Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dana White Slams Tito Ortiz, Says Ronda Rousey 'Smokes' His MMA Career

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Sounds to me like semantics....I mean isn't it the UFC World Title???? Wasn't she the 4th best in the world?

See where I'm going with this.....

I do hold the Olympics in high regard because of the sacrifices the athletes make to get there. For sure.

That being said, when you win a professional title, you have ascended to the top of your profession and earned the title of the best. Furthermore, your competition (in MMA) are multi-disciplined, encompass a wide range of ages, and are competing in the sport for their livelihood. Many athletes who are VERY worthy forego the olympics to earn money to survive or miss the target age group by a few years.
    Well if Judo is anything like boxing is in the olympics they dont have a Bronze Medal fight and they give both people a bronze medal and only have a final match to decide who wins the Gold and Silver.

Yes the a UFC title is a "World" title but just because you are the UFC champion that makes you the best? Is the Bellator title not a world title as well? (thats a serious question). The Olympics are the best in their country gonig up against the best of other countries with the goal of being best in the world at that said sport.

There is a reason why GSP said he wanted to compete in wrestling at the Olympics and repersent Canada, then he realized how much work and dedication it takes to get there (not saying it doesnt take hard work and dedication to be GSP...)

I simply disagree.

It's fine to do so.

However, I will leave you with this: Have you ever heard of Park Si-Hun?

And the Bellator title is to MMA as the WBA title is to boxing.
    Last edited by SimpleJack; 02-02-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

are you hinting at him winning because of terrible judges and them putting in a new point system at the olympics partly because of his fight?

What I'm telling you is that olympic gold medals are far from the equivalent of a world title in the top "league" within your professional sport of choice.

Look, we're down in the weeds here.

Clearly Dana White was talking out of his ass just like Tito does. They both would be boasting for the opposite if their representation were reversed.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I'm with Jack.

Professional sports trump Olympics in my view. The money attracts the absolutely highest level of talent and encourages great discipline. Boxing, basketball, etc. where there are both pros and Olympians plays this out in my view.

Wrestling and MMA are just in that place where there isn't both pro and Olympic competition (unless Hulk Hogan counts).

And GSP's comments were just ridiculous; he later said it was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    What I'm telling you is that olympic gold medals are far from the equivalent of a world title in the top "league" within your professional sport of choice.

Look, we're down in the weeds here.

Clearly Dana White was talking out of his ass just like Tito does. They both would be boasting for the opposite if their representation were reversed.
    I think that would depend on the particular sport though really.. Certain sports don't have a higher level then the Olympics or world championships.

I would say it's not incorrect to say what Ronda accomplished before she fought in MMA is well ahead of what Tito did before he started fighting. Neither of the two of them are leaps and bounds ahead of the other at the same point in their MMA careers though Ronda won a title sooner and hasn't lost yet.

Ultimately you are right in that it's just Dana and Tito talking trash like they normally do.

Tito should not have insulted the woman that his boss is sleeping with.

I personally would rather have a gold medal in wrestling than the UFC title. If possible I would like to have both, and my own island with staff included so they can sort out my apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Rhonda won her belt fair and square, just like Jose and Cruz.

That said, Tito fought some very big names early in his career and performed well. Ronda just hasn't seen that level of competition in MMA. Sadly, we don't know if she ever will.
    Unless she fights Cris Cyborg or hell even Gina Corano
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Thread Information