+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Pettis: I Feel Like I Have the Best Striking in MMA

Default Anthony Pettis: I Feel Like I Have the Best Striking in MMA

Anthony Pettis: I Feel Like I Have the Best Striking in MMA

EXCLUSIVE (Part 2) | Anthony Pettis: I Feel Like I Have the Best Striking in MMA | UFC NEWS MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights

“The whole time I was off this guy was pushing my buttons and calling me out. He was saying I was afraid to fight him and that I was a fighter who tried to hide out behind one of my wins. That was not the case, I was really injured. I had surgery on my shoulder, when you have shoulder surgery you really can’t do much, it takes a long time to recover. I had a lot of aggression built up, it kind of sucked that it only lasted about two minutes because I had a lot planned.”

Fans, Pettis and Henderson himself have been clamoring for a rematch between the two former WEC Lightweight Champions since the two met at WEC 53 in what the last bout ever to be contested in a WEC cage. Pettis defeated Henderson by the narrowest of margins, many feel he sealed the victory when he landed the “Showtime” kick in the fifth round. Now that he has dropped to featherweight Henderson-Pettis II will have to wait, but should Bendo defeat Melendez in April and Pettis upset Aldo in August there could be a scenario in which Pettis becomes the second man in UFC history to try and hold two UFC titles simultaneously.

“That would be amazing, that’s something that has never been done before,” said Showtime. “You can’t look past a guy like Jose Aldo. I’m dropping ten pounds and fighting out of my comfort zone. I’m fighting the champion for 25 minutes so if you look at it all the odds are stacked against me. We’ll see what happens, Henderson has to do his thing. I’m sure he will, he should win his fight against Gil. I have my work cut out for me with Aldo. He’s a scary dude, but I feel I have a fighting style that’s hard for a lot of guys to beat.”

Aldo has yet to face a fighter with the stand-up skills comparable to Pettis. For the most part he has faced guys with solid grappling backed up by adequate striking. Mark Hominick probably posed the biggest threat to Aldo on the feet, but it’ll be a whole new ballgame once he steps in there with Pettis.

“I feel like I have one of the best stand-up games in mixed martial arts,” Pettis said confidently. “It’s only getting better, I’m 26-years-old and I’m always learning something new. I’m always adding stuff to my game and evolving as a fighter. I feel like I’m one of the best strikers in MMA, I just need the time to prove it. All these other guys have 25 minute fights while my last two fights were four minutes combined. You haven’t really seen my full potential yet.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

oh yeah? move up to middleweight instead of flyweight and let's test that shit out
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

“I feel like I have one of the best stand-up games in mixed martial arts,” Pettis said confidently. “It’s only getting better, I’m 26-years-old and I’m always learning something new.
    Ohhh MMA journalism. Title makes him sound cocky and delusional, actual statement is a lot less ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

the title is misleading. He didnt say he has the best striking in mma he said this;

“I feel like I have one of the best stand-up games in mixed martial arts,”
    Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    oh yeah? move up to middleweight instead of flyweight and let's test that shit out
    I know you're hinting at AS, but there is a reason weight divisions are in place. Lets have AS go up against JDS and see who wins the stand up battle.

EDIT; would you look at that Anchor and I actually agree on something.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

He does have one of the best though, with potential to become the best without a doubt.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

He definitely is ONE of the best strikers in MMA. Now to start the debate... If he's not the best, who is?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Yeah, then we can have Anderson go fight Dos Santos...

LOL move to MW? Really? Why? He would easily man handle the now actor Anderson Silva and then fake injuries and take a year off in order to dodge Weidman.

I think Petis is a great fighter and I bet he could beat Henderson again. But I see him getting KOd by Aldo. Not taking anything away from Petis, I just think Aldo's stand up is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    He definitely is ONE of the best strikers in MMA. Now to start the debate... If he's not the best, who is?
    Anderson Silva is easily the best striker in MMA.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

In my opinion, besides Anderson Silva, Pettis does have the best stand up in the game. If you look at comparable guys, JDS.. purely boxing no kicks at all. Aldo, cant sustain the pace and his combos still need more work.. jab looks good but needs more then a 1-2 combo. GSP pretty much uses his stand up to set up the takedown now a days. But Pettis can do it all and its going to be crazy to watch him and Aldo fight. Thats probably my favorite fight scheduled so far.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information