Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonnen: Failure is always an option

Default Sonnen: Failure is always an option

Sonnen: Failure is always an option

Sonnen: Failure is always an option - Mixed Martial Arts News

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17 coach Chael Sonnen gave an inspirational speech regarding failure on the most recent episode of TUF 17. Sonnen's speech had many in the mixed martial arts (MMA) community talking and if you happened to miss it, a word-for-word transcription is available below:

"When doubt seeps in you got two roads you can take either road. You can go to the left or you can go to the right and believe me, they'll tell you failure is not an option. That is ridiculous. Failure is always an option. Failure is the most readily available option at all times, but it's a choice. You can choose to fail or you can choose to succeed. And if we can plant seeds and let him know, ‘Move your feet, keep your hands up, stay off the bottom.' That is the road to victory, or self-doubt and negative talk, and that is the road to failure. But failure is always there, and it's okay to recognize that. If I can leave you with anything today, in my long journey through this is, one, it's okay. Two, it's normal. And as athletes and especially as men, as male athletes we hate to admit weakness to ourselves, and when you're dealing with something and you got some kind of a hiccup, yeah, first thing is acknowledge it."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Love him or hate him, he seems like he'sa pretty great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Absolutely, really enjoyed seeing him talking to guys. It was interesting to hear his story about talking to a sports psychologist as well. I've always wanted to see them bring one into TUF, especially with the emotion of the house clearly factoring into performances; maybe this season?

He can talk all he wants. Actions are way more important than words.
    People learn from what they see much more than from what they hear.

This guy is now spreading jewels of knowledge and everyone of you is "Wooow he is a great guy and an awesome coach". Maybe he is good to motivate people.
    But he is a guy that taps and few seconds later he says that he never tapped, he is somebody who used Peds, he is somebody that is a huge corrupt, not to talk that the only way he can get attention is by having a Troll persona.

He can talk anything he wants. He already showed a long time ago who he is.

And if he is a good coach then good, but he is not doing any favour by being a good coach. He is getting paid a lot for being in TUF so he is obligated to be a good coach.
    Not because Rampage or Lesnar were terrible coaches it now means that being a bad coach is the "normal thing". And being a good coach is something "Wooow amazing!!".

He got the most undeserved title shot in MMA history. It is his obligation to be at least a good coach.

Not that what he said is something new. He just stated an obvious thing.

"And if we can plant seeds and let him know, ‘Move your feet, keep your hands up, stay off the bottom.' That is the road to victory, or self-doubt and negative talk, and that is the road to failure."....Pfff You don't say?
    Last edited by Pasha K; 02-09-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    He can talk all he wants. Actions are way more important than words.
    People learn from what they see much more than from what they hear.

This guy is now spreading jewels of knowledge and everyone of you is "Wooow he is a great guy and an awesome coach". Maybe he is good to motivate people.
    But he is a guy that taps and few seconds later he says that he never tapped, he is somebody who used Peds, he is somebody that is a huge corrupt, not to talk that the only way he can get attention is by having a Troll persona.

He can talk anything he wants. He already showed a long time ago who he is.

And if he is a good coach then good, but he is not doing any favour by being a good coach. He is getting paid a lot for being in TUF so he is obligated to be a good coach.
    Not because Rampage or Lesnar were terrible coaches it now means that being a bad coach is the "normal thing". And being a good coach is something "Wooow amazing!!".

He got the most undeserved title shot in MMA history. It is his obligation to be at least a good coach.

Not that what he said is something new. He just stated an obvious thing.

"And if we can plant seeds and let him know, ‘Move your feet, keep your hands up, stay off the bottom.' That is the road to victory, or self-doubt and negative talk, and that is the road to failure."....Pfff You don't say?
    Don't want to get into everything else you said about him, but one thing is undeniable, he has tapped and then denied tapping in more than one fight, 2 come to mind for sure, but there might be a third. That in my book is just plain terrible. I remember Ken Shamrock did that the first time he fought Royce Gracie, but at least he apologized a minute later. If I'm not mistaken Sonnen was still making a thing of it at the press conference after the first Silva fight.

Sonnen admitted to tapping multiple times.

Boohoo Pashak.

What's that award you won?

Stoneskin?

More like femskin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Sonnen admitted to tapping multiple times.

Boohoo Pashak.

What's that award you won?

Stoneskin?

More like femskin.
    It does not matter at all that he admitted that he tapped several hours/days/weeks/months/years later. During the fight he tried to cheat, he tapped and he was saying that he did not.
    Only cowards do that.

As for your femskin and stoneskin stuff, give me the award you want. You just do not like the fact that I am not in this whole "Oooh Sonnen is so funny, he is an awesome coach and a very good guy" little club.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I'm not always a big Sonnen fan, but he's giving some good advice to these fighters, especially a guy like Uriah Hall who could very well be the next big thing in the MW division. could you imagine Hall fighting Anderson Silva with Sonnen in his corner. That would make for a great promotion. Of course I could be getting ahead of myself, he did get beat by two UFC middleweights earlier in his career. but if he can improve and evolve then I can see this guy fighting for the title in 2014 or 2015.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Idk why my phone isnt letting me quote now wtf.

Pashak,

Yea he got an undeserving title shot, boo fucking hoo, you'll never see any kinda title shot in your life. Get the fuck over it, you're still gonna watch the fight and probably tune into the show every week.

OT: I've seen Chael give speeches at different gyms before and he's a great motivational speaker. He looks like he's a very cool and down to earth guy when he's not in "character".

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    It does not matter at all that he admitted that he tapped several hours/days/weeks/months/years later. During the fight he tried to cheat, he tapped and he was saying that he did not.
    Only cowards do that.
    Actually it's rare to find a fight now a days where someone isn't trying to cheat. Sonnen is far from the only one that does it. So a lot of fighters are cowards by your book.

Sports in general everyone is always trying to find that little extra to win even if it includes breaking the rules.

Thread Information