Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonnen: Jon Jones is a ‘considerably better' fighter than Anderson Silva

Default Sonnen: Jon Jones is a ‘considerably better' fighter than Anderson Silva

Sonnen: Jon Jones is a ‘considerably better' fighter than Anderson Silva

Chael Sonnen: Jon Jones is a ?considerably better' fighter than Anderson Silva - MMAmania.com

Chael Sonnen has come out and paid his future opponent Jon Jones quite the compliment, saying "Bones" is a "considerably better" fighter than Anderson Silva, a man who has defeated Sonnen twice and who many consider to be the greatest mixed martial artists in the world today.
    "I think there's a big gap between them," Sonnen said in an interview with Jay Mohr on FOX Sports Radio. "I think that Jon Jones is considerably better, I think he's the best talent our sport has ever seen."
    "Jon comes out there with something new every time," he said. "Some trick that it appears he's making up. Stuff I've never seen."
    "I am 100 percent offense and from the second the referee says, ‘Go.' I will. I will come across and I will bring the fight to him," Sonnen said. "I may go down, he's a good fighter I may go down, but I promise you I will go like a gangster and I will be firing the entire time."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Only thing "considerably better" is his wrestling. Just Sonnen trying to sell his fight even more. With that "I may go down" mentality, he already lost the mental aspect of this fight imo.

Jones isn't 25% of the fighter Silva is. Without his athleticism and size, Jones wouldn't be a top 10.

If Chael really believes that, why is he fighting Jones considering he lost to Silva twice.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I love when people say things like, "without their size" they wouldn't be good (talking to y2jubae). That is a part of the sport. Kinda like someone saying, "if usain bolt wasn't so fast he wouldn't have won a gold medal." A large part of sports is your athletic acumen, right? If Anderson Silva wasn't so fast and precise he wouldn't be a champion.

Little bit different citing physical characteristics as opposed to intangible characteristics, or skills.

Can't really liken an 84" reach to running fast or striking accurately. 2 out of 3 are abilities; refined skills. The other is simply a physical trait that one has regardless of skills or abilities.

No doubt Jon's physical makeup plays a part in his wins, but it's unfair to say he only wins because of it.

Faulting him for his athleticism (influenced as it may be by his size) is silly.

"If he wasn't athletic and physically gifted, he wouldn't win."

He also probably wouldn't be fighting in MMA for a career.
    Last edited by Leucoethiops; 02-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I love when people say things like, "without their size" they wouldn't be good (talking to y2jubae). That is a part of the sport. Kinda like someone saying, "if usain bolt wasn't so fast he wouldn't have won a gold medal." A large part of sports is your athletic acumen, right? If Anderson Silva wasn't so fast and precise he wouldn't be a champion.
    this sums up exactly what i was going to say, rep to you good sir

I prefer to just stick to the facts and compare how both of them have been beating their opponents. Anderson finished Vitor with 1 offensive strike and made Bonnar look stupid. Jon Jones struggled against both of them and almost got submitted by Vitor.

Anderson Silva has a better highlite reel of finishes and most of them come before the end of the 2nd round. Jon Jones is good and yes his size does have an impact on his fights and I dont think anyone is foolish enough to dispute Jones' obvious size and reach advantage which dwarfs most of his competition.

Silva has also fought outside of his weightclass and remained just as dominant. Could Jon Jones be just as dominant against someone his size? How would Jon Jones do against Bigfoot, Nog, or any fighter in top 5 where he looses his physical advantage?

Will Jon Jones be able to perform like AS does at the age of 38? Will he be a champion by the time? There are too many unanswered questions to even entertain Sonnen's opinion which has proven to be categorically incorrect in the past anyways.

Just about everytime Sonnen has claimed someone was going to win they ended up getting their ass handed to them. I would take Chael's little opinion with a grain of salt.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Not to brag or anything, but the ONLY thing keeping me from athletic accolades is my lack of natural ability.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

And Anderson is a better fighter than Chael...

Jones is also a "considerably better" fighter than Sonnen...

Im starting to dislike Chael less, but he needs to quit taking pot shots at Anderson...

I wouldnt mind seeing Sonnen vs. Anderson one last time before its all said and done for both of them... Not anytime soon as their are a ton of more important fights for Anderson... but a good fight when he is at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Agree...

Some fighters also have the ability to get hit with shot after shot, eat them without a problem... land one shot and end the fight... That is how the fight game is...

we can break down fighters skills and look at their entire game... but its always funny to see fans point out certain top fighters saying "they wouldnt be anything without _____" All the top fighters fall into that category... thats how profession sports are.

Quote Originally Posted by Leucoethiops View Post
    Little bit different citing physical characteristics as opposed to intangible characteristics, or skills.

Can't really liken an 84" reach to running fast or striking accurately. 2 out of 3 are abilities; refined skills. The other is simply a physical trait that one has regardless of skills or abilities.

No doubt Jon's physical makeup plays a part in his wins, but it's unfair to say he only wins because of it.

Faulting him for his athleticism (influenced as it may be by his size) is silly.

"If he wasn't athletic and physically gifted, he wouldn't win."

He also probably wouldn't be fighting in MMA for a career.
    I get what you are saying... and agree with you in a small way...

certain things like power, speed, reflexes, explosiveness, cardio, etc can be improved... but everybody has a ceiling... Top fighters and athletes we see typically take all the steps necessary and get the proper training to where they reach their ceilings and see their limitations. While many physical aspects cannot be changed at all...

you could train your reflexes all you want but 99% of people arent getting anywhere near someone like Anderson or RJJ...

you can train to improve your explosiveness but never reach the level of someone like GSP....

you can improve your cardio all you want, but wont get to a level like someone like Cain, Diaz, etc.

so yes, no matter what you do, you cant get an 84'in reach... but the same can be said about other aspects.
    Last edited by Kimbo> Rampage; 02-10-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Resume's>>>>>Peoples definition of better fighter.

Fuck all the talk about size advantages, the resume is all that matters. As of now, I would say that Silva's resume is head an shoulders above Jones. However, I can definitely see Jones surpassing Silva one day.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Thread Information