Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Belfort was allowed to use Testosterone Replacement Therapy for UFC on FX 7

Low and High Testosterone Symptoms

Low Testosterone: The Long Term Health Consequences

So if the doc tells you a reading of 350 is fine, you can always do the reverse of what I tell you on this site: for a few days prior to your blood test try to decrease your testosterone: eat a high fiber, low fat diet with little saturated fat all the while you're overtraining on little sleep. That ought to whack a good 30% off your score. But a better solution is to just get a new doctor. You want to work with someone who is not living in 80's as far as medical knowledge and practice.

Why do I say that? Because the symptoms of low testosterone are just plain dangerous. Low testosterone is associated with heart disease, depression [8], Metabolic Syndrome [4], diabetes [5], cognitive disorders and even osteoporosis. It is no exaggeration to say that low testosterone is the Kiss of Death for all you male homo sapiens out there. A 2007 study found that low testosterone was associated with increased risk of death from heart disease, cancer and all causes. [3] So please, please do NOT accept your doctor's opinion that testosterone in the 200's or 300's is okay.

One of the reasons that low testosterone is so deadly is that it somehow effects all the major cardiovascular markers. One recent large scale epidemiological study found that low testosterone men, < 250, were 1) fatter, 2) had lower HDL, 3) higher triglycerides, 4) higher blood pressure and 5) higher blood glucose. [7] That is a deadly combination! The low testosterone men were tracked over 18 years and it was found that they had a 40% higher death rate from all causes!

Low testosterone will also often put your relationships and career at jeopardy as well, because testosterone so strongly effects the male brain. For example, supplemental testosterone can aid certain types of memory in men. Working memory, which allows you to manipulate information over brief periods of time in order to make a response, improves. Verbal memory, which helps you recall lists of words, and spatial memory, which helps you navigate a route, also benefit. [6] (By the way, I cover many ways that science has found to re-build your brain on this site. See this link on the Brain for more information about how to build your cognition and memory no matter what your age.)

I should also mention that low testosterone is associated with increased risk of Alzheimer's Disease (AD) as well! How's that for an ugly symptom? The well-known Baltimore Longitudinal Study showed this strong correlation do dementia. Researchers are still trying to figure out why, but studies of rat brain cells found that the hormone limits the production of beta-amyloid peptides. These sticky protein fragments, thought to be a prime contributor to Alzheimer's, build up into small, round deposits and clog the brains of people with the disease.

The hormone also may help ward off AD by directly preventing brain cell death. In studies, researchers manipulated human brain cells, sending them on a course to die. Adding doses of testosterone, however, limited the [brain] cell death."

No wonder that low testosterone leads to depression, feeling like you're "in a fog" and difficulties concentrating! Your libido will probably sag and you may find that you really don't care about much of anything. Low testosterone can even easily lead to anxiety and depression as well. Remember: these are not just symptoms - low testosterone effects your brain chemistry at its core.

On top of all that low testosterone men tend to be slightly sleep deprived because research has shown that low testosterone leads to poor quality sleep. [9] This is probably due to the extra adiposity (body fat) that comes from decreased muscle mass. You need your testosterone to burn that fat off your midsection!

I should also mention, though, that one recent study found that many males with low testosterone, defined as < 300, were asymptomatic. In fact, that study found that almost 50% of males in the 50+ age range had no significant symptoms with low testosterone. [7] In other words, there is a significant percentage of you and your friends out there, generally in the 40+ age range, that are walking around with low testosterone and are actually not even exhibiting symptoms. That is why I would advise any middle-aged and beyond guy to occasionally get his testosterone checked even if he's "feeling pretty good".

The bottom line is that you need your testosterone. It's the heart and soul of the male physiology and psychology. But I thought it was dangerous to boost your testosterone you may ask? (Please read my link on the Prostate to find how to greatly improve your odds against Prostate Cancer.) Remember: I'm not a doctor, so you should talk to yours. But I want to point out that decades of studies have shown time and again that there is no link between prostate cancer and testosterone supplementation.

