Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soares:Silva has 'nothing to gain' from Weidman fight, expresses interest in Cung Le

Default Soares:Silva has 'nothing to gain' from Weidman fight, expresses interest in Cung Le

Ed Soares: Anderson Silva has 'nothing to gain' from Chris Weidman fight, expresses interest in Cung Le - MMAmania.com

Ed Soares, who serves as the manger and interpreter to the champion, tells Cage Fanatic he doesn't know who is next for Silva, he just wants it to be someone who is well known by fans and can draw eyeballs, naming former Strikeforce champion Cung Le as a potential opponent.

His words:

"(Silva's next fight) is still up in the air man, we don't know who that is, you know, unfortunately Bisping lost which was a big thing but, you know, I'm not too sure. I'm not too sure who could be next, I mean there's a few names out there but I think nothing really stable. There's been a few guys who - you know we want to fight someone who has a little bit of a name, someone that has as big of a name as possible and that's on a winning record or a winning run right now. So, I mean right now it seems like most of the guys with names have had losses very recently. So, when I think about it, like the only thing that comes to mind and I don't even know if that would be a possible fight is, you know, like Cung Le is coming off of three wins or something like that where he's got a little bit of a name, but I mean it's really hard in that division because it's so evenly matched all the opponents on any given day one of those guys can beat each other, so you know, once again whoever the UFC decided we're in."

*Wow, this like a sad joke.

Two in a row not 3, loss to Wandy in the end of 2011.
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 01-26-2013 at 07:10 AM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Actually it makes sense if you're capable of looking at his options objectively. To me the logical option is Luke Rockhold. Having a division with 2 middle weight champions is just dumb. That is like having 2 rulers in a domain, a castle with 2 kings lol wtf.

Weidman should be fighting Vitor or Rashad Evans if he is seriously dropping down to mw. A win over either guy would definitely put him on the map even with casual fans.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Actually it makes sense if you're capable of looking at his options objectively. To me the logical option is Luke Rockhold. Having a division with 2 middle weight champions is just dumb. That is like having 2 rulers in a domain, a castle with 2 kings lol wtf.

Weidman should be fighting Vitor or Rashad Evans if he is seriously dropping down to mw. A win over either guy would definitely put him on the map even with casual fans.
    Ed is talking Le not Rockhold..

Are you claiming it makes more sense for Anderson to fight Le than Weidman?

Does anyone even have Le ranked in the top ten MW?

Do you think Saffiedine should be getting the next shot at GSP Diaz winner?
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 01-26-2013 at 07:07 AM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Anderson sees something in Weidman that scares the shit out of him.

I think Anderson look's at Weidman like Chael but younger with better strikes bigger power and a better subs...Yep would be scary.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Yea man I read the title!

From a financial stand point that fight would probably sale more with casual fans. Le's name is more marketable. He is an actor, he is a superb striker and he happens to have the name based off a well known video game character. Then you have Weidman who has the potential to make this fight a snooze fest. In addition Silva has more title defenses than Weidman has fights and has nothing to gain by beating him but everything to lose.

Ofcourse not but he is a former champion with a well known name. This would be fantasy fight amongst casuals.

Hell yea he is a champion. Having two champions in the same weight class makes the title disputed and that is a crime imo. Hendricks and everyone else will just have to weight for the division to settle the title disputes 1st. If he complains too bad fucking quit or be a team player.

Noone had any problems with Rampage Jackson fighting Dan Henderson.

Quote Originally Posted by v3xi View Post
    Anderson sees something in Weidman that scares the shit out of him.
    Yea a high risk low reward fight with a potentially bad pay day. Only a fool gambles with his career and again Weidman was never officially considered the number 1 contender nor has the UFC told Silva he has to fight Weidman.

Dana White simply said he is in the mix something a few other fighters have been told.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 01-26-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    Anderson Silva:

How the fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk does Anderson have nothing to gain fiighting Weidman? im sick of hearing that. The fact that Weidman is the best guy in the division Andy is king of means there is something to gain from beating him...Credibility as a fucking champion.

Talk all you want about the quantity of Silva's title defenses ...It's about all he has going cause we all know of the quality of them.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

This was perfectly said.

Cat, you have a way of creating clarity with few words. It might just be the whiskey, but you're my hero.

Infinite rep from me, my good sir.

(Except the knock on Le who I like and want in the top 10. Though I recognize he's probably not...)

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Weidman was never officially considered the number 1 contender nor has the UFC told Silva he has to fight Weidman.

Dana White simply said he is in the mix something a few other fighters have been told.
    Dana White 'The #1 Contender Right Now Is Weidman' - FightLine.com

EDIT: Again, I say this as someone who wants to see Weidman have another fight before the title. I say this as someone who thinks that Silva absolutely embarrasses Weidman. But the man was declared the #1 contender; Rockhold's title is next to meaningless and everyone knows it; and anyone saying that Rockhold has earned it over Weidman is ignoring any and all rankings.

I could absolutely see saying that Vitor earned the shot. It's not great, but if Bisping would have gotten the shot with a win, then so should Vitor. But there's no way in hell a sane person says that Rockhold is the #1 contender.
    Last edited by AnchorPunch; 01-26-2013 at 07:30 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kZeEdt1oN4
    If Dana was so sure about Weidman being the number 1 contender why has this fight not been made yet? By his own words whatever the fight is the fight is.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    EDIT: Again, I say this as someone who wants to see Weidman have another fight before the title. I say this as someone who thinks that Silva absolutely embarrasses Weidman. But the man was declared the #1 contender; Rockhold's title is next to meaningless and everyone knows it; and anyone saying that Rockhold has earned it over Weidman is ignoring any and all rankings.

I could absolutely see saying that Vitor earned the shot. It's not great, but if Bisping would have gotten the shot with a win, then so should Vitor. But there's no way in hell a sane person says that Rockhold is the #1 contender.
    A sane person would say that Rockhold is the current mw champion. You don't disrespect the champion from another organization by making the suggestion that he has to earn his shot.

On what universe does that happen? On what universe is it acceptable to have 2 champions in the same division?

What I get from people complaining about Silva vs Rockhold is that "yea basically I know you're the champion from SF but your belt isn't worth shit here.... so earn your shot bitch".
    Last edited by roaddawg; 01-26-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    Anderson Silva:

Thread Information