+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Gray Maynard 'thinking about' dropping to 145 lbs

Hybrid View

  1. Default Gray Maynard 'thinking about' dropping to 145 lbs

    Tweet of the day: Gray Maynard 'thinking about' dropping to 145 lbs - Bloody Elbow



    UFC lightweight Gray Maynard is already one of the best fighters in his crowded division, but while he recovers from knee surgery he doesn't have a fight booked. When asked on Twitter whether he could make 145 lbs, "The Bully" responded with this:

    Gray Maynard ✔ @GrayMaynard

    I dont know. thinking about it RT @TheJonDelbrugge: @GrayMaynard could you make 45?
    4:32 AM - 07 Feb 13
    On one hand, this could be a nothing comment. On the other hand, if he turns "thinking about it" into "actually doing it", who is up for Edgar vs. Maynard IV? As far as fighting current champion Jose Aldo, Maynard said he would never fight him nor would a possible 145 move be a permanent switch.

    Gray Maynard ✔ @GrayMaynard

    I would never fight aldo n never stay at 145RT @Amanda_NYY: @GrayMaynard your boy Aldo rules 145, would that factor into the decision?
    4:40 AM - 07 Feb 13
    Well that statement certainly cools the jets off of Aldo vs. another lightweight-turned-featherweight for the time being. Maynard last fought in June against Clay Guida, winning a split decision in a fight nobody could've possibly believed to be anything but bad. He was scheduled to face Joe Lauzon at UFC 155 when the knee injury forced him out.

    It'll be interesting to see how the next few months turns out for Maynard, particularly with the lightweight title picture further complicated by Anthony Pettis' drop to 145 to fight Jose Aldo.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,747

    Default

    I was about to say about him and Aldo being training partners but never mind.

    He'd be an animal at 45. But I think he's probably bendos toughest test at lw, so why not work towards that?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I was about to say about him and Aldo being training partners but never mind.

    He'd be an animal at 45. But I think he's probably bendos toughest test at lw, so why not work towards that?
    it doesnt matter where he goes, he is going to run into the buzzsaw that is Showtime Pettis.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    it doesnt matter where he goes, he is going to run into the buzzsaw that is Showtime Pettis.
    I think he grinds the shit outta Pettis. Pettis has better chances against Bendo.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    california
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I think he grinds the shit outta Pettis. Pettis has better chances against Bendo.
    Agree'd. It will basically be Pettis Vs. Guida all over again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    13,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    it doesnt matter where he goes, he is going to run into the buzzsaw that is Showtime Pettis.
    Yes and after running into Pettis, he will promptly take his ass down and GNP him for fifteen minutes.

    Gray's MMA wrestling is utterly gnarly and Pettis hasn't gone up against a wrestler of Gray's caliber(arguably ever)and had great difficulties against Guida.

    Gray has a sandwich on Pettis' back all night long.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ont. Canada
    Posts
    2,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Yes and after running into Pettis, he will promptly take his ass down and GNP him for fifteen minutes.

    Gray's MMA wrestling is utterly gnarly and Pettis hasn't gone up against a wrestler of Gray's caliber(arguably ever)and had great difficulties against Guida.

    Gray has a sandwich on Pettis' back all night long.
    Gray hasnt used his wrestling in a long time. He thinks hes a boxer all of a sudden (see edgar 2/3 and guida fight). I think Pettis has been working his wrestling as any fighter would when a weakness is shown. He hasnt been on his back since that fight.


  8. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Gray hasnt used his wrestling in a long time. He thinks hes a boxer all of a sudden (see edgar 2/3 and guida fight). I think Pettis has been working his wrestling as any fighter would when a weakness is shown. He hasnt been on his back since that fight.
    Gray has been fighting guys he figured he could beat standing which has had mixed results for him, but can't fault him for it with Edgar he came pretty close both times to winning.

    Pettis hasn't fought anyone with a strong wrestling game since losing to Guida so it's still a question mark as to whether he can really defend it.

  9. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    13,814

    Default

    I've always heard that Gray had some difficulty getting down to LW since he cuts alot of weight. Don't see this happening, plus I think he is the greatest threat to Bendo.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •