Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Barnett, UFC Fail To Come To Terms

Default Josh Barnett, UFC Fail To Come To Terms

Josh Barnett, UFC Fail To Come To Terms

Former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett appears to be headed elsewhere, as MMAFighting.com reported on Wednesday that “The Warmaster” and the UFC have broke off talks.

“We agreed on guaranteed compensation. In fact, we never even countered. We accepted their original offer,” said LeLand LaBarre, the manager for Barnett. “However, there are some outlying issues – one in particular – that as of this point, we were unable to agree on.”

LaBarre declined to explain what that one issue was, saying it was not the right time.

Barnett (32-6) last fought inside the Octagon back in 2002. He won the heavyweight title from Randy Couture, but was stripped of the belt after failing a drug test. He later went on to fight in several promotions, including Affliction and Strikeforce.

In his last appearance, Barnett defeated Nandor Guelmino inside the Strikeforce cage.

UFC president Dana White had stated several times during recent interviews that he felt negotiations between the UFC and Barnett were going smoothly, and that he expected him to be coming to the promotion this year.
    NEGOTIATIONS BETWEEN JOSH BARNETT AND UFC HIT A STICKING POINT

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...medium=twitter

Josh Barnett (32-6) and UFC parent Zuffa still haven't reached a deal.

The top free agent's rep said the two sides have reached "a sticking point" despite agreeing on guaranteed compensation.

"Once we have an acceptable deal with someone, we will close, sign and hopefully fight within a few months," manager Leland LaBarre today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Sources close to the promotion confirmed that Barnett's offer was still on the table, though talks had recently deteriorated.

Barnett served the obligation of his previous contract with the now-defunct Strikeforce when he submitted Nandor Guelmino at the promotion's final event.

This past month, Barnett indicated that he was considering the idea of signing with the industry-leader due to high demand from fans wanting to see him compete in the octagon.

But the fighter also entertained offers from competing promotions, according to LaBarre.

"We've had a discussion with every major organization you've heard of and some you haven't," he said.

UFC President Dana White recently confirmed ongoing negotiations with Barnett and expressed his openness to sign the fighter despite a contentious past with him. However, sources close to the promotion indicated things were "not looking good" at the moment.

A contract dispute in 2003 saw Barnett leave the promotion on a bad note. He won the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 36 only to be stripped of the belt when he later tested positive for steroids.

Barnett fell short in the finals of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix, losing to Daniel Cormier, but ended his tenure with a record of 4-1 following his win over Guelmino.
    Disappointing. Barnett's not a done deal at this time. Wonder where he'll go.
    Last edited by trustkill; 02-06-2013 at 10:35 PM.

2. Default

Shocking.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Damn I was really looking forward to seeing the warmaster in action in the UFC. I hope things work out, the HW division isn't very big, even in the UFC. Hell against the right opponent, he could even hold the gold for a minute...anyway I hope this isn't the final word on wether or not he fights in the UFC.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

4. Default

Im willing to bet that the sticking point had something to do with being able to do his stuff in japan when not fighting..

5. Default

Godammit, there goes any chance of seeing Barnet/Mir, Barnett/Werdum, and Barnett/Nelson.

P.S. - I know Bjorn said they have no interest in him, but Barnett should go to Bellator. King Mo's deal with fighting and doing Pro Wrestling on the side would be much better suited for someone like Barnett. Hell, I'm sure they could actually put him on TNA wrestling on Spike TV.
    Last edited by H0SS; 02-07-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    ------------------

God dammit! That sucks..

Barnett's such a mark for himself. The UFC is the only relevant place for HWs and the window of Barnett's prime is winding down.

The JMMA and Puroresu markets are pretty down right now and if that is the "concession", than he's an idiot. He could make some OK money, but if he spent a year or two getting the ZUFFA exposure and then went back to doing the Japan worked-shoot scene, he'd have alot more options.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Im willing to bet that the sticking point had something to do with being able to do his stuff in japan when not fighting..
    I would think so. Lets hope Barnett is just playing hard to get but I am not sure he is in the place to be playing hard to get with Zuffa.

WSOF? they need to sign some names and with the NBC deal they should be getting a bunch of exposure soon. WSOF fighting should be scrambling to pick up Barnett and Rampage to gain some mainstream name value. Bellator but I dont think that would add anything to Barnett's stock at this point.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

well god freaking dammit.

a tried and true fighter like barnett would be a great measuring stick for every up and coming heavyweight, even if he'll never beat cain.

and can you imagine how awesome it would be to see him beat up cheick kongo?

oh well. he'll walk through everyone in bellator.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    WSOF? they need to sign some names and with the NBC deal they should be getting a bunch of exposure soon. WSOF fighting should be scrambling to pick up Barnett and Rampage to gain some mainstream name value. Bellator but I dont think that would add anything to Barnett's stock at this point.
    If he doesn't end up signing with UFC, I think that's the best place for him. It would give the company more big name credibility in their heavyweight division, and they would most likely let him get away with wrestling in Japan. In any case though I really do hope that he's just playing hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information