Thread: White: No plans to strip Cruz of title unless he retires

Default White: No plans to strip Cruz of title unless he retires

White: No plans to strip Cruz of title unless he retires - Mixed Martial Arts News

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has not fought since November of 2011. Although he recently underwent knee surgery, and his return is indefinite, the UFC has no intention of stripping him of his belt.

"If he starts training again and gets another injury that's going to take him out for a year – and I hate to even say this about the kid since he's a really good kid – but he should seriously probably look at retiring," said UFC president Dana White. "But I'm not taking something like [the title] from somebody."

"If he starts training again and gets another injury that's going to take him out for a year – and I hate to even say this about the kid since he's a really good kid – but he should seriously probably look at retiring," White said. "But I'm not taking something like [the title] from somebody.

"The way that it works in the fight business is you beat the man who beat the man. Obviously, though, if he had to retire, then [the interim titleholder] would automatically become the champion."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Lets have a interim belt and then the winner can wait 2yrs to defend it!

9 months without defending the title= interim champ is crowned

18 months without defending the title= the champ is stripped and the interim champ becomes the champ, but when the former champ returns he gets an immediate title shot

If another year passes before the former champ returns, then I don't even think they should get an immediate title shot.

This is obviously just my opinion, but I think it is more than fair.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post

18 months without defending the title= the champ is stripped and the interim champ becomes the champ, but when the former champ returns he gets an immediate title shot

If another year passes before the former champ returns, then I don't even think they should get an immediate title shot.

If it wasn't Cruz then I would understand. But he's defended the belt 4 times after winning it. With all of those fights against the best in the division. If he were able to come back and defend it again, then he would cement himself in history as one of the best fighters (atleast IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post

I think this is fair for every champ.

If there out for that long(2years+) that they need to tak another fight, it should be against a top contender, and if they're really good enough they should beat that contender and get another title shot.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Thread Information