+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: UFC boss says Frankie Edgar is not going to return to lightweight

Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    It's the unwritten rule that you have to "take" the title from the champ. Judges tend to give close rounds to the champ as a default.
    So no it's not a rule.

I know this discussion has taken place several times. But the judging rules need to be changed. Watch the post fight interview from Ariel Helwani and Demian Maia and Maia talks about this too.

I think a 9.5 roubd should be an option. Aldo won the first 2 rounds and those should be a 10 - 9 round. IF you think Frankie won the 5th round that should have been a 10 - 9.5 round. There was a huge difference between the 1st round and the 5th and there is on reason as to why those should be scored the same.

If you look at that match as a fight, if you were to judge the 25 minutes as a whole unit, there is no way anyone could make a case for Edgar to have won it, which indicates that there is a big problem with the current scoring system.

Oh and dbader08 thanks for the props on the Sig Bet. Thinking about what I should make it... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    So no it's not a rule.
    No not a rule, just an attitude that's carried over from boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    I know this discussion has taken place several times. But the judging rules need to be changed. Watch the post fight interview from Ariel Helwani and Demian Maia and Maia talks about this too.

I think a 9.5 roubd should be an option. Aldo won the first 2 rounds and those should be a 10 - 9 round. IF you think Frankie won the 5th round that should have been a 10 - 9.5 round. There was a huge difference between the 1st round and the 5th and there is on reason as to why those should be scored the same.

If you look at that match as a fight, if you were to judge the 25 minutes as a whole unit, there is no way anyone could make a case for Edgar to have won it, which indicates that there is a big problem with the current scoring system.
    Probably should start using the other 8 points before we start bringing fractions into this. I would have no problem with a 5 point system.

Winner of the round is the only one that gets points
    1 point-super duper close
    2 points-uneventful but fairly obvious
    3 points-wrestlers who get an early takedown and dominate without almost finishing/point strikers who land alot more punches without taking many in return
    4 points-a knockdown or two, much quicker to the punch consistently unanswered/ numerous deep submission attempts, complete control/massive ground and pound
    5 points-complete and utter domination/maybe should have been stopped

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    But the fights are not judged as a whole, and they don't use the half point system.

You can't really tell people to judge that fight as a whole, because the fighters didn't fight it as if it were judged that way.
    But , Hoss is right. Things are the way they are. Maybe part of Frankie's gameplan was to wear Jose out and take the later rounds. They were fighting in a 5 round scenario where each round was judged individually and equally.

Sorry for the triple post, but under my made up scoring system, I would have had:

Round 1-Aldo 2
    Round 2-Aldo 2
    Round 3-Edgar 1
    Round 4-Edgar 2
    Round 5-Edgar 1

Resulting in a 4-4 tie

Rounds 2 & 4 would have been perfect examples of 2 point rounds, round 1 would be just short of a 3 point round.
    Last edited by The Donosaur; 02-04-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: clarification

10 point must system sucks balls.

Aldo won convincingly.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information