+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White says 'it looks like' Chris Weidman is next for Anderson Silva

1. Default Dana White says 'it looks like' Chris Weidman is next for Anderson Silva

UFC 156 results: Dana White says 'it looks like' Chris Weidman is next for Anderson Silva - Bloody Elbow

There's an old cliche about the USA always doing the right thing in the end, after we've tried every other possible option. Perhaps the same could be said of the UFC when it comes to booking fights for its Middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Tough up and comer Chris Weidman has been the rightful #1 contender since crushing Mark Munoz last July on a little seen UFC on Fuel TV event. But the UFC and Silva have explored every possible alternative. First Silva fought Stefan Bonnar at Light Heavyweight to salvage the UFC 153 card after Jose Aldo dropped out late due to injury.

Then there was a serious effort to push Welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre into a super fight against Silva. GSP wanted no part of it, so then speculation moved on to a Silva vs. Light Heavyweight champ Jon Jones. But Jones' was already locked in to coaching The Ultimate Fighter and facing Chael Sonnen in April at UFC 159 so he would not likely be ready to face Silva in July.

Then it looked like former LHW champ Rashad Evans would be the next opponent for Silva, but he lost a decision in a snoozer against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira tonight at UFC 156 in Las Vegas.

So UFC president Dana White told assembled press at the post-presser media scrum that "it looks like Weidman" will get the next shot at Silva per Ariel Helwani's twitter.

Weidman's currently recovering from shoulder surgery but indications are that he may be ready for a July 4 fight.

As for Anderson Silva and his management, they've been just as interested in alternatives to facing the formidable but unknown Weidman as the UFC. At last count, Silva's manager Ed Soares said they would be open to that fight but only in Brazil.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

2. 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM

3. Default

It should be Weidman's shot...always should have been
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Bisping still deserves it. I mean who else? Bisping already pointed out that Munoz was fat so that automatically discredits Weidman. So who else? Belfort? If you were to ask Bisping, I am sure he would tell us that Belfort's last opponent sucks. So who else?

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Bisping still deserves it. I mean who else? Bisping already pointed out that Munoz was fat so that automatically discredits Weidman. So who else? Belfort? If you were to ask Bisping, I am sure he would tell us that Belfort's last opponent sucks. So who else?
    Well after last night it was heard that the Champ was very impressed with Evan's performance and believes him to be his next opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Well after last night it was heard that the Champ was very impressed with Evan's performance and believes him to be his next opponent.
    Knowingthe Spider, I can't tell if you are joking or not.

7. Default

Im willing to bet that now that the only viable option for anderson is a legit challenger, he's going to "take a break" and go film steven segals movie. Until weidman books a fight, then he'll come "save a card" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Im willing to bet that now that the only viable option for anderson is a legit challenger, he's going to "take a break" and go film steven segals movie. Until weidman books a fight, then he'll come "save a card" or something.
    You just blew their plans lol

Now we will see a long debate on how Cung le should get the nod over Weidman.

Ok let's make a deal. If anderson fights and destroys weidman, then he can pick and choose his opponents from hear on out. Personally I think he's transended normal champions and at his age should probably seek interesting match ups against big names, like Jon Jones. He's not getting any younger and I don't think we'll be seeing him fight any more after 2015. I don't blame him for guarding his legacy. Let Weidman fight Vitor, Rockhold, or Lombard. And if he can win, then I say he has a damned good case.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Ok let's make a deal. If anderson fights and destroys weidman, then he can pick and choose his opponents from hear on out. Personally I think he's transended normal champions and at his age should probably seek interesting match ups against big names, like Jon Jones. He's not getting any younger and I don't think we'll be seeing him fight any more after 2015. I don't blame him for guarding his legacy. Let Weidman fight Vitor, Rockhold, or Lombard. And if he can win, then I say he has a damned good case.....
    Absofuckinglutely not! The champ fights the #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and then the new #2 guy and so on and so fucking forth until the champ loses or retires, the organization shuts down, or the earth explodes. That is how sports work. There is no Anderson Silva rule where if you defend the belt so many times then you just become fucking permachamp.

They'll wait until after UFC 158 to make this fight. If GSP dominates Diaz and Hendricks screws the pooch against Ellenberger the time might be right for a GSP/Silva fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information