Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USA Today: Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on Fox 7

Default USA Today: Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on Fox 7

USA TODAY: Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on FOX 7 | News

With officials unable to find a replacement for injured opponent Manny Gamburyan, Chad Mendes has been pulled from the Feb. 23 UFC 157 event altogether.

But the former title challenger is getting what is arguably a bigger fight when Mendes (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) meets fellow featherweight Clay Guida (30-13 MMA, 10-7 UFC) at UFC on FOX 7 on April 20, UFC President Dana White confirmed with USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) on Monday.

The event takes place at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. Mendes vs. Guida could be one of four fights featured on the network-televised main card, which follows prelims on FX and Facebook.

Since a failed title shot with champion Jose Aldo in early 2012, Mendes has posted back-to-back knockout wins over Cody McKenzie and Yaotzin Meza to put the division on notice. According to Mendes' manager, Mike Roberts, it's not surprising UFC officials couldn't find a replacement to keep him on the UFC 157 card.

"There's not a huge line of people that want to fight Chad, especially on two weeks' (notice)," he said. "But Chad is the best – if not, the second best – guy in that weight division, period. Chad's not going to turn anybody down. He believes he can beat anybody."

He'll get that opportunity against Guida, who has the same strengths (wrestling and cardio) as Mendes. The former lightweight recently made the drop to featherweight and suffered a split-decision loss to perennial contender Gray Maynard. However, the high-energy Guida rebounded in January and edged Hatsu Hioki via split decision.

In addition to Mendes vs. Guida, UFC on FOX 7 also features a previously announced headliner of lightweight champ Benson Henderson (18-2, 6-0) vs. Strikeforce import Gilbert Melendez (21-2, 0-0). Heavyweights Frank Mir (16-6, 14-6) and Daniel Cormier (11-0, 0-0) meet in the co-headliner.

The latest UFC on FOX 7 card includes:
    Champ Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez - for lightweight title
    Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir
    Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson
    Matt Brown vs. Dan Hardy
    Clay Guida vs. Chad Mendes
    Roger Bowling vs. Anthony Njokuani
    Jorge Masvidal vs. Tim Means
    Myles Jury vs. Ramsey Nijem
    Clifford Starks vs. Yoel Romero
    Norman Parke vs. Jon Tuck
    This card keeps getting thicker. I'm not well schooled in the field of wrestling--does Mendes have the chops to stay off his back against Guida? He looks to have the power to hurt somebody on the feet, but how's his ability to avoid takedowns?

After Clays fights against Gray and Hioki i've not been liking him as much as I used to, anyone else feel the same?

Hope 'Money' takes it. (I only say that 'cause I wanted Hioki to win and he was actually trying to win instead of grind out a decision. Plus he's from Northern California)
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

Sick fight. Go $$
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I still like Clay. I actually had him winking against Gray. With that said, I've been nothing short of impressed with Mendes and I see him taking this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Mendes is beastly and Guida looked pisspoor against Hioki. Mendes is the guy to beat at FW to get a title shot(if you considerZombie/Lamas is a likely matchup for the #1 contendershup).

Mendes will bring an equally sick pace and IMO, has the superior wrestling with alot of power for 145.

I'll take Mendes.

Oh man, close decision written all over the wall here lol..

Great fight though, can't wait.. Maybe Mendes can use that KO power we've been seeing lately and maybe put Guida away or hurt him.. All the potential for FOTN.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by NAL987 View Post
    After Clays fights against Gray and Hioki i've not been liking him as much as I used to, anyone else feel the same?

Hope 'Money' takes it. (I only say that 'cause I wanted Hioki to win and he was actually trying to win instead of grind out a decision. Plus he's from Northern California)
    I have never liked guida. His only exciting fights are the ones where he gets beat up, I'm being completely serious, the only reason people think he is exciting is because he makes an entertaining punching bag.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I have never liked guida. His only exciting fights are the ones where he gets beat up, I'm being completely serious, the only reason people think he is exciting is because he makes an entertaining punching bag.
    That's how I always saw it too. It's his heart and energy in his losses that have made him "exciting" (such as his fights with Diego and Bendo). In his wins, he largely just takes you down and stays there without advancing, although his wild hair on top makes it look like he is (e.g., his wins against Diaz, Danzig, Pettis, Hioki). This is not to say that he has actually had some good showings (e.g., his wins against Gugerty and Gomi), but largely this is what he does.

I think Mendes beats him up like Bendo.

Clay Guida has the most exciting fights of any fighter in the UFC.........wait fot it.......when he's getting his ass beat. I think $$ will be too fast and have too good of wrestling to allow Guida to do what he did in the Maynard/ Hioki fights and this will be another exciting Guida fight And no fucking way did Maynard lose that fight to CG.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Bad match up for clay, I see mendes ending it in devastating fashion.

Thread Information