Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White Wants Frankie Edgar To Drop To 135 Pounds

Default Dana White Wants Frankie Edgar To Drop To 135 Pounds

Any talk of former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar going back up to 155 pounds following his featherweight championship loss to Jose Aldo have been put to rest by UFC president Dana White.

Speaking after the UFC 156 superfight between Edgar and Aldo, White said (h/t MMA Junkie), "He's not going to 55... That's not going to happen."

Instead, White suggested, that Edgar could drop down even further and fight at bantamweight instead.

Edgar has long been regarded as an undersized lightweight. At 5'6" he's even smaller than featherweight champ Aldo, but like the Rocky Balboa of the sport, he's managed to upset the odds and defeat giant 155-pounders such as BJ Penn and Gray Maynard.

However, he's also taken severe beatings in his fights, and it was no different against Aldo at 145 pounds when he came off second-best in opening exchanges. Edgar did finish strong in the later rounds, as he usually does, but for the third fight in a row it wasn't enough to sway the judges.

That has left the former champion searching for a new challenge, and some have suggested that he would be better suited going further down to 135 pounds.

"I like that better," White said. "The lower he goes, the happier I am. I don't want him going any higher."

The current 135-pound champ is Dominick Cruz, who, at 5'8", is still bigger than Edgar. Cruz has held the UFC bantamweight belt since the division was created, but he's been suffering a knee injury which has sidelined him for the foreseeable future.

However, there are other interesting fights for Edgar at 135 pounds as well. Current bantamweight titleholder Renan Baro is on an incredible 30-fight undefeated streak and could prove a lucrative opponent for Edgar.

Whatever he decides, one thing that is certain is that his boss has no intention of seeing him go back up a weight division.

"I like Frankie Edgar a lot as a person," White said. "Take away the whole fighting thing—I like him as a person, as a human being, and I don't ever want to see him at 155 pounds. The guys are too big and too strong at 155."
    Dana White Wants Frankie Edgar Dropping to 135 Pounds | Bleacher Report

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Why? He just had a good fight against the 145lb champ, for his first UFC fight in that division. If he got destroyed, then sure, convince him to go lower. But why leave a division, over 1 fight? Makes no sense to me.

3. Default

This shit of dropping when you get beat is the reason I dont like the wieghtclass being within 10 pounds of each other. It is horseshit to drop everytime you lose. Look at Kenflo he keep dropping and keeps getting beat.

Frankie just gave Aldo all he wanted. Frankie is not faster than the 145er why would he drop down? Hell he has wins over BJ, Gray etc.
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

It's so Dana can give him another undeserved title shot maybe he'll win one of em right.

I for one like Frankie at 155 but I have this theory that Dana sees him as a very marketable champion. He though he beat Henderson, and thought he beat Aldo. He's been trying to put a title on Frankie but thanks to poor judging, that's not going so well. Now that Edgar has lost at 145, he's nowhere near another title shot so might as well drop down again and give it another shot. I don't agree with it, but I think that's what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I for one like Frankie at 155 but I have this theory that Dana sees him as a very marketable champion. He though he beat Henderson, and thought he beat Aldo. He's been trying to put a title on Frankie but thanks to poor judging, that's not going so well. Now that Edgar has lost at 145, he's nowhere near another title shot so might as well drop down again and give it another shot. I don't agree with it, but I think that's what's going on.
    He thought he beat Aldo??

Maybe I need to rewatch the fight, but I saw it completely sober the first time Sunday morning, and I had it 1-2-5 Aldo, 3-4 Edgar, and had him doing much more damage than Edgar did.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

You had round 5 for Aldo? Round 3 was close but rounds 4 and 5 were all Edgar.

I agree with getting as low as you can go as long as you aren't absolutely killing yourself to do it. I think Frankie could win all 3 titles eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    You had round 5 for Aldo? Round 3 was close but rounds 4 and 5 were all Edgar.
    Alot of people gave Aldo the 5th just because he did a stupid last second cage punch, and then a super exaggerated celebration. I think the celebration was because he knew he lost the last 3 rounds and was trying desperately to sway the judges. I doubt anybody else thinks that though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Alot of people gave Aldo the 5th just because he did a stupid last second cage punch, and then a super exaggerated celebration. I think the celebration was because he knew he lost the last 3 rounds and was trying desperately to sway the judges. I doubt anybody else thinks that though.
    I thought the same thing. Kinda sad that it might have worked.

Thread Information