Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Pettis wants FW Champion "very badly", willing to drop to 145

1. Default Anthony Pettis wants FW Champion "very badly", willing to drop to 145

UFC 156 results: Dana White says Anthony Pettis wants to fight Jose Aldo at featherweight - Bloody Elbow

Jose Aldo defeated Frankie Edgar tonight at UFC 156 to defend his UFC featherweight title, and while it close, it was convincing. Convincing enough that UFC president Dana White is not considering a rematch. So, that leaves the obvious question - who does Aldo defend his title against next?

When White and Aldo were asked about Aldo possibly moving to lightweight at the UFC 156 post-fight press conference, Aldo said it was up to White and the UFC. But White said there he had just found out a great possible challenger for Aldo at featherweight.

And that challenger would be current lightweight Anthony Pettis (16-2, 1 NC).

White stated that he received a text from Pettis saying that he "badly wanted" to fight Aldo, and he'd be willing to drop to 145 pounds to take that fight. White continued, saying that he had just found out about it 10 minutes ago and he would have to talk to Aldo's people about it and figure it all out, but he definitely sounded like something he was interested in doing.

When Ado was asked about it said it would be an interesting fight and that he welcomes it.

The former WEC lightweight champion is coming off a big first-round TKO win over Donald Cerrone at UFC on Fox 6, and has won three fights in a row. His striking is formidable and he would be a tough challenge for Aldo. And it's something that a lot of fans are probably interested in seeing as well.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I want to see this shit. Pettis is smart, in that if he drops down to FW now, he'll have plenty of time to go back up to LW and possibly become a 2-division champion.

it definitely the biggest fight they could make at 145, lamas should fight poirier maybe zombie vs cub while koch faces edgar

That's a fight right there. If Pettis doesn't kill his gas with the weight cut and Aldo does what he does, gas past the 3rd. I could see Pettis taking him out. Aldo's slowing down in the later rounds will catch up to him sooner or later.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Very very bullshit if this happens IMO that would make 3/4 Aldo's last defenses against guy's coming down from 155 who hadn't rightfully earned their shot when there happens to be a fairly decent group of 145 contenders that have earned their shot/rematch.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

What happened to the korean zombie?

7. Default

I would want no part of Aldo and those leg kicks. Damn hard kicks. Maybe the best leg kicker in MMA
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

That's an interesting match up, how many leg kicks would Pettis be able to take and still be able to throw out his kick heavy strikes.

9. Default

Id rather see pettis vs bendo rematch then pettis vs aldo. Not to mention 145 has plenty of solid contenders right now.. They dont need to be cherry picking opponents out of other divisions for Aldo.

Would be a killer fun matchup. Two great strikers. Not sure who I would favor in that.

Thread Information