Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold to headline UFC event in Brazil

Default Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold to headline UFC event in Brazil

LONDON – Final Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) and fellow UFC contender Vitor Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) will headline a major UFC event in Brazil.

UFC President Dana White today confirmed the plans while in London.

A date and venue have not been determined for the fight, White said, though the event is expected to take place in April or May.

The fight, which could be an installment of the UFC on FX event series, is likely to determine a No. 1 contender.

Rockhold, who's been nursing a shoulder injury, hasn't fought since July, when he successfully defended his Strikeforce belt with a unanimous-decision victory over Tim Kennedy. It was his second title defense (he also knocked out Keith Jardine) following his September 2011 title win over Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. The American Kickboxing Academy fighter, who campaigned for the Belfort fight in recent weeks, now owns a nine-fight win streak with seven stoppages.

Belfort, meanwhile, most recently scored a TKO victory over Michael Bisping in the headliner of UFC on FX 7 in January. The victory, which moved Belfort to 3-1 in his past four fights, actually spoiled Bisping's promised title shot. After the fight, though, Belfort campaigned for a rematch with light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who submitted the Brazilian in September, rather than middleweight champ Anderson Silva, who knocked him out in 2011. However, he'll remain in the 185-pound division for now.

Belfort was granted use of testosterone-replacement therapy for the January bout, but he didn't fail a post-fight drug test, as was widely rumored. With no lingering injuries from the Bisping fight, he'll face a fairly quick turnaround time for the Rockhold meeting.
    Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold to headline UFC event in Brazil | News

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

has the new season of TUF- Brazil started? I figured big nog/ werdum would be the next brazil headliner

I actually like this fight if Anderson will play ball and fight Weidman in the meantime.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I actually like this fight if Anderson will play ball and fight Weidman in the meantime.
    Not so fast! There's still Cung Le to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Not so fast! There's still Cung Le to consider.
    I still find it funny that Anderson's team named Cung Le as a potential challenger, even Cung Le himself was a bit taken back.

This makes me happy, goodnight Luke

good fight even if champ vs champ would be a little more fair to Luke, but i guess he asked for it...wtvr
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

works on several levels. rockhold's metal as a champion is being tested more here than with anyone else short of silva, sonnen or weidman. i'd have no problem with rockhold getting a title shot if he beats belfort convincingly.

so anderson plays ball and fights weidman, we have a new challenger right out of the gate, and stann and wandy beat each other up. we have the MW division locked down for 8 months.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I still find it funny that Anderson's team named Cung Le as a potential challenger, even Cung Le himself was a bit taken back.
    Come on now, you know Anderson likes calling out people that don't deserve title shots and names arent Weidman.

Anyway, I'm taking Vitor in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I really hope people don't sleep on Rockhold here. His movement and ability to roll with punches make him a difficult for the forward-moving Vitor
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information