Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC to Offer Fighter Rankings

Default UFC to Offer Fighter Rankings

UFC to Offer Fighter Rankings | UFC &reg - News

FIGHTMETRIC TEAMS UP WITH ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP TO OFFER UFC FIGHTER RANKINGS

Las Vegas, NV – FightMetric®, the official statistics provider of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®), will continue to enhance fans experience by providing UFC Fighter Rankings. UFC Fighter Rankings by FightMetric will poll opinions from sports media worldwide and will be recognized by the UFC and integrated into its broadcast and featured on UFC.com. Voting will be open to media immediately after each live event with results made available to UFC.com within 24 hours.

“We are thrilled to have UFC recognize our fighter rankings and to have them hosted on UFC.com, as well as incorporated into event broadcasts. FightMetric has worked closely with the UFC for several years as an industry-leader in MMA statistics. Sports fans are accustomed to seeing performance data and rankings on their favorite baseball, football and soccer players, and now we can engage UFC fans on a similar level,” said FightMetric creator Rami Genauer.

“UFC Fighter Rankings are a great tool for new and existing fans alike to learn and better keep up with the fast pace of the UFC,” said UFC President Dana White. “We always look for opportunities to engage fans and media, allowing them to connect and voice their opinions, and this just one more way of doing that.”

Media members will vote for top fighters, currently active in the UFC, by weight class and pound-for-pound. A fighter can only appear in one weight division at a time. The champion and interim champions of each division are set in the first and second positions respectively and are not eligible for voting by media. However, champions can be voted on for the pound-for-pound rankings. Media voting is by invitation only and interested media members can apply at UFC.com/Rankings.

Since November 2007, FightMetric has furnished data that tracks the complete fight history of UFC athletes analyzing bouts across more than 125 statistical categories, encompassing all strikes, takedowns, submissions, and position changes. Currently, FightMetric data provides media and fans with an opportunity to track the history and performance of UFC competitors beyond simple wins and losses.
    Most interesting. This article details the UFC's new official ranking system which will be voted on by members of the media. But of course, nowhere does it say that matches will be made according to rankings.

From the quotes in the article, it sounds like it's more for the fans and media than the matchmakers though. Not sure what real impact this will have.
    Last edited by trustkill; 01-31-2013 at 08:25 PM.

This can't go well. It's just going to further show what everyone already knows...that the UFC doesn't care about rankings when it comes to title shots. They're just going to look like a bunch of idiots. I see this sticking around for 6 months or so, and then all but disappearing from their site altogether.

Well since about 90% of the mma media are total morons... This should go perfectly...

I'm not sure how useful these will be, but it will probably reduce the amount of rankings being done by MMA websites and forum members, which is a good thing. It will be interesting though, I bet the UFC tries to make title fights that generally agree with their rankings.

This bodes well for guys like Fitch, who are efficient, but not terribly exciting.

So they'll manipulate their rankings to justify the match-ups they want to sell. Don't see it going any different for guys like Fitch, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    This can't go well. It's just going to further show what everyone already knows...that the UFC doesn't care about rankings when it comes to title shots. They're just going to look like a bunch of idiots. I see this sticking around for 6 months or so, and then all but disappearing from their site altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    Well since about 90% of the mma media are total morons... This should go perfectly...
    You guys both think this is a stupid decision, but your reasonings seem to contradict eachother.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    You guys both think this is a stupid decision, but your reasonings seem to contradict eachother.
    K first off no they don't contradict each other AT ALL, I said the mma media are morons, and he said the ufc are morons, not sure if you understand what contradict means, but this isnt it...Secondly who cares... There's about 100 reasons why this is retarded. Oh shit let me guess, your waaaaay too high cause you used a vaporizer right???? Lol amateur

I think this is a great idea, Ive always liked and respected Fightmetric. Lots of people think rankings and stats dont belong in MMA, I disagree and Im pretty stoked to see how this all works out

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    K first off no they don't contradict each other AT ALL, I said the mma media are morons, and he said the ufc are morons, not sure if you understand what contradict means, but this isnt it...Secondly who cares... There's about 100 reasons why this is retarded. Oh shit let me guess, your waaaaay too high cause you used a vaporizer right???? Lol amateur
    whoa that seems a bit harsh lol
    you gonna take that shit Ct!?!

On topic, yes this is a stupid idea. Rankings have no bearing on matchmaking. So why bother?
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Thread Information