Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: UFC releases 1st set of official rankings

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,243

    Default

    It's not perfect, but not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.


    Zombie is born!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I think Strueve should be ranked higher than Roy Nelson.

    I know Nelson beat Strueve but that was llike 3 years ago now. Since Strueve has taken out a few more big names than Roy. Yeah, Roy fought JDS and Mir, lost to both but neither were able to finish him. Strueve is on a 4 fight win streak, Roy is on a 2 fight win streak.
    nelson has a much higher strength of schedule than struve, and his wins are arguable of higher value. if struve had fought werdum and mir, he would have been in serious trouble too. nelson lost to both of them but kept swinging and was never close to being knocked out.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,438

    Default

    Dana White's version of a Pound For Pound list is the same as his list of top PPV earners.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Port City Canada
    Posts
    3,931

    Default

    Theres alot wrong with those rankings, but thb it could've been much worst.

    Lol @ Bendo top 5 P4p, Nick diaz being top3WW, Shane Carwin top10, And Bisping top3 though, those are horrible.

    God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

    13-4-1 in sig/av

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kelowna, BC
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Obviously everyone is going to find things to nitpick since everyone's personal rankings are a bit different, but overall I think these rankings are good. I know Dana said they won't necessarily be following these rankings, but I would be happy if they did.

    Most of the complaints are about Bisping, Carwin, Diaz, Edgar, and Vitor, but all of those guys have skill sets to back up their ranking. Bisping keeps his spot based on how many good MWs have a recent loss to someone worse than Vitor. Carwin is a legit threat to anyone, even if he hasn't won for 3 years. Diaz' only loss was a controversial decision and even though he came forward and attacked the whole fight, he took less damage than GSP did against Condit. Edgar has lost 3 fights, but all very close fights against elite fighters. He is still an elite fighter, no doubt about it. Vitor gets his high ranking for the same reason Bisping does. He has been very impressive at MW.

    Nobody said these rankings would be based purely on recent accomplishments, and I am glad these rankings seem to consider both talent and wins.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    Obviously everyone is going to find things to nitpick since everyone's personal rankings are a bit different, but overall I think these rankings are good. I know Dana said they won't necessarily be following these rankings, but I would be happy if they did.

    Most of the complaints are about Bisping, Carwin, Diaz, Edgar, and Vitor, but all of those guys have skill sets to back up their ranking. Bisping keeps his spot based on how many good MWs have a recent loss to someone worse than Vitor. Carwin is a legit threat to anyone, even if he hasn't won for 3 years. Diaz' only loss was a controversial decision and even though he came forward and attacked the whole fight, he took less damage than GSP did against Condit. Edgar has lost 3 fights, but all very close fights against elite fighters. He is still an elite fighter, no doubt about it. Vitor gets his high ranking for the same reason Bisping does. He has been very impressive at MW.

    Nobody said these rankings would be based purely on recent accomplishments, and I am glad these rankings seem to consider both talent and wins.
    Skill sets are not supposed to make up a ranking. Wins and losses do.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    nelson has a much higher strength of schedule than struve, and his wins are arguable of higher value. if struve had fought werdum and mir, he would have been in serious trouble too. nelson lost to both of them but kept swinging and was never close to being knocked out.
    Roy's wins:
    Struve
    Cro Cop (3rd loss in a row)
    Dave Herman
    Meat head

    Struves' wins:
    Pat Berry
    Dave Herman
    Lavar Johnson
    Stipe Miocic
    McCorkle, Morecraft and Buentello

    I would say Struve's list is more impressive...
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Roy's wins:
    Struve
    Cro Cop (3rd loss in a row)
    Dave Herman
    Meat head

    Struves' wins:
    Pat Berry
    Dave Herman
    Lavar Johnson
    Stipe Miocic
    McCorkle, Morecraft and Buentello

    I would say Struve's list is more impressive...
    nelson also hasn't lost to anyone ranked outside of the top 5-6, while struve lost to brown, who was probably ranked around 15th at the time. meathead or cro cop could arguably be a bigger win than anyone of struve's individual wins.

    if it were just comparing their records, i can see arguably (though i wouldn't say rightly) putting struve ahead of nelson, but nelson having a win over struve seals the deal for me. this is always going to be the case for the guys ranked 8-15, as it relies heavily on a very relative measurement of success when comparing the records of a dozen different fighters. i'm fine with disagreeing on it.

    another thing we have to decide how to tackle is the placement of the new, 0-0 in UFC strikeforce guys. would say cormie is good enough to get a top-5 matchup right out of the gate, but i'm not sure how i would go about ranking him at this point. same with saffeidine. i'm not sure what to do with marquardt.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kelowna, BC
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Skill sets are not supposed to make up a ranking. Wins and losses do.
    Why should wins and losses be the only thing that matters? This is a sport where pretty much every single event has at least one decision that most people disagree with. If a fight is essentially a toss up, I don't think the judges who prove themselves incompetent should have that much influence on the rankings. And if a fighter routinely shows he has the talent to compete with the best in the world, but occasionally get LnP by a good wrestler (Nate Diaz for example), he still deserves a high ranking.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sackville N.B
    Posts
    3,266

    Default

    Ok, I retract my previous statement...

    - Dominick Cruz shouldn't be on the p4p list
    - Faber shouldn't be ranked higher than Wineland or Pickett
    - Rory should be ranked above Diaz
    - Bisping and Munoz shouldn't be ranked as high as they are
    - Machida should be behind Gustafsson and Glover
    - JDS should have been bumped down just below Cormier
    - Struve should be ahead of Nelson
    - Carwin shouldn't be top 10. Hunt should be there somewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •