Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Chandler to train with brother Jon Jones at Jackson's MMA

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    18,910

    Default Chandler to train with brother Jon Jones at Jackson's MMA

    Chandler to train with brother Jon Jones at Jackson's MMA - Mixed Martial Arts News


    Even after a standout rookie season with the New England Patriots, Chandler Jones knows he can improve, and is taking lessons from an older brother to do so.

    Oldest brother Arthur Jones is a defensive lineman for the Baltimore Ravens, on his first trip to the Super Bowl. But even with Arthur’s wealth of knowledge and experience in the NFL, it’s actually Chandler’s other brother, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones, 25, who he plans to learn from this offseason.

    “I’m headed to Albuquerque, New Mexico to do some MMA training. We’re going to do some conditioning down there,” said Chandler in a recent interview.

    The youngest Jones, just 22 years old, believes that the MMA training will actually help him become more agile against blockers and just a better pass rusher overall.

    “That definitely helps you,” Jones said. “Jon has a boxing coach, a muay thai coach and a jiu jitsu coach. That helps a lot when you’re tugging, playing in the trenches. My biggest thing is I try to get my hands inside before blockers touch me so if I work on my hand speed, that’ll be a great aspect to add to my game.”

    Even with an impressive first season, Jones can’t be happy to watch the Super Bowl from the sidelines this week, and he’ll undoubtedly be using his brother’s assistance to be on the field for the game at this time next year.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    Shit, I read the headline and thought this was Michael Chandler. Was trying to make sense of how he could be brother to Jon Jones. I need a 5 hour energy or something.

  3. #3
    dimerules28 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Shit, I read the headline and thought this was Michael Chandler. Was trying to make sense of how he could be brother to Jon Jones. I need a 5 hour energy or something.
    Lol no you don't... I thought the exact same thing... It'a pretty reasonable to think its Michael chandler, the name in the title should be changed and add the first name.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kelowna, BC
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Training MMA makes sense for NFL players in the off-season. After Charles Tillman on Chicago started crediting his MMA training for his outstanding ability to force fumbles, I figured more players would start doing this. Plus guys like Mitrione and Shawn Jordan showed that big athletic football players can get to the UFC and have success very early. A lot of NFL players are out of football well before their 30th birthday, which gives you plenty of time to make a move to MMA.

    On a side note, can you imagine how crazy the UFC HW division would be if they could attract the top athletes out there. Everyone knows the best HW sized athletes in the US are in the NFL and NBA, but what if the younger kids in the future get into MMA. HW is my least favorite division, other than maybe FlyW, but if they had athletes like Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Julius Peppers, Calvin Johnson, Ndamukong Suh, or Adrian Peterson, it would get much more exciting.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Desert.
    Posts
    2,409

    Default

    Those are some happy parents. Because they sure have a lot of successful children.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

    Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

    "He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    On a side note, can you imagine how crazy the UFC HW division would be if they could attract the top athletes out there. Everyone knows the best HW sized athletes in the US are in the NFL and NBA, but what if the younger kids in the future get into MMA. HW is my least favorite division, other than maybe FlyW, but if they had athletes like Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Julius Peppers, Calvin Johnson, Ndamukong Suh, or Adrian Peterson, it would get much more exciting.
    Rep'd, rep'd, rep'd. I make this exact point to all my friends who are casual fans. I always wondered what a physical specimen like Brian Urlacher could have done if his focus was MMA.

    Stephen Neal (former Pro Bowl offensive lineman for Patriots) was the only man to defeat Brock Lesnar in the 1999 NCAAs.

    The UFC heavyweight division would be stacked through the roof if the NFL talent pool fought competitively.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kelowna, BC
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Rep'd, rep'd, rep'd. I make this exact point to all my friends who are casual fans. I always wondered what a physical specimen like Brian Urlacher could have done if his focus was MMA.

    Stephen Neal (former Pro Bowl offensive lineman for Patriots) was the only man to defeat Brock Lesnar in the 1999 NCAAs.

    The UFC heavyweight division would be stacked through the roof if the NFL talent pool fought competitively.
    Ya I do the same thing with my casual fan friends, especially because most of them are football fans. Stephen Neal is a great example, he would have been HW champ in no time if he chose UFC over NFL. But who would do that when you probably make 10x as much in the NFL.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    8,762

    Default

    I definitely thought Michael Chandler when I first read the title, but I didnt notice the
    "brother" part.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •