+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White Slams Tito Ortiz, Says Ronda Rousey 'Smokes' His MMA Career

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Olympic Medal >>>>> any UFC belt

And with that said, MMA should be an olympic sport.
    Seriously? Being the UFC champ is means you are recognized as the best at a sport in you weight class. You can't say that with olympic boxers who have to be amateurs. Being the UFC champ is accomplished by individual performances, unlike sports like volley ball. MMA also encompasses multiple olympics sports: wrestling, boxing, judo. Even if MMA was an olympic sport, the UFC belt would still be more prestigious than the olympic gold medal.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Blah.

I would simply state this: It never stopped Dana from riding his name to make a buck.

Clearly that's what he's attempting to do with Rousey.

Hmm....but how does it compare to a bronze in ADCC?

Furthermore, wouldn't you agree that winning a PROFESSIONAL title is a greater accomplishment than winning an amatuer one?

BTW, I'm pretty sure Rousey finished 4th in the olympics but received a bronze because Judo offers 2 per class (check me if I'm wrong).

Now, this isn't a slam in any way on Rousey, just offering some perspective.

Both fighters came into their sport when there was a MAJOR talent disparity so comparing the competition meh to me.

I personally think guys like Tito, Randy, Kerr, Severn, Coleman, and Randleman changed the sport. They broke away from the submission game and showed that wrestlers with body control could stay in the guard and avoid submissions while delivering a beating to their opponents. When and if Ronda becomes transcendent in that way, I'll jump on board.

Next story.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I personally think guys like Tito, Randy, Kerr, Severn, Coleman, and Randleman changed the sport. They broke away from the submission game and showed that wrestlers with body control could stay in the guard and avoid submissions while delivering a beating to their opponents. When and if Ronda becomes transcendent in that way, I'll jump on board.

Next story.
    Tito came along on the tail end of that "transformation", and Couture doesn't belong in there. Couture was a wrestler with good (at the time) boxing and a nasty clinch, he was the next step in the evolution. Tito, however, was an example of a one-dimensional fighter who couldn't hang with the more evolved fighters (Couture and Liddell).

For how young Rhousey's career is, she is incredibly accomplished. She's head and shoulders above her peers, never even being challenged in a fight. That's all DW was saying. I don't really see any compelling arguments to counter what he's saying (besides another hilarious sexist rant from Pashak).

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

And with that said, MMA should be an olympic sport.
    I agree man, it would be awesome if MMA made it to the Olympics. I just wonder what kind of rule changes would have to take place, like head gear as they do in boxing. If pro fighters could not participate. If there would be a more strict point system...

Tito came along on the tail end of that "transformation",
    No he didn't. Check your timeline.

Couture was a wrestler with good (at the time) boxing and a nasty clinch, he was the next step in the evolution
    His game was primarily stuffing guys against the cage in half guard and pounding. His boxing was adequate and his clinch was a product of his Greco-Roman wrestling.

Tito, however, was an example of a one-dimensional fighter who couldn't hang with the more evolved fighters (Couture and Liddell).
    He got beaten by two HOF'ers in the prime of their careers....

That being said, he "hung" with a lot of "evolved" fighters and nearly subbed Machida and I thought he beat Rashad in the first one.

For how young Rhousey's career is, she is incredibly accomplished. She's head and shoulders above her peers, never even being challenged in a fight. That's all DW was saying. I don't really see any compelling arguments to counter what he's saying (besides another hilarious sexist rant from Pashak).
    Her "career" consists of 6 wins in a very short amount of time, a title win, and a title defense. She won a bronze in Judo. She's 26.

Conversely, Cyborg is 10-1-1 with a title win, 2 defenses and one defense being ruled a no-contest. She won a bronze at ADCC 2009. She's 27.

Tito- He's a hall of famer, most fights in the UFC, most wins in LHW title fights, most consecutive lhw title defenses, etc.

I think my point stands.

If Rousey is already in the HOF in your book, I will digress immediately and respectfully refrain from any further debate with you.

Dana is head over heels...

Amateur or not, I personally hold the Olympics to VERY high standards. And for the record its really not all amateur anymore (Pro basketball players/hockey players). Not everyone can be a professional champion but even less people can go to and medal at the olympics.

Would you rather be known as the best in an organization, or the best in the world? see where im going with this?

WE'RE NOT HERE TO TAKE PART, WE'RE HERE TO TAKE OVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    If you read the exact quote and not just the tile it's not really far from the truth. He compares where Tito was at and where Ronda is at roughly the same age and number of fights in MMA.

Ronda is 6-0 and the champ in her weight class

Tito was 4-2 and didn't become champ til after Frank Shamrock left
    exactly dana's comments get sliced and diced way too often, watching him on video clips is so much better than reading hack journalists write the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Dana is head over heels...
    That's just it.

Would you rather be known as the best in an organization, or the best in the world? see where im going with this?
    Sounds to me like semantics....I mean isn't it the UFC World Title???? Wasn't she the 4th best in the world?

See where I'm going with this.....

I do hold the Olympics in high regard because of the sacrifices the athletes make to get there. For sure.

That being said, when you win a professional title, you have ascended to the top of your profession and earned the title of the best. Furthermore, your competition (in MMA) are multi-disciplined, encompass a wide range of ages, and are competing in the sport for their livelihood. Many athletes who are VERY worthy forego the olympics to earn money to survive or miss the target age group by a few years.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information