Testosterone is a natural substance INCREDIBLY important to your male body and mind. If your levels are low, testosterone supplementation is not abuse: it's simply getting your hormone levels back in line. Remember: your goal is not to be Barry Bonds with sky high testosterone levels so you can compete with other ten million dollar elite athletes. You are simply trying to get your tissue levels back reasonably close to the days of your youth. All these nasty symptoms can go away in a day if you get rid of your low testosterone.

Again, what is really dangerous is to NOT boost your testosterone. Low testosterone symptoms are not just symptoms: low testosterone levels will literally kill you (and before that probably make you miserable and impotent). So, please, get to the doctor and get tested if you have any doubt. (And don't be afraid to get tested again: testosterone readings can sometimes be off.)

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    I think you're confusing abusing PEDs with raising your testosterone back to normal levels.

The whole "natural" argument has always been silly.
    This is a sport where people who don't need to, fight each other. For the enjoyment of spectators. There's nothing 'natural' about that at all.
    There's nothing natural about any sport. I have PEDs and TRT in the same boat, if you don't produce either naturally and you NEED or WANT to take them you don't belong in a professional sport. Find another way to make a living IMO.

I feel bad for Bisping now 3rd loss to a TRT patient.
    Last edited by Qball1974; 02-07-2013 at 08:33 AM.

My problem is your getting older fighters who should be slowing down regaining some youth by using TRT when they should be thinking about retiring. Also some fighters who abused other drugs in the past crippled their bodies from producing testosterone themselves so now they need TRT. Is that fair to other fighters who stayed clean,or younger fighters who dont rely on TRT to perform at this high level? I don't believe it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    What Low T commercial did you get that from? haha

I'm really torn on this topic. Fuck anyone that needs it cause they abused roids in the past. But if someone is 28 years old and legit doc finds they have Low T, well that sounds like a medical condition.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Fighters are not using them to raise them to natural levels. They are using them ton raise their testosterone to well above normal levels.

What is allowed under athletic commision rules is 6 times the testosterone ratio of an average person.
    Fail.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    What Low T commercial did you get that from? haha

I'm really torn on this topic. Fuck anyone that needs it cause they abused roids in the past. But if someone is 28 years old and legit doc finds they have Low T, well that sounds like a medical condition.
    Ugh, fail #2.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Do I think some guys abuse TRT, of course I do. People will always try to find a way to gain an edge. Do I believe that some guys need TRT and actually use it because they need it, yes I do. TRT is a widely accept medical practice. A lot of wrestlers end up using it later in life because of the tolls from years of weight cutting takes on your body. A guy like Hendo has been cutting weight for about 34 years, that is longer than most of the people on this forum have been alive. If you do not think a medical condition can occur after years of weight cutting then you should go google it and see what you find. From my own experience, it stunted my growth. All my brothers are over 6 ft tall and here I am at 5'6.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Why not? I've never understood this stupid argument. Because it is unfair for veterans to have the testosterone levels of a 20 year old and the experience of a vet?

There are no age brackets. No "testosterone level" brackets.
    Because no 40 year old man naturally has the same testosterone as a 25 year old man. There are testosterone level brackets, the older you get the lower it gets. For Dan Henderson to raise his levels to that of a 25 year old is unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post

TRT sure helped Marquardt in his last fight. Did you see how aggressive he was?
    That's like saying steroids didn't help a baseball player if he didn't hit a home run in every game.
    Let's also ban anyone that has ever had Lasek eye surgery...
    Yeah, cause lasik surgery helps your training and strength.

To say TRT doesn't help a fighter is assinine. It doesn't guarantee a win but it does give them the ability to go through a tough training camp that they wouldn't naturally have the ability to do. It helps with energy during a weight cut.

TRT has a place in the world for people who actually need it. Peak physical specimens don't need it and only use it because it gives them an advantage.

Thread Information