+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebney says Bellator pay-per-view on 'fast track' if Alvarez dispute ended

Default Rebney says Bellator pay-per-view on 'fast track' if Alvarez dispute ended

Bjorn Rebney says Bellator pay-per-view on 'fast track' if Alvarez dispute ended | News

Bellator's first pay-per-view event will happen sooner rather than later if Eddie Alvarez returns to the promotion's fold.

"If we can figure that out, I think we'd be on a fast track to being able to put [a pay-per-view card] in motion," Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps).

After suing each other in court, the two parties apparently are at a standstill. To Rebney's knowledge, there haven't been any new developments since a federal judge blocked an injunction to allow Alvarez to sign with the UFC, which intended to promote him at UFC 159 in April.

A rep for Alvarez recently declined comment on the dueling lawsuits' status.

Rebney said he hasn't kept close track of the cases since he's been focused on Bellator's crossover to Spike TV and the recent announcement of a new reality show featuring UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture.

"I put it into the hands of the attorneys and said, 'Let me know when and if we can reopen the door and try to get it fixed and work it out,'" he said.

In matching an offer from UFC parent Zuffa at the expiration of Alvarez's previous contract, Bellator signaled its intention to promote him in a spring pay-per-view fight against the man who took his belt, current champ Michael Chandler (11-0 MMA, 8-0 BFC).

Alvarez (24-3 MMA, 8-1 BFC), though, declined to sign the offer, arguing that the deals weren't equivalent and questioning whether Bellator could deliver on pay-per-view.

Bellator lawyers argued the promotion's relationship with Viacom positioned it for success in the pay TV market. The media giant, which owns Spike TV, purchased a controlling interest in the promotion two years ago.

In court late this past month, the federal judge determined that Alvarez hadn't sufficiently proven that he would be irreparably harmed if he didn't sign with the UFC.

Now, Alvarez will ultimately decide whether to return to Bellator or fight further to free himself. Rebney remains optimistic he'll do the former. The promoter wants to see Chandler vs. Alvarez II.

"It's the best fight I've ever seen live, pay-per-view or free," Rebney said. "I think the rematch of that fight would be epic."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

woah woah woah, lets stick with what got you to the dance. You have a hard enough time stacking your TV cards, let alone something people would pay for.

Funny because on the MMA Hour, Michael Chandler said he never heard anything about Bellator putting together a PPV with him headlining until the details of Alvarez's contract negotiations became public.

viacom aint no joke, those creeps are going to do everything in their power to snatch up page and barnett and keep alvarez if for nothing else but a inaugural ppv they would be wise to pickup some of the 1fc and jmma strays maybe even flirt with m-1 alittle

Ok I'd been defending Bjorn throughout this ordeal but this is just plain creepy! Eddie wants to fight in the UFC, so just let him go! Why force a man to fight for your organization. He has said repeatedly that he wants to fight for them and not for Bellator anymore. It's time to have some pride and wish Eddie the best of luck, hell they let Hector Lombard sign with the UFC, and he was destroying contenders in Bellator for years. I don't see what makes Eddie more special than Hector, who was undefeated in the promotion. This smacks of desperation and it worries me. If Bellator really feels that it has to waste time and money trying to make Eddie Alverez fight for them, then there are deeper lying issues within this organization. I think the strategy of building a brand around a few "big names" is the wrong idea. They can make new names by signing up in coming exciting fighters who people will pay to see. I hope Bellator isn't as desperate as it seems right now, because it would be a shame to see Bellator closing it's doors.......
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

If he wants to venture into the PPV realm, then why is he suing everyone who leaves his promotion? That has to be such a huge waste of time, money and other resources that he could be using to help take his promotion to the next level (albeit, no time soon). Here's an idea, stop suing people you bitter fuck. Invest your time and money more wisely and maybe then you'll start seeing some results.

Ugh I hate the PPV model. With the internet it's becoming increasingly obsolete. Why would Bellator move towards it? I get the feeling with Spike in control the promotion is going to go to shit.

Zombie is born!

8. Default

The dispute he himself started? Riiiight.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

only reason he wants to do a ppv is so they can match the UFC's contracts... i enjoy most bellator shows but i wouldnt pay for them

Couture: White sees Viacom as a threat - Mixed Martial Arts News

Randy Couture was interviewed Wednesday on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show about his recent move to Bellator and the controversy around it.

On communication with UFC president Dana White:
    “I had some rather interesting and classic texts that came to my phone. This was kind of a couple weeks ago when things started leaking.”

On White saying he was happy Couture is gone:
    “I’m happy to not have to put up with and keep my mouth shut and deal with Dana as well. It goes both ways. I have a ton of respect for the UFC. In a lot of ways, I still have respect for Dana and the passion that he has for the sport and the things that him and Lorenzo have managed to do for the sport over the course of their tenure since 2000... certainly there’s plenty of things I don’t agree with.”

