Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USA TODAY: Anthony Pettis drops to 145, meets UFC champ Jose Aldo on Aug. 3

How much does it suck to be a FW fighter right now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    Pettis has earned a shot at the belt. Not this belt, but a belt none the less. UFC just sees this as more marketable than a rematch with Bendo. I don't like that he's getting a shot at fw but it'll be a hell of a fight that's for sure.
    Oddly, I'm not sure that's true. There's a highlight kick, the fact the Ben lost, etc. I think the LW title fight is very marketable.

It actually seems like the UFC is caving to fighter demands a little more easily, which is kinda nuts. Can't imagine they're that worried about the salaries Viacom will be offering but who knows. My guess is it's the lack of big sells at FW if anything that's driving this.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Pettis smashes the Aldo that showed up to fight edgar 9 times out of 10.

Cant wait for my boy Pettis to be the first 2 division champ (at the same time)
    Pettis doesn't have the footwork or wrestling that Frankie does. That's why Aldo looked more hesitant IMO. Plus I also think he just didn't respect Frankie's punches.

Aldo is going to seriously derail Pettis. Aldo's leg kicks will come back and Pettis' TKD kicks will lose a lot of pep.

LOL WHAT?
    You must not respect Edgar much, Aldo dominated for close to 3 rounds, lost one round then came back strong in the 5th. I think it'll be a great fight but Aldo has the advantage everywhere except cardio.

I agree, August is a long time, but there's a good reason. Bendo vs Melendez is scheduled for April 20th. By pushing Aldo's next fight back to August, it gives Zuffa the flexibility to shuffle Pettis back into the next LW title fight, while still giving FW contenders like Lamas the opportunity to fight again and potentially earn their way into an August fight with Scarface.

GTFO. You can be in love with Pettis all you want but Aldo hasn't shown any reason (especially in his win over the former Lightweight Champ) to believe anyone out there at 145 or 155 will "smash" him.

People seriously need to stop this kind of talk. Always speaking in definites and always to the extreme. Tired of people saying things like Overreem will destroy Bigfoot and even though they were completely wrong the next day it's the same kind of talk. This is not directed at you BonesKnows just a general observation that I find annoying.
    Legalize MMA in New York

While the odds are certainly not in your favor here I seriously hope you get proven right! Been touting these WEC cats since the merger was first announced and would love to see yet another one hold gold.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    I agree, August is a long time, but there's a good reason. Bendo vs Melendez is scheduled for April 20th. By pushing Aldo's next fight back to August, it gives Zuffa the flexibility to shuffle Pettis back into the next LW title fight, while still giving FW contenders like Lamas the opportunity to fight again and potentially earn their way into an August fight with Scarface.
    Well said . Good from a business aspect.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Wow, this fight is pure fireworks!
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

August 4th in Dallas in a stadium as the Co-Main wait and see.
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

8. Default

Imagine if Pettis wins the belt and then Guida steals it off him via LNP.

But on a serious note, if he has to wait till August to fight Aldo, then what's the difference if he had to wait for the winner of Henderson vs Melendez?
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Imagine if Pettis wins the belt and then Guida steals it off him via LNP.

But on a serious note, if he has to wait till August to fight Aldo, then what's the difference if he had to wait for the winner of Henderson vs Melendez?
    *cough* Selling a superfight for Aldo at LW *cough*

Think mostly everyone here is really underestimating Pettis' striking. The dude is a 3rd degree black belt in tae kwon do and just ko'd someone who has never been stopped, with a body kick! His striking is on another level in the UFC. I think a lot of people will be surprised when they fight. I do think thats too long though I really don't get why they scheduled it 8 months away.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Thread Information