+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If UFC champ Jose Aldo moves up in weight, teammate Renan Barao could follow

Default If UFC champ Jose Aldo moves up in weight, teammate Renan Barao could follow

Morning Report: Anderson Silva's manager talks Weidman; Dan Henderson a 2-to-1 underdog to Machida - MMA Fighting

If UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo does indeed make a move to lightweight, current interim bantamweight champ Renan Barao (29-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) could also move up a division.

"I feel very good in this weight division, but I feel in two or three years, if Aldo decides to move up a weight division, I might do that, too," Barao recently told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps).

The 5-foot-7 Barao, best known for his incredible 29-fight win streak, actually debuted for the WEC in June 2010 in a 142-pound catchweight bout. That mark was requested by his opponent, Anthony Leone, who took the fight on short notice. His five fights since have all been at 135 pounds.

But before his time under the Zuffa banner, Barao competed at 145 pounds, and he admits he wouldn't mind doing it again someday in the future.

"I used to fight at 66 kilos (145 pounds), but when we closed the deal with the WEC, our trainer decided that I needed to fight at bantamweight because I would never be champion since Aldo had been there forever," Barao said. "He wanted another champion on the team."

That decision worked out for the best, as Aldo has been a Zuffa champion since 2009. Meanwhile, Barao in 2012 claimed the UFC's interim bantamweight title with a decision win over Urijah Faber.

Of course, a potential move to 145 pounds is completely dependent on Aldo someday making a long-discussed moved to lightweight. The two Nova Uniao fighters are primary training partners and have no desire to ever meet in the cage.

Still, just as Aldo is tiring of cutting to 145 pounds, Barao also says 10 pounds less to cut would be a welcome change.

"Actually, I'm naturally the same weight as Aldo, but I cut more to make weight," Barao said. "I think I would suffer a lot less. I sacrifice a lot by cutting. I'd be able to eat a little better and relax a little more.

"I think the weight cut is what makes me most nervous going into a fight. I get very neurotic. I would be much more relaxed."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I call bull shit I met him and he's tiny ! https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...77976835_n.jpg
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

Why would Aldo bother moving up? All of the LW fighters are moving down to him
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Does anyone know when Cruz is expected back? I think an Interim title shouldn't be defended a second time, at that point it should just become the belt. All that said, I know that Barao is still making his first interim title defense next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    Does anyone know when Cruz is expected back? I think an Interim title shouldn't be defended a second time, at that point it should just become the belt. All that said, I know that Barao is still making his first interim title defense next week.
    Later this year, Augustish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

IMO, the advantages both Aldo and Barao have at their current weight would be marginalized when they start going up against larger weight wrestlers, who will be huge in comparison.

Matchups like Aldo vs. Gray or Bendo or Barao vs. Mendes or Lentz would exemplify why these guys are at lower weights to begin with. Grappling is such a huge part of MMA and I see these guys having difficulty against bigger athletes who will be able to suffocate their attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    IMO, the advantages both Aldo and Barao have at their current weight would be marginalized when they start going up against larger weight wrestlers, who will be huge in comparison.

Matchups like Aldo vs. Gray or Bendo or Barao vs. Mendes or Lentz would exemplify why these guys are at lower weights to begin with. Grappling is such a huge part of MMA and I see these guys having difficulty against bigger athletes who will be able to suffocate their attacks.
    This exactly. You're a smart dude. Haha

Aldo will eventually go up to LW, its just a matter of when...

Fights with Frankie and Pettis have always been dream fights, at either weight...

once/if he beats Pettis, I would like to see him move up then...

We all like Hoaki, KZ, Lamas, etc... but come on now, we all know they cant beat Aldo... especially if Edgar and Pettis cant get it done.

LW has some good fights for Aldo.

As far as Barao goes... Mcdonald and Cruz are cleary the two best BW's out there besides Barao... They are huge fights for him... He can win both, but are very dangerous fights... He hasnt come close to Aldo status as of yet...

sure there are a ton of great fights for him at FW... If he beats Cruz and Mcdonald, then yes... test yourself against the FW's... but thats a way off.

It would be a pretty interesting shake up for the lower divisions if both guys moved up. If Barao beats McDonald, I would still like to see him fight Cruz, and maybe 1 other challenger like Windeland if Cruz isn't back in the next 6 months. After that, if the weight cut is getting hard for him he should go to 145. Aldo, on the other hand, I'd be happy if the Pettis fight is his last at FW.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information