+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebney Speaks Out on Randy Couture, Eddie Alvarez, And the Real ‘Toughest Tournament

Default Rebney Speaks Out on Randy Couture, Eddie Alvarez, And the Real ‘Toughest Tournament

Bjorn Rebney Speaks Out on Randy Couture, Eddie Alvarez, And the Real ‘Toughest Tournament in Sports’ | | Cagepotato

On Randy Couture Signing with Spike TV/Bellator:

“Randy’s a great addition to the team and is known to fans everywhere. We’re excited for the role he’ll play in helping Bellator reach the next level. I know you and the other media want more info than that, but wait until Tuesday [February 5th] — that’s when we’re holding the big press conference and that’s when you’ll have all the details of what’s going on. That’s when all the questions will be answered.”

On the Controversial Stoppages Earlier in the Night:

“I have an unfair advantage; we’ve got probably the best sound team in all of MMA production. What I’m able to do is, when there’s any kind of controversial stoppage, I can go back into the truck, super slo-mo things and listen to things. I can hear the things the fighters say because our sound design inside the cage is so spectacular. You can literally hear what the fighter’s saying and what the referee is saying — you can hear everything. I think they were great stoppages. I think Dan [Mirgliotta] did an amazing job and when you see it in slow motion, for example on the knee lock, you hear him scream and then see his head go back and ultimately see one tap. Now it’s a super soft tap, but you see it. Inside the truck, in super slo-mo, you can hear the screaming and see his head go back and that’s a verbal submission. According to the Unified Rules, when your head goes back and you scream out — it’s over whether you tap or you don’t tap. But I thought he did a great job.”

On Whether or Not the UFC’s Insistence That The Ultimate Fighter is the “Toughest Tournament in Sports” is an Attempt to Create Brand Confusion Among New Fans:

“[Laughing] No, I don’t think so. What we do is, we let the fighters make their next fight. You win or you go home. That’s a real sport. You won’t see anyone sitting in a chair in some luxurious office somewhere saying, “I think I can sell that fight.” No, we’ve got the tournament format — something that has been around in sports for ages — and when one fighter wins, he gets one step closer to a title shot. That’s it. You have to win to get a championship opportunity. No one here is going to be able to talk their way into a title shot. That’s how a real sport works.”

On the Latest Developments Regarding Eddie Alvarez‘s Contract Situation:

“You know, we won in court last week so that’s a step in the right direction. There’s still a lot that needs to be sorted out. We still have to meet again [in court] to see what the judge says about the rest of the case. You know, Eddie’s been with us for a long time and I’m hopeful that we can come to terms and work something out. This doesn’t have to be a lengthy process, nor do I hope it to be one. I know what we want and I know what Ed wants, it’s just a matter of getting it down on paper and signing on the dotted line. Will it happen? I’m hopeful, but we’ll just have to wait and see.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I am still confused about this Eddie stuff...just seems to me that money wise BFC cannot match potential money from PPVs that the UFC can provide. Still not 100% why this even went to court when Eddie was done with his contract etc.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    I am still confused about this Eddie stuff...just seems to me that money wise BFC cannot match potential money from PPVs that the UFC can provide. Still not 100% why this even went to court when Eddie was done with his contract etc.
    Because technically he wasn't really done with his contract since there was a matching period wrote into it. Also it's just because they put down a percent of possible buys not an actual figure. So bellator just claimed they would do the same for him even though it most likely wouldn't of happened. If the UFC would off just thrown out straight numbers then this all probably wouldn't of happened. Unless viacom wants to throw some weight around. Infact I don't see why they wouldn't ...

If the UFC just offered Eddie an immediate Title shot, then Bellator wouldn't have a leg to stand on...no?
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    If the UFC just offered Eddie an immediate Title shot, then Bellator wouldn't have a leg to stand on...no?
    Bellator matched everything the UFC offered. The part that is shady is that Bellator offered a percentage off of PPV sales when they don't do PPV's. The UFC offered a "fast track" to a title or shot or something like that, and Bellator matched it.

Is anyone else really following Bellator lately? I was kind of disappointed in not seeing a discussion or results thread about Bellator 86 because it was a pretty good card.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    Bellator matched everything the UFC offered. The part that is shady is that Bellator offered a percentage off of PPV sales when they don't do PPV's. The UFC offered a "fast track" to a title or shot or something like that, and Bellator matched it.

Is anyone else really following Bellator lately? I was kind of disappointed in not seeing a discussion or results thread about Bellator 86 because it was a pretty good card.
    I am following them bigtime. Had an Internet mishap So I am on my phone and won't have regular Internet up from next week. I hate posting on my phone or I would've made a thread. Internet should be back on Tuesday and I can't wait to hear what bellator has planned for couture. I enjoyed Thursday Speights and can't wait to see the championship fight next Thursday. Will make a thread and I will see you all then

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    The right to match part has to do with matching financial details. Title shots and stuff along those lines don't really factor into it it's all about whether the money matches up or not. Though I do believe they did say they would give Eddie a title shot though if he returns to Bellator.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information