Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Would Move to Welterweight to Challenge Georges St-Pierre

Anderson is fighting GSP next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Silva take that fight on short notice to save a huge main event that fell short in Rio?
    Yes, he did. It was announced just over a month out.

Maybe it wasn't your intention, but it really sounds like you are implying that Silva said he didn't want to fight to dodge Weidman, then when he became unavailable, Silva came out of the bunker he was hiding in (from Wiedman) and asked for a fight.
    So, you're accusing someone of implying something...but then you tack on a bunch of nonsense that you're assuming? Does that make sense to you?

Go back and look at what he actually said.

Ashylarry stated "It's not like the he could have fought him in the mean time since Weidman has been injured."

H0SS then stated that he could have, but chose not to.

Could Anderson have fought Weidman?

Yes, absolutely. The only term in question is whether his choices had any influence on it happening or not.

You can state that he was never offered the fight, and you'd be correct.

But you could also say Anderson chose not to encourage the fight--as many champions do, hyping the bout even before the agreement is signed--and you'd be just as correct. You can also validly question many of his actions and statements--both his personally, and what he allowed people to work for him to do--that cast a negative pall on the potential fights.

Its a matter of perspective, and you don't need to agree with someone who has a different view.

If you're someone whose definition of "ducking" entails that the fighter needs to be offered a bout agreement and refuses to sign it, then you are 100% convinced that it's not ducking.

If you're someone who feels simply feels the champion has an obligation to face the #1 contender as soon as possible--or at the very least on a regular schedule--then you're just as convinced that he's ducking Chris.

Anderson hasn't helped dismiss that concept: he's gone back on his word repeatedly, he's offered to fight at least 5 different fighters other than the #1 contender, and he's come out and said [more than once ] that he "has no intention of facing" #1 contender because he's "not a fool."

It's pretty simple, it's differing philosophies. You don't have to agree with it, anymore than anyone has to agree with you.

Me, I just want to see him defend against a valid MW contender before July. I'd love to see him be enthusiastic about facing the best challenge available in his class, but that's not going to happen.

How can someone get crap for taking a fight on short notice to save a huge card in his home country? The dude fought a massive LHW and came in at 203.
    He's not getting crap for taking a fight with Bonnar.

He's getting crap for not defending, and flipflopping around instead.

There is a huge difference, that you're apparently unable to see: You think the fight with Bonnar erases concerns, others think the fight with Bonnar actually adds to them.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 02-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Maybe Anderson just wanted a vacation to spend time at home?

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Wait, what?

Jones is currently considered the kingpin at 205. No one thinks he's had an easy path, he's been lucky, or grossly overrated. If Silva were to beat him now, it would be the biggest feather in his cap. Any subsequent losses by Jones after, would largely be attributed to Silva having broken him or his aura.

How can you be more worried about Jones losing AFTER he fights Silva, rather than before he fights Silva?

If Jones vs Silva was announced tomorrow, that would probably go down as the biggest fight in MMA history. Despite their weight-classes not being cleared, the magnitude of the fight would be enough of an excuse. Silva's skillset of striking/BJJ would match up well with Jones' flashy range strikes/wrestling.

GSP/Silva on the other hand, despite also being a huge historic fight wouldn't carry the same weight because A) Georges has been finished twice in his career already, B)Georges isn't actively chasing the Silva fight, and C)GSP would be the huge underdog since his wrestling would be harder to implement on a much larger opponent, who has top notch BJJ, and because fights start out standing (which favors Silva).

If Silva wants to shirk his duties as MW champion, he should relinquish the title, and then seek his vanity fights. And if you are going to give up the MW title to "cement your legacy", then you might as well go after the biggest challenge out there.

And that is a fight with the bigger, "unbeaten", champion who already finished your fellow Brazilian friends.
    What? where are you getting that from. Anderson fights who the UFC wants him to fight... He would obviously be stripped of his belt if he refused to defend it, as with ANY champion... He doesnt make the fights...

He defended it in July and then saved a card in November, helping the UFC out in a huge way... Its not like they turned around right after than and immediately demanded he defend his title.

All these haters wanted him to defend his title ASAP, yet only against Weidman... When at the time after the Bonner fight... Chris was put in a fight against Boetch and got injured... wont be able to come back until July... Everyone scoffed at all the other options like Rockhold or Bisping.

And as far as GSP goes... He is always in the GOAT and P4P discussions along with Anderson... You want Anderson to go after the bigger champion/ bigger challenge but not GSP as well...

Dana and Anderson both eluded to both fights happening... GSP vs. Silva clearly making more sense to happen first.

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Actually, Silva said he wasn't going to fight anymore in 2012, so Weidman had elective surgery. Then Silva decided he wanted to fight again, so he took on Bonnar. Weidman didn't get injured until he started training for Boetsch...

So yes... he could have fought Weidman before, but chose not to.
    Was he ever offered the fight?

He could have also fought Rousey, Cain, Mighty Mouse or even the Great Mark Munoz in theory as well. Didnt hear about him getting a fight contract sent to him for the Weidman fight, and his camp turning it down.

Chris beat Munoz 4 days after Anderson beat Sonnen... Then early fall Chris decides to get surgery on a nagging injury....

Anderson saves a card in Brazil, while Chris himself was not even available...

then Chris gets booked to fight Boetch, because Anderson will have just fought by the time Chris is good to go, then Chris gets injured in that camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Silva take that fight on short notice to save a huge main event that fell short