Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC releases 1st set of official rankings

It's not perfect, but not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I think Strueve should be ranked higher than Roy Nelson.

I know Nelson beat Strueve but that was llike 3 years ago now. Since Strueve has taken out a few more big names than Roy. Yeah, Roy fought JDS and Mir, lost to both but neither were able to finish him. Strueve is on a 4 fight win streak, Roy is on a 2 fight win streak.
    nelson has a much higher strength of schedule than struve, and his wins are arguable of higher value. if struve had fought werdum and mir, he would have been in serious trouble too. nelson lost to both of them but kept swinging and was never close to being knocked out.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Dana White's version of a Pound For Pound list is the same as his list of top PPV earners.

Theres alot wrong with those rankings, but thb it could've been much worst.

Lol @ Bendo top 5 P4p, Nick diaz being top3WW, Shane Carwin top10, And Bisping top3 though, those are horrible.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Bah.

EDIT:

http://www.cagepotato.com/the-10-mos...hter-rankings/

1. Despite his 0-0 record in the UFC, Gilbert Melendez is listed as the #1 lightweight contender. You know, because he’ll be fighting for the title soon.

2. Other 0-0 fighters on the rankings list: Tarec Saffiedine (#10 welterweight), Luke Rockhold (#7 middleweight), and Gegard Mousasi (#10 light-heavyweight).

3. After losing his featherweight debut against Jose Aldo, Frankie Edgar is now the 4th-ranked featherweight contender in the UFC.

4. In a related story, Edgar is #9 on the pound-for-pound list — right between Demetrious Johnson and Dan Henderson — despite being on a three-fight losing skid.

5. “Steve Cofield, Mark Daniels, Marc Raimondi & John Silver all ranked Chael Sonnen as a top 10 LHW. Sonnen hasn’t fought at LHW in 7+ years.” Sonnen’s name doesn’t appear on the consensus light-heavyweight list, or the middleweight list, which is just as strange.

6. A dude named Anthony Springer Jr. had Roy Nelson and Pat Barry listed as the UFC’s #3- and #4-ranked heavyweight contenders — based on accomplishments, not personality — and ranked Brian Bowles as the #3 bantamweight, directly over Urijah Faber. Also, Daniel Cormier was in his Top 10 P4P list, but wasn’t included in his heavyweight rankings. This is the caliber of MMA-pundit that they’re relying on, guys.

7. Nick Diaz is ranked above Rory MacDonald on the welterweight list, which is kind of ludicrous if we’re considering their actual recent accomplishments in the welterweight division.

8. Since the UFC only has three fighters in its women’s bantamweight division, a rankings list for that division doesn’t exist.

9. Speaking of weak divisions, the flyweight ranking list has two fighters who sport 0-1 records in the UFC — #10-ranked Ulysses Gomez, and Jussier Da Silva, who managed to place all the way at #5.

10. Ian McCall is winless at flyweight in the UFC. He’s still ranked as the #3 contender, right above John Moraga (2-0).
    Last edited by m1ckeykn0x; 02-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Obviously everyone is going to find things to nitpick since everyone's personal rankings are a bit different, but overall I think these rankings are good. I know Dana said they won't necessarily be following these rankings, but I would be happy if they did.

Most of the complaints are about Bisping, Carwin, Diaz, Edgar, and Vitor, but all of those guys have skill sets to back up their ranking. Bisping keeps his spot based on how many good MWs have a recent loss to someone worse than Vitor. Carwin is a legit threat to anyone, even if he hasn't won for 3 years. Diaz' only loss was a controversial decision and even though he came forward and attacked the whole fight, he took less damage than GSP did against Condit. Edgar has lost 3 fights, but all very close fights against elite fighters. He is still an elite fighter, no doubt about it. Vitor gets his high ranking for the same reason Bisping does. He has been very impressive at MW.

Nobody said these rankings would be based purely on recent accomplishments, and I am glad these rankings seem to consider both talent and wins.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    Obviously everyone is going to find things to nitpick since everyone's personal rankings are a bit different, but overall I think these rankings are good. I know Dana said they won't necessarily be following these rankings, but I would be happy if they did.

Most of the complaints are about Bisping, Carwin, Diaz, Edgar, and Vitor, but all of those guys have skill sets to back up their ranking. Bisping keeps his spot based on how many good MWs have a recent loss to someone worse than Vitor. Carwin is a legit threat to anyone, even if he hasn't won for 3 years. Diaz' only loss was a controversial decision and even though he came forward and attacked the whole fight, he took less damage than GSP did against Condit. Edgar has lost 3 fights, but all very close fights against elite fighters. He is still an elite fighter, no doubt about it. Vitor gets his high ranking for the same reason Bisping does. He has been very impressive at MW.

Nobody said these rankings would be based purely on recent accomplishments, and I am glad these rankings seem to consider both talent and wins.
    Skill sets are not supposed to make up a ranking. Wins and losses do.

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    nelson has a much higher strength of schedule than struve, and his wins are arguable of higher value. if struve had fought werdum and mir, he would have been in serious trouble too. nelson lost to both of them but kept swinging and was never close to being knocked out.
    Roy's wins:
    Struve
    Cro Cop (3rd loss in a row)
    Dave Herman
    Meat head

Struves' wins:
    Pat Berry
    Dave Herman
    Lavar Johnson
    Stipe Miocic
    McCorkle, Morecraft and Buentello

I would say Struve's list is more impressive...
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Roy's wins:
    Struve
    Cro Cop (3rd loss in a row)
    Dave Herman
    Meat head

Struves' wins:
    Pat Berry
    Dave Herman
    Lavar Johnson
    Stipe Miocic
    McCorkle, Morecraft and Buentello

I would say Struve's list is more impressive...
    nelson also hasn't lost to anyone ranked outside of the top 5-6, while struve lost to brown, who was probably ranked around 15th at the time. meathead or cro cop could arguably be a bigger win than anyone of struve's individual wins.

if it were just comparing their records, i can see arguably (though i wouldn't say rightly) putting struve ahead of nelson, but nelson having a win over struve seals the deal for me. this is always going to be the case for the guys ranked 8-15, as it relies heavily on a very relative measurement of success when comparing the records of a dozen different fighters. i'm fine with disagreeing on it.

another thing we have to decide how to tackle is the placement of the new, 0-0 in UFC strikeforce guys. would say cormie is good enough to get a top-5 matchup right out of the gate, but i'm not sure how i would go about ranking him at this point. same with saffeidine. i'm not sure what to do with marquardt.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Skill sets are not supposed to make up a ranking. Wins and losses do.
    Why should wins and losses be the only thing that matters? This is a sport where pretty much every single event has at least one decision that most people disagree with. If a fight is essentially a toss up, I don't think the judges who prove themselves incompetent should have that much influence on the rankings. And if a fighter routinely shows he has the talent to compete with the best in the world, but occasionally get LnP by a good wrestler (Nate Diaz for example), he still deserves a high ranking.

Thread Information