Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gray Maynard 'thinking about' dropping to 145 lbs

1. Default Gray Maynard 'thinking about' dropping to 145 lbs

Tweet of the day: Gray Maynard 'thinking about' dropping to 145 lbs - Bloody Elbow

UFC lightweight Gray Maynard is already one of the best fighters in his crowded division, but while he recovers from knee surgery he doesn't have a fight booked. When asked on Twitter whether he could make 145 lbs, "The Bully" responded with this:

Gray Maynard ✔ @GrayMaynard

I dont know. thinking about it RT @TheJonDelbrugge: @GrayMaynard could you make 45?
    4:32 AM - 07 Feb 13
    On one hand, this could be a nothing comment. On the other hand, if he turns "thinking about it" into "actually doing it", who is up for Edgar vs. Maynard IV? As far as fighting current champion Jose Aldo, Maynard said he would never fight him nor would a possible 145 move be a permanent switch.

Gray Maynard ✔ @GrayMaynard

I would never fight aldo n never stay at 145RT @Amanda_NYY: @GrayMaynard your boy Aldo rules 145, would that factor into the decision?
    4:40 AM - 07 Feb 13
    Well that statement certainly cools the jets off of Aldo vs. another lightweight-turned-featherweight for the time being. Maynard last fought in June against Clay Guida, winning a split decision in a fight nobody could've possibly believed to be anything but bad. He was scheduled to face Joe Lauzon at UFC 155 when the knee injury forced him out.

It'll be interesting to see how the next few months turns out for Maynard, particularly with the lightweight title picture further complicated by Anthony Pettis' drop to 145 to fight Jose Aldo.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I was about to say about him and Aldo being training partners but never mind.

He'd be an animal at 45. But I think he's probably bendos toughest test at lw, so why not work towards that?

I've always heard that Gray had some difficulty getting down to LW since he cuts alot of weight. Don't see this happening, plus I think he is the greatest threat to Bendo.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I was about to say about him and Aldo being training partners but never mind.

He'd be an animal at 45. But I think he's probably bendos toughest test at lw, so why not work towards that?
    it doesnt matter where he goes, he is going to run into the buzzsaw that is Showtime Pettis.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

5. Default

maynard is a HUGE 155. I cant imagine cutting another 10 lbs being healthy for him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    it doesnt matter where he goes, he is going to run into the buzzsaw that is Showtime Pettis.
    I think he grinds the shit outta Pettis. Pettis has better chances against Bendo.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Yes and after running into Pettis, he will promptly take his ass down and GNP him for fifteen minutes.

Gray's MMA wrestling is utterly gnarly and Pettis hasn't gone up against a wrestler of Gray's caliber(arguably ever)and had great difficulties against Guida.

Gray has a sandwich on Pettis' back all night long.

I actually would have thought he was the biggest LW in the UFC, other than Tibau maybe. I have a tough time seeing him making 45 and actually being able to perform the next day, unless he plans on dropping a little muscle.

Looks like everyone in the LW division wants to go downstairs to take a beating XD

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Yes and after running into Pettis, he will promptly take his ass down and GNP him for fifteen minutes.

Gray's MMA wrestling is utterly gnarly and Pettis hasn't gone up against a wrestler of Gray's caliber(arguably ever)and had great difficulties against Guida.

Gray has a sandwich on Pettis' back all night long.
    Gray hasnt used his wrestling in a long time. He thinks hes a boxer all of a sudden (see edgar 2/3 and guida fight). I think Pettis has been working his wrestling as any fighter would when a weakness is shown. He hasnt been on his back since that fight.

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Thread Information