Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Would Move to Welterweight to Challenge Georges St-Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    GSP has did it once (which is still bullshit) and fights far more regularly than Silva. If you want to respect Silva's skills then cool, but you can't honestly say that as a fan of MMA that you respect this behavior. I love GSP, but like I said not fighting the number one contender is bullshit. What if Rich Franklin didn't want to face the no name with 1 UFC fight? What if Hughes bitched about fighting GSP? What if Hughes didn't want to rematch a guy that he had already finished in the first round? It is disrespectful to the sport and the former champions to not face the guy who deserves the title shot the most. So come on man, I get trying to make more money, and I get you defending your guy, but just admit that it isn't right. Please?
    I don't see anything disrespectful about having an opinion on whom you would like to fight next. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter per Dana they will fight whom they are told to fight.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I just love how Anderson doesn't want to fight Weidman now nor do we know when he will want to and he is looking for a superfight. But this fight is with the champ of the weight class below him at a weight he has never fought at and with a much smaller fighter. He has an ever bigger superfight with the weight class above him at a weight he has fought at 3 times and won all 3 times in convincing fashion and against a fighter who is undefeated and a win against him would certainly cement his legacy.... but he has not interest in this. This all makes perfect logical sense...
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I catagorically disagree with that assessment.

The concept of p4p was literally established to discuss skillsets independent of relative size advantages, and using pure skill to overcome someone with Jones' length would do more to actually cement Silva's p4p status than anything he's ever done in his career.

But again, you're welcome to your opinion, I expected as much.

rh
    "would do more to actually cement Silva's p4p status than anything he's ever done in his career." Statements like this are the ones that always make me wonder. It's very subtle, but it always makes it seem like Silva hasn't quite done enough yet, its always his next challenge that is going to set him as the number 1.

Also, I get the argument for the JJ fight. I want to see it too, as much as the next guy. What I don't understand is not wanting to watch the GSP fight first. We can have them all haha... why settle for one?

The point I was making about JBJ is that, once (if (Im betting he will)) he makes it past Sonnen, I think both Machida and Hendo pose a great threat to him. So I just want to be sure that he can actually clear that one extra title defense before Silva fights him. If one of those two guys beats JBJ, that would take away a lot of the importance of Silva beating him too.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    I don't see anything disrespectful about having an opinion on whom you would like to fight next. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter per Dana they will fight whom they are told to fight.
    It's absolutely disrespectful when the implication is that one person doesn't deserve the fight. Something like Anderson himself said "I'm not a fool, I don't want to fight him" isn't disrespectful, but the nonsense that soares spits on his behalf--and that Anderson allows him to spew unchecked--is often very disrespectful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    "would do more to actually cement Silva's p4p status than anything he's ever done in his career." Statements like this are the ones that always make me wonder. It's very subtle, but it always makes it seem like Silva hasn't quite done enough yet, its always his next challenge that is going to set him as the number 1.
    Well, I'd counter that statements like yours, offended on his behalf, imply that he's couldn't possibly build on his legacy, he's done it all already. He's won the MMA's, everybody, he's the GOAT!

Conversely, that nonsense is not subtle at all, and one of the reasons I actually strive to bring an bit of perspective back to the discussion.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

5. Default

Wait, what?

Jones is currently considered the kingpin at 205. No one thinks he's had an easy path, he's been lucky, or grossly overrated. If Silva were to beat him now, it would be the biggest feather in his cap. Any subsequent losses by Jones after, would largely be attributed to Silva having broken him or his aura.

How can you be more worried about Jones losing AFTER he fights Silva, rather than before he fights Silva?

If Jones vs Silva was announced tomorrow, that would probably go down as the biggest fight in MMA history. Despite their weight-classes not being cleared, the magnitude of the fight would be enough of an excuse. Silva's skillset of striking/BJJ would match up well with Jones' flashy range strikes/wrestling.

GSP/Silva on the other hand, despite also being a huge historic fight wouldn't carry the same weight because A) Georges has been finished twice in his career already, B)Georges isn't actively chasing the Silva fight, and C)GSP would be the huge underdog since his wrestling would be harder to implement on a much larger opponent, who has top notch BJJ, and because fights start out standing (which favors Silva).

If Silva wants to shirk his duties as MW champion, he should relinquish the title, and then seek his vanity fights. And if you are going to give up the MW title to "cement your legacy", then you might as well go after the biggest challenge out there.

And that is a fight with the bigger, "unbeaten", champion who already finished your fellow Brazilian friends.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Wait, what?

Jones is currently considered the kingpin at 205. No one thinks he's had an easy path, he's been lucky, or grossly overrated. If Silva were to beat him now, it would be the biggest feather in his cap. Any subsequent losses by Jones after, would largely be attributed to Silva having broken him or his aura.

How can you be more worried about Jones losing AFTER he fights Silva, rather than before he fights Silva?

If Jones vs Silva was announced tomorrow, that would probably go down as the biggest fight in MMA history. Despite their weight-classes not being cleared, the magnitude of the fight would be enough of an excuse. Silva's skillset of striking/BJJ would match up well with Jones' flashy range strikes/wrestling.

GSP/Silva on the other hand, despite also being a huge historic fight wouldn't carry the same weight because A) Georges has been finished twice in his career already, B)Georges isn't actively chasing the Silva fight, and C)GSP would be the huge underdog since his wrestling would be harder to implement on a much larger opponent, who has top notch BJJ, and because fights start out standing (which favors Silva).

If Silva wants to shirk his duties as MW champion, he should relinquish the title, and then seek his vanity fights. And if you are going to give up the MW title to "cement your legacy", then you might as well go after the biggest challenge out there.

And that is a fight with the bigger, "unbeaten", champion who already finished your fellow Brazilian friends.
    Just to clarify, I was saying that I want to see JBJ beat the winner of Dan/Lyoto first in order for me to be truly convinced that he really can't be beat in that division. Because, if he gets beat by Dan/Lyoto, then I would not really care as much for the Silva/JBJ fight. And as of right now, Im not really convinced that he can easily beat one of those 2.

Granted I think he beats them, but not nearly by as much a margin as I see Silva beating Weidman and GSP beating Hendricks/Diaz.

Considering Anderson's coach said it would be a crime for Anderson to have to fight GSP at 170 ... I have a hard time even entertaining the idea until I hear Anderson speak it.

Too many post to quote but shouldn't we wait until Anderson's next fight is booked before we get pissed and call him out for ducking Weidman? It's not like the he could have fought him in the mean time since Weidman has been injured. I'm blown away that people still get so worked up over the stuff Silva's camp says. I think it's bs if he doesn't fight Weidman next but I don't understand how so many people get worked up about something that hasn't even happened yet.
    Last edited by Ashy Larry; 02-19-2013 at 04:57 AM. Reason: I said the same thing twice

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Actually, Silva said he wasn't going to fight anymore in 2012, so Weidman had elective surgery. Then Silva decided he wanted to fight again, so he took on Bonnar. Weidman didn't get injured until he started training for Boetsch...

So yes... he could have fought Weidman before, but chose not to.
    Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Silva take that fight on short notice to save a huge main event that fell short in Rio? Aldo v Edgar. The co-main of that card was Nogueira v Herman, which I don't think held enough weight to carry that card.

Maybe it wasn't your intention, but it really sounds like you are implying that Silva said he didn't want to fight to dodge Weidman, then when he became unavailable, Silva came out of the bunker he was hiding in (from Wiedman) and asked for a fight.

How can someone get crap for taking a fight on short notice to save a huge card in his home country? The dude fought a massive LHW and came in at 203.

Thread Information