On Viacom owning Spike TV and Bellator:
    "At the end of the day, they’ve never shied away from competition and I think that’s what’s got them on their heels a little bit now and Dana especially, is that I think they see Viacom and this whole platform as a threat and serious competition to them being considered the only brand in the marketplace in this sport.”

On the role of a coach:
    “The coaches that I’ve had in my life have been in a lot of ways that standup male figure that I lacked. Having a father that was never around, those were the guys that I turned to. They guided me. They shaped and molded me in a lot of ways, so I have a ton of respect for that position and that title.”

Frank Shamrock says Bellator's value lies in its eye toward MMA's future
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...rd-mmas-future

Frank Shamrock said he is where he is because he chose his own destiny.

Agreeing to fight Tito Ortiz inside the circa-1999 octagon, he took a step that would forever change his life.

Shamrock (23-10-2), who took the belt from Ortiz and then walked away from the sport, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he hasn't coached for years. But he agreed to shepherd fighters on Bellator MMA's new reality show because he sees the promotion promotes the way he lived.

"Bellator's got the past and future in mind," Shamrock said. "That's why I'm here. Otherwise, I'd be at home on my couch."

Shamrock joins Randy Couture, Greg Jackson and Joe Warren on the inaugural season of the show, which begins filming this weekend in New Orleans and airs later this year on Spike TV. Thirty-two welterweights, experienced and new, will compete for a spot on the promotion's fall tournament, which pays out $100,000 to its winner.

The coaches will guide four squads of four men apiece following elimination-round fights. Spike executives said a large part of the show's appeal will come from the interplay between coaches and fighters, who are allowed to choose who they fight in two-round professional bouts.

Shamrock's last high profile coaching gig came in 2006, when he led a squad of up-and-comers in the defunct International Fight League.

But while there's plenty of competition to be had, there's also a branding opportunity for the fighter, who segued into commentary after going 1-3 in his last four fights.

"I'm in the TV business – I get that," said Shamrock, who was on the first team for the now-defunct Strikeforce promotion before UFC parent Zuffa folded the company this past month.

But Shamrock, who fought sporadically after beating Ortiz, also believes it's his job to steer the sport away from its current course, which he said favors controversy over worth. A longtime critic of UFC President Dana White, he said tournament formats do a better job of building interest than superfights, which place more emphasis on out-of-the-cage promotion.

"We've sucked all the juice out of these fans," Shamrock said. "They've got to cough up $50 every time to watch a bunch of guys fighting that, 'Why are they fighting again?' Because Dana said they could and so-and-so had a big mouth.

"There's nothing that says if I try hard and live the martial arts lifestyle, I'm going to get to here. Right now, it's finding a gimmick. There's nothing that speaks to our past and our future."

Shamrock saw through one gimmick when reality show was met with hostility by his chief antagonist, White, who blasted Couture's move to Spike after serving as a UFC analyst on FOX.

"The best part about him is he's consistent," Shamrock said of the UFC president. "You can always rely on him for consistent media, and you can always rely on him to be angry. And I bank on it. When I do deals, I go, 'Oh, don't worry about it. I can get Dana to say whatever I want.' It's wonderful.

"I think it's shortsighted and immature of him (toward Couture), but if that's the way he wants to run his company, and that's the way he wants to build his brand, I think we're OK with it."

Shamrock also wasn't bothered by the thought that White would try to erase him from the UFC history books, as the executive largely did when their relationship soured almost immediately after the promotion was purchased by Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta in 2001.

"I don't feel much about it," Shamrock said. "It was my personal journey. I love the sport because of what it gave to me personally. That's all that mattered to me. I came out of it healthy and a good person. If we can get anybody else on that journey, that's more than enough for me.

"My ego's fine. I've got more than enough money, belts, and all that stuff. What I want is to help this community, because if you're not helping people and you're just taking from them, eventually people will wear down and not be real supporters any more."

Bellator's move to Spike TV comes at a crucial moment for the sport, which has seen reality show tournaments stagnate. "The Ultimate Fighter," which features a group of vets and newcomers competing in a tourney for an octagon contract, is up slightly in its 17th season, but although it continues to perform strongly in young male demographics, its overall viewership is down.

"We need more depth," Shamrock said. "We need more human interest in a person. We can't get it in a big superfight. It doesn't work. For me, I want to hear how the guy struggled, I want to hear how he got hurt and recovered, and I want to see the process. Otherwise, I turn on the fights, I go, 'Eh, that guy,' and then I turn him off. Then Dana comes out and yells and screams, and why would I want to be assaulted by that?"
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information