Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Would Move to Welterweight to Challenge Georges St-Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    Dammit you got me again... you are so good at this!

I'm curious though, how do you define clearing out a division? Is that when you are literally the only fighter in that division? Do you actually have to kill the other fighters? If holding the belt for 7 years and having only one of your fights actually look challenging isn't clearing out a division, then I don't know what is...

There, I kept it short and simple for you.
    In my opinion, as long as other fighters are still putting together win streaks, you can't clear out a division.

Dammit you got me again... you are so good at this!

I'm curious though, how do you define clearing out a division? Is that when you are literally the only fighter in that division? Do you actually have to kill the other fighters? If holding the belt for 7 years and having only one of your fights actually look challenging isn't clearing out a division, then I don't know what is...

There, I kept it short and simple for you.
    You hit the nail right on the head.

You don't know what clearing out a division is.

Most people consider a division "cleared out" when a fighter has beaten anyone who is ranked top 10 and is on a streak.

It's a bit more difficult to do that when a champ has been defending about once a year for the last few years, allowing newer fighters to come into contention. Of course, if that champ has an active PR campaign and legions of clueless fans, it's easy for his management to spread misinformation that nobody is worthy of fighting him, and then the mopes will consider a division cleared out when it isn't.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    You hit the nail right on the head.

You don't know what clearing out a division is.

Most people consider a division "cleared out" when a fighter has beaten anyone who is ranked top 10 and is on a streak.

It's a bit more difficult to do that when a champ has been defending about once a year for the last few years, allowing newer fighters to come into contention. Of course, if that champ has an active PR campaign and legions of clueless fans, it's easy for his management to spread misinformation that nobody is worthy of fighting him, and then the mopes will consider a division cleared out when it isn't.

rh

Beaten anyone who is top 10. So if the champ defends the belt 3 times a year (which is pretty hard to keep that average) it would take 3 years and 4 months to clear out a division. But lets face it, the chances of that top 10 list changing in those 3 years and four months (already an impossible time frame to defend the title 10 times lol) is pretty much a guarantee. So what that means is that realistically speaking, your answer to my question should be, it is impossible to clear out a division. Which is fine, you can have that opinion, but if that's what you think then just say that. Instead you try to define it but you make it an impossible feat.

For the most part, I agree. It's hard to argue with the statement, "A champion must defend his belt". And if the plan for Silva at some point is to fight GSP followed by JBJ without a title defense in the middle, then I would be the first one to say that he should give up his belt. However, in my book, in my definition of clearing out a division, he has cleared out the MW division, which to me makes it OK for him to seek challenges outside of his division, against a WW who is the number 2 p4p fighter in the world and then a lhw who is ranked the number 3 p4p in the world.

dumbass, your reading comprehension has not improved. Read my criteria a bit more carefully this time. I've taken the liberty of making the integral part you missed bold this time.

Then I made it bigger, because I think you'd miss it.

OK, you got it? Clarity is a bitch sometimes, innit?

Now...read your ignorant crap-assed response, punch yourself in the face, and throw your keyboard in the trash where it belongs.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

dumbass, your reading comprehension has not improved. Read my criteria a bit more carefully this time. I've taken the liberty of making the integral part you missed bold this time.

Then I made it bigger, because I think you'd miss it.

OK, you got it? Clarity is a bitch sometimes, innit?

Now...read your ignorant crap-assed response, punch yourself in the face, and throw your keyboard in the trash where it belongs.

rh
    OH that makes it way easier to clear out a division then! Since the top 10 list is usually full of guys on losing streaks lol.

Has anyone ever cleared out a division?

That's a pretty straight forward question.

OH that makes it way easier to clear out a division then! Since the top 10 list is usually full of guys on losing streaks lol.

Name one other sport ever where the champion/champions have just stopped defending the title because they were so dominate, and they got to keep the title?
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

7. Default

Look, I'm not going to flame you, because I honestly think you just don't know any better. It is damn near impossible to clear out a division. But even if you are able to clear a division out, in no time at all, it would have filled up again.

ALSO, your logic stating that "he has cleared out the MW division, which to me makes it OK for him to seek challenges outside of his division" has a small flaw. Shouldn't the other champions have cleared out their own divisions before accepting said superfight?

Possible contenders in GSP's immediate future are Hendricks and Maia.
    Possible contenders in Jones' immediate future are Hendo/Machida winner and the Mousasi/Gustafsson winner.

And you think in all that time, Anderson's division won't have more established contenders emerging? Weidman is up on deck, Lombard is starting to re-state his case, and Vitor has clawed his way back to the top of that contender's list as well.

That's why the "cleared out division" argument is just plain stupid.

rh
    ------------------

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

I'm not defending Georges. The fact that he's facing Diaz instead of Hendricks is reprehensible. But it's still not as bad as coming out and stating "I have no intention of facing" him.

Well, to be fair, you are indeed a fucking idiot. You prove this every time you type.
    You talk about comprehension?

Anderson said he would fight Weidman... Dana, Soares, and Silva all said that Anderson fights who ever the UFC wants him to... Dana said Anderson never refused to fight anyone.... What part about that do you not get?

just because Anderson said he wasnt interested fighting Weidman doesnt mean he wont fight him... His history with opponents should tell you that... along with his camp coming out saying they arent ducking weidwan... as well as Dana saying that Anderson will fight who the UFC wants.

What about that do you not get? Yet you like to call out a champion behind a keyboard, question his heart, etc...

Yet call other people trolls.
    But you're still trying to compare situations that don't apply at all. If Anderson had any chance at all of facing anyone other than the #1 contender, he'd have taken it.
    Again, another attack on him... You are the one acting like a troll.

Have I ever said that Anderson declined a fight with Weidman? Then why bring it up? Over and over, as though it means something?

So Anderson never flat out declined to fight Weidman, and you feel its ok to say everything you said?...

Going off on a top fighter all the time, with a lot of assumptions on your part... then calling others trolls who try and defend him with legitimate reasoning...

Who knows maybe you are right, but it seems very childish to act the way you do without knowing everything that is really going on.

your a clown

Clearly out a division is an increasingly difficult thing as the sport matures; and that's expected. Though, as one example, if Jones hadn't stopped to film TUF and wasn't fighting Vitor and Sonnen, he very well may have cleared out his division by the end of 2013.

The MW division currently has a lot of ranked guys coming off a recent loss: Boetsch, Bisping, and Belcher, respectively. That's one of the reason's Weidman is a frontrunner again, despite not being a huge draw. It doesn't have to be a losing streak, but one loss derails can derail a run...particularly if the run wasn't very spectacular, like Bisping's. One loss would completely de-legitimize Weidman for a couple years, for instance.

One of soares' tactics is to try to have all the ranked fighters face each for the privilege of facing Anderson, but that work as a sustainable model. You get infrequent title defenses, and then nobody legitimate on the horizon for the next challenge.

Georges and Anderson both did a pretty close job of it back at their peaks, but there is a great new crop of fighters that have come back into the mix. If Anderson would defend 3 times in the next two years, he'd be close to doing it again. Assuming he keeps winning, which isn't too far of a stretch of the imagination.

I look at it this way...if Anderson beats Weidman and then Rockhold by the end of this year, it gives time for one of the guys with a loss to get back in the mix. Belfort could do it soonest, but Boetsch, Bisping or Belcher are only two or three good wins behind him.

Liddell and Hughes made a great run at it as well. When you start seeing dominant champs bringing back guys who they've lost to in the past because there isn't any other viable challenges, it's a great indication that they've come close to clearing out the division.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 02-16-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information