+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gray Maynard 'thinking about' dropping to 145 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Gray hasnt used his wrestling in a long time. He thinks hes a boxer all of a sudden (see edgar 2/3 and guida fight). I think Pettis has been working his wrestling as any fighter would when a weakness is shown. He hasnt been on his back since that fight.
    Gray has been fighting guys he figured he could beat standing which has had mixed results for him, but can't fault him for it with Edgar he came pretty close both times to winning.

Pettis hasn't fought anyone with a strong wrestling game since losing to Guida so it's still a question mark as to whether he can really defend it.

Now that Frankie is gone I see no reason why Gray cant be champ or very least #2 LW in the world. He wont fight Aldo, so he wont be champ, might as well just stay.

And obviously the guy is huge.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    edgar and guida are pretty accomplished wrestlers in their own. Maybe the game plan was to not wrestle with wrestlers....
    I agree with this sentiment. Hard to take either of those guys down and grind them. I think it would be competitive and fun, but Gray could get it to the ground. I think I would favor Pettis in a five round fight.

Not sure why Gray would move down. He would be a good fight for Bendo after he picks up a few more wins.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    edgar and guida are pretty accomplished wrestlers in their own. Maybe the game plan was to not wrestle with wrestlers....
    ^ This. And he did do a little wrestling with Edgar.

I'm VERY high on Maynard now that he spends time at Jose's camp (can't ever remember the name). I'm looking for him to start incorporating knees, mix up his hands a bit, and I think he'll move into a higher finishing percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    it doesnt matter where he goes, he is going to run into the buzzsaw that is Showtime Pettis.
    LOL Maynard kills him. He's not going to stay at the distance Pettis needs for kicks and he's not going to give him enough space to plant his feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

he's one of the biggest lightweights this side of gleison tibau, and it just isn't healthy for him to get down to that weight.

he could give bendo a run for his money, and could still beat up nearly all the other contenders, (pettis included if he fought smart). i'm eager to see where he stands in 3 fights.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    LOL Maynard kills him. He's not going to stay at the distance Pettis needs for kicks and he's not going to give him enough space to plant his feet.
    First of all, Gray is a huge LW. That cut ain't happening.

Second of all, I don't think either one of them would run through each other. They both possess dangers and problems for each of their styles.

You can say Gray will take Pettis down and keep him there, and that's fine, but Pettis has shown that he is very good off his back and would be working for submissions or to get up the whole time. It's very possible he could keep him there and grind out a decision, but it's at his own risk.

Also, you can reference the Guida fight all you want, but Pettis had Guida in trouble multiple times throughout the fight while he was on his back. Pettis works with Ben Askren on his wrestling on the regular. You are kidding yourselves if you think his wrestling/TDD hasn't improved since Guida.

WHAT!? How? The guy is a gigantic 155er. Doesn't he walk around at like 190? I've wondered how he manages to get down to lightweight. The thought of him at featherweight is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Not sure why Gray would move down. He would be a good fight for Bendo after he picks up a few more wins.
    He probably only needs a couple wins to get another shot. With Frankie likely staying at 145 for the time being I'm sure they will be more willing to give Gray a title shot again.

Problem is I don't think he beats Bendo and runs the risk of burning out his chances at the title with another championship loss.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I think he grinds the shit outta Pettis. Pettis has better chances against Bendo.
    Agree'd. It will basically be Pettis Vs. Guida all over again.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information