+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA TODAY: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3

Default USA TODAY: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3

USA TODAY: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3

Two of the most dynamic strikers in all of mixed martial arts will meet Aug. 3 as Anthony Pettis (16-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is dropping from lightweight to 145 pounds to challenge current champion Jose Aldo (22-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) for the UFC featherweight title.

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) on Monday learned of the booking from UFC President Dana White.

"Two of the baddest dudes in the fight business are going to fight at 145 pounds," White said. "These guys are two of the most amazing, gravity-defying athletes in the sport. I am so pumped for this fight."

White said the company currently is seeking a venue for the as-yet-unannounced event and that sites in Texas, Chicago, Las Vegas and Rio de Janeiro are all under consideration. Aldo vs. Pettis is expected to headline the card.

Aldo on Saturday defended his title with a unanimous decision win over former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 in Las Vegas. Afterward, Pettis texted White and requested the matchup.

"Aldo is a tremendous fighter," Pettis said. "I have all the respect in the world for his skills. I just want to be one of the best in the world, and the only way to do that is to beat the best."
    Another fight where a fighter has never fought at a certain weight class and gets a title shot. Pure fucked up. That being said, this fight is beyond exciting to think about.

Who cares it's a good fight. Fighters using TRT and shit bothers me more.

And this is why Anderson Silva will be able to play matchmaker, because Dana and the UFC loves money.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    And this is why Anderson Silva will be able to play matchmaker, because Dana and the UFC loves money.
    Not comparable, Edgar was former champ who really should still be champ. Pettis is the #1 contender for the belt, but would have to wait for the Gil/Bendo match to happen before he would get his shot. To me this fight makes sense and it should be a match to remember.Oh and we are talking about the best fighters a weight class above.

Pettis has earned a shot at the belt. Not this belt, but a belt none the less. UFC just sees this as more marketable than a rematch with Bendo. I don't like that he's getting a shot at fw but it'll be a hell of a fight that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Aug. 4th? Why so far away? This match needs to happen in May or June! And there's no reason the belt should be held up that long. The next contender should emerge soon from guys like Zombie, Llamas and Siver.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    Aug. 4th? Why so far away? This match needs to happen in May or June! And there's no reason the belt should be held up that long. The next contender should emerge soon from guys like Zombie, Llamas and Siver.
    I thought the very same, August is ridiculously far away

Default Duke Roufus: Pettis driven to be up there with Anderson Silva

Duke Roufus: Pettis driven to be up there with Anderson Silva - Mixed Martial Arts News

Pettis's trainer, Duke Roufus, explains the reasoning.

“What if the guy who wins the Henderson-Melendez fight gets hurt or it’s a close decision, when does [Pettis] fight?” said Roufus.. “He’s been in that situation before. So, he’s a little gun shy about that.

“Besides, he’s coming into the prime of his life. He wants to fight now. He’d fight next week if [the UFC] gives him a body; that’s his attitude. He’d fight three more times this year if you could.”

“He wants to fight Aldo and then fight for the lightweight title. I’m all for it if he wants to do it. I think he matches up great with Aldo.”

“The crazy thing is that in his past few fights, Anthony has been at 25 percent of his potential but he’s been able to finish his opponents early. The guy is on a mission.”

“In his last three fights, he hasn’t had to go into the sauna to make weight. He’s very meticulous about his nutrition as well as his strength and conditioning. Anthony is a very disciplined individual.”

“He has reached that stage of his career and life where he realizes what gets him up are big challenges. I see the hunger in his attitude and performance daily in training, his lifestyle. He wants big things and he wants them now.

“He wants to put himself up there with guys like Anderson Silva, who go out there and win big fights.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Pettis smashes the Aldo that showed up to fight edgar 9 times out of 10.

Cant wait for my boy Pettis to be the first 2 division champ (at the same time)

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

I like the fight but only if it happens sooner. No need to hold up the belt for so long when there are viable contenders for Aldo now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information