185 but that didn't stop Chael from getting a shot who lost at 185 in his last fight, and never won at 205. Nick Diaz loses and gets suspended and gets a shot. Hell Frankie lost his last 2 fights and is getting a shot. I'm not supporting this decision, but given UFC's logic latey, this doesn't look like the worst title decision they will be making. At least Rashad would've came off a win.

10. Default

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information