Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar staredown pic from UFC 156 media day in Las Vegas and more

Aldo is a 2 to 1 favorite. I figured I'd be a bargainer. Big difference between that and being scared. If I was scared I wouldn't have made the offer. Your favorite fighters are Jones, Anderson, Aldo, etc...so of coarse you'd be hopeful that people just do straight up bets with you all the time lol I do think Frankie has the style to be able to win but this isn't exactly a pick-em fight imo.

But thanks to Kevo for taking this off my hands, I'm sure he will have something interesting in store if he wins, and if he loses, better his sig be in CTGreat's hands than mine lol

Sakara, the whole intention of me posting in the 1st place was because you said this will look like Faber-Aldo, to which I replied with my opinion of Frankie being a better fighter. Then you said "so now Frankie is leaps and bounds ahead of Faber in his prime?"

There is no denying that Jens Pulver was well past his prime when Faber beat him, or that Gray Maynard and Ben Henderson's resume' is a lot more impressive than Assuncao's. Mike Brown is definitely a good fighter, that I know, but I also don't see him as being on their level. Plus anyone who saw that fight knows that Faber got KO'd because he made a HUGE mistake. It wasn't like Brown did something amazing, he literally just threw a straight right hand with his feet planted when Faber got really overzealous.

Plus, he still dominates the shit out of guys he should beat and loses his big fights. That's always been the story with him. So I don't see how his prime was right when he fought Aldo. Plus there's that whole part about how Frankie has been fighting a weight class above where he should have probably been fighting his whole career.

No reason to get all crybaby-ish, we just disagree.
    Last edited by dbader08; 02-01-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Want the outcome of this fight? See. Faber, Urijah
    Exxcept Edgars got waay better boxing, better Footwork and head movement, Better TDS, More power, better chin, more heart.

The only thing thats the same with these two guys is that they're wrestlers. And thats something I think Edgar has the edge in over Faber...

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Ben Henderson and Gray Maynard>>>>>>>Brown, Assuncao, and Pulver.

Plus, alot of people, like me, feel that Frankie won the 2nd Maynard fight and the 2nd Henderson fight.
    I agree with all this but you forgot Penn as well. Penn and Maynard are easily the best guys on Frankies resume..and As much as I love Faber, Curran/Pulver and Assuncao dont really stacked up to those guys...no one of Fabers list does.

And more importantly it wasnt just "us" that thought Frankie won those fights, Tons of media sites/journalist and fighters thought so to. They WERE close fights no one can deny that imo. Faber/Brown 1 was certainly not. And neither was Brown 2.

WITH all this said. Im scared as fuck for Frankie, this will be the first fight of his since the Sherk fight that I wont be betting on. Im litterally nervous to watch because I dont want to see Frankie get destroyed.

But man oh man if he can pull it off, My neighbors will hear how happy I am.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Aldo is a 2 to 1 favorite. I figured I'd be a bargainer. Big difference between that and being scared. If I was scared I wouldn't have made the offer. Your favorite fighters are Jones, Anderson, Aldo, etc...so of coarse you'd be hopeful that people just do straight up bets with you all the time lol I do think Frankie has the style to be able to win but this isn't exactly a pick-em fight imo.

But thanks to Kevo for taking this off my hands, I'm sure he will have something interesting in store if he wins, and if he loses, better his sig be in CTGreat's hands than mine lol
    I'm down, WHERE YOU AT CT?! Break yo self fool!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

4. Default

Sometimes I think people just don't read on this site. Sigh.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Be nice if people wouldn't bring up opinion-based claims like "Aldo fought Faber in his prime" without much evidence as well...and also be more clear about what exactly the point is they are trying to make.

Even if Faber was moreso in his prime then, is Frankie not in his prime now? He looked very good in his last fight imo.

Plus, where they are or where they were in their careers is not as important to me as breaking down their styles, skill sets, and intangibles...

This fight could end up looking like Aldo-Faber, Aldo definitely has some great leg kicks and could possibly implement and have success with a similar gameplan...I Just think Frankie is a better fighter than Faber but that's why we watch them fight, I guess.
    Last edited by dbader08; 02-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.

I ended up going with Aldo by 2nd rd TKO, I thought long n hard about this fight and up until today had Edgar winning a UD..

The 2 things that I got to thinking about..

#1. Maynard went and trained with Aldo in preparation for Aldo's fight with Mendes and came back from Brazil utterly stunned with how good Aldo really is, He also stated he thought Aldo could be a champion at 155 if he wanted to be..And watching Gray slow telegraphed punches connect with Edgar as often as he did it only makes me think Aldo is going to severely brutalize Frankie.

# 2. If this fight makes it past round 3 I can almost promise you Frankie out works Aldo to the W...See Aldo/Hominick
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Thread Information