Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dana White after Rashad Evans' UFC 156 loss: 'He has lost that hunger'

Default Dana White after Rashad Evans' UFC 156 loss: 'He has lost that hunger'

Dana White after Rashad Evans' UFC 156 loss: 'He has lost that hunger' | News

Prior to the bout, which marked his first since an April loss to champ Jon Jones, Evans told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) he had briefly considered retirement before ultimately deciding he loved the sport and knew he could continue to be competitive at a world-class level.

White, though, said such thoughts can be toxic.

"If that word even comes out of your moth in this business, it's a negative," he told MMAjunkie.com after UFC 156. "It's bad. The fact that he even said the 'R' word shows you where his head is at and what he's thinking."

It's a bit of 180 for White, who just days prior to UFC 156 said he was open to the idea of Evans fighting UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva if victorious against Nogueira. He said he'd consider Evans over top middleweight contender Chris Weidman.

But after Evans' lackluster defeat to Nogueira, White clearly has changed his mind.

"To be honest with you, Rashad and I have a good relationship," he said. "I like Rashad a lot. He's a good guy, a smart guy. But he has lost that hunger. He's lost that desire and drive, and he needs to get it back. There's no doubt about it.

"He needs to get hungry again."

Saturday's performance seemed to be the catalyst for White's remarks. Evans, usually one of the better-conditioned 205-pounders, noticeably slowed toward the end of the fight with Nogueira. His quick footwork, takedowns and aggressiveness also seemed largely absent.

The 10-month layoff surely played a part, but White suggested bigger issues are at play.

"Back in the day, he used to get a little – what's the word I'm looking for? – paranoid," he said. "He was always a little paranoid. But he always did the right thing. He needs to get that fire back. He doesn't have that fire. He needs to get it.

"Rashad used to train like a beast. Rashad never used to get tired. The only time you saw Rashad get tired was when he first came into the UFC and fought Tito (Ortiz) in that first fight. Then after that he turned into an absolute beast. He's gotta get it back."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

dana's right. rashad phoned in that performance, and all the intensity from the rampage and davis fights was gone. it wasn't a particularly eventful match, but the decision was correct.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

One thing I hate what the UFC, or should I say Dana, is when they announce #1 contendership on the line if "X" fighter should win upcoming match. It puts that one guy under pressure, whereas the other guy, who has no stake for contendership, the mental edge, being pressure free.

Dana announced title shot for Bisping, Overeem, and Evans should they win their match. They all lose. Bisping and Evans fight conservatively, take no chances, and falter. Overeem gets cocky and gets KO.

Let the guys go into their fight pressure free. Should they win, then announce at press conference what was at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    One thing I hate what the UFC, or should I say Dana, is when they announce #1 contendership on the line if "X" fighter should win upcoming match. It puts that one guy under pressure, whereas the other guy, who has no stake for contendership, the mental edge, being pressure free.

Dana announced title shot for Bisping, Overeem, and Evans should they win their match. They all lose. Bisping and Evans fight conservatively, take no chances, and falter. Overeem gets cocky and gets KO.

Let the guys go into their fight pressure free. Should they win, then announce at press conference what was at stake.
    If a fighter can't take that kind of pressure then they don't deserve to be in that spot to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    If a fighter can't take that kind of pressure then they don't deserve to be in that spot to begin with.
    I know and I agree but given that fighters deal with tons of distractions, one less thing to be pressured about would work in their favor

I think Rashad just underestimated how tough of a fight it would be for him. He was talking about how he was a better striker then Nog and totally underestimated that he's a good boxer.

I think in the long run it's gonna hurt Rashad that he went off and formed his own camp instead of going to an established camp.

7. Default

He looked softer too. The Rashad that fought Tito in the second fight... that was a hungry mothafuckah. He was in phenomenal shape and had a point to prove back then.
    ------------------

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Rashad looked very bad...

Its no shock that Lil Nog out struck Rashad... but it is a shock that Rashad would let this happen, losing a UD. He seems like a smart fight that does what it takes to win, even if it is boring... Nog has showcased some good TDD in the past, Evans knew he would put up some resistance. I think Evans could easily beat him if he had a better gameplan

However like I said before Lil Nog is highly underrated. I dont see him getting near the title... but he can easily hang with guys like Hendo, Shogun, Mousasi, Glover, etc... they all like to trade hands... He beats them in that aspect imo(or atleast gives them a great fight...

Hell he already beat Hendo and tagged shogun several times in their fight... Shogun has also shown that he is more willing to brawl and trade hands as of late rather than his old MT centric attack... that would play right into Nog's hands...

Mousasi and Glover have very good boxing, but again... Lil Nog's strenght...

His good TDD would only help his chances... He doesnt have huge power or blazing speed, so im not making him out to be an unstoppable striker... but more than capable of beating a lot of the top guys.

Lil Nog is a very high level boxer. Rashad came in and tried to box with him. With all the other tools he has, why the fuck would he box with him? Terrible strategy, and he seemed content to let it go to the judges.

If we were to play MMA math; Rashad easily outgrappled/outclassed Phil Davis. Davis beat Nog convincingly mainly with his grappling. For Evans to come in and basically get his offense shut down by Nog showed he's not the same fighter in my eyes.

Zombie is born!

Rashad has alot of personal shit going on.

Thread Information