Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Belfort was allowed to use Testosterone Replacement Therapy for UFC on FX 7


  1. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sackville N.B
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    It's not giving them abnormal super human strength and speed, it's not making them more talented, and it isn't winning them fights. All it does is make up for the their body not producing the normal amount of testosterone that their body should be producing. If it is approved by a doctor and the athletic commission, then it's not cheating. It's a medical procedure, not a PED.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

  2. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    5,709

    Default

    lol, not a surprise to anyone.

    The difference in his physical shape for this fight and his first fight against Franklin is pretty hilarious.

    Kind of like how Dan Henderson looks better at his age now than he has ever looked, not the same...better. And he has cited it as a "motivational thing". Fighting in front of 100,000 people in pride against the best fighters in the world at the time isn't motivational enough? Whatever you say, Dan. Good job finally finding motivation post 40 years old, I guess.

    But hey everyone, Nick Diaz failed a drug test because he had some dead marijuana metabolites residing in his fat! Rabble Rabble!
    Last edited by dbader08; 02-06-2013 at 11:06 PM.

  3. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Why not? I've never understood this stupid argument. Because it is unfair for veterans to have the testosterone levels of a 20 year old and the experience of a vet?

    There are no age brackets. No "testosterone level" brackets.

    Fighters are matched up based on performance. It's not like some young, inexperienced fighter would be forced to fight someone ranked as high as Dan Henderson.

    There is nothing unfair about it.

    P.S. - That "Mir 1.0" seems to be a pick of him after the motorcycle accident (I could be wrong though). He gained a lot of fat after the accident and his performances reflected that.

    This is a more accurate picture of Mir 1.0 (before the accident):

    Is this your MMA? HS athlete gets caught taking steroids - YouTube

  4. Default

    I think you're confusing abusing PEDs with raising your testosterone back to normal levels.

    The whole "natural" argument has always been silly.
    This is a sport where people who don't need to, fight each other. For the enjoyment of spectators. There's nothing 'natural' about that at all.
    ------------------

  5. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,028

    Default

    TRT =/= Steroids.

  6. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chael Sonnen's Octagon
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    It's not giving them abnormal super human strength and speed, it's not making them more talented, and it isn't winning them fights. All it does is make up for the their body not producing the normal amount of testosterone that their body should be producing. If it is approved by a doctor and the athletic commission, then it's not cheating. It's a medical procedure, not a PED.
    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    I think you're confusing abusing PEDs with raising your testosterone back to normal levels.

    The whole "natural" argument has always been silly.
    This is a sport where people who don't need to, fight each other. For the enjoyment of spectators. There's nothing 'natural' about that at all.
    Gotta agree with you guys. It's not cheating if it's cleared by a doctor AND the athletic commission. It may be viewed as as an uneven playing field to us, but in reality it's really evening the playing field for these fighters.

    Think about it. The use of TRT hasn't made these guys invincible. They've all lost, and some of them have lost big time even with the use of TRT.

    It can be used in an appropriate manner. It's not all an attempt to cheat.

  7. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Why not? I've never understood this stupid argument. Because it is unfair for veterans to have the testosterone levels of a 20 year old and the experience of a vet?

    There are no age brackets. No "testosterone level" brackets.

    Fighters are matched up based on performance. It's not like some young, inexperienced fighter would be forced to fight someone ranked as high as Dan Henderson.

    There is nothing unfair about it.
    I agree with this 100%. Honestly, I don't even care about the origin of the problem as long as their levels are in the normal range today.

    Athletes will do a lot to get ahead and some may have cheated in the past, causing them to need TRT or it might caused by something else. But if they don't get popped, I don't care. The only place where it creates questions is someone like Overeem who became dominant after clearly using and then getting caught. And Bigfoot took care of that question for us

    Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Kind of like how Dan Henderson looks better at his age now than he has ever looked, not the same...better. And he has cited it as a "motivational thing". Fighting in front of 100,000 people in pride against the best fighters in the world at the time isn't motivational enough? Whatever you say, Dan. Good job finally finding motivation post 40 years old, I guess.
    Am I misremembering or was there an era in Pride where Henderson looked a bit juiced? I'm a Hendo fan but he, like many of the Pride guys, is just someone I assumed used in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

  8. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    I think you're confusing abusing PEDs with raising your testosterone back to normal levels.

    The whole "natural" argument has always been silly.
    This is a sport where people who don't need to, fight each other. For the enjoyment of spectators. There's nothing 'natural' about that at all.
    Fighters are not using them to raise them to natural levels. They are using them ton raise their testosterone to well above normal levels.

    It was revealed earlier today that Alistair Overeem's failed pre-UFC 146 drug screen revealed his Testosterone/Epitestosterone levels to be at a ratio of 14:1, whereas a normal man would possess a ratio of 1:1. These results were stated by Keith Kizer, commissioner of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Kizer revealed earlier this week that Overeem's levels were higher than 10:1, and that any levels shown to be above 6:1 are considered a violation.
    What is allowed under athletic commision rules is 6 times the testosterone ratio of an average person.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

  9. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Fighters are not using them to raise them to natural levels. They are using them ton raise their testosterone to well above normal levels.



    What is allowed under athletic commision rules is 6 times the testosterone ratio of an average person.
    Show me a ng/mL test rather than a T:E test.

    Show me their actual testosterone levels then I will agree with you that TRT makes them superhuman. You have absolutely no knowledge of how much testosterone they are allowed to take.

    Are you an endocrinologist? Do you work for an athletic commission?

    Didn't think so.

    Yours is an emotional response.

    Does synthetic testosterone magically heal deteriorated joints and ligaments? Is it a magical anti-aging serum?

    Nope.

    Does it give someone drive psychologically?

    Yes, because of the effect of a normalized amount of testosterone.

    Does having your metabolic system fixed allow to fight at a higher level?

    Yes.

    Does it make them superhuman with infinite pain tolerance?

    No.

    Does it allow a fighter who doesn't produce enough a hormone be on a level playing field against the younger fighters?

    That's what the intention is.

    TRT sure helped Marquardt in his last fight. Did you see how aggressive he was?
    Last edited by Sniggles; 02-07-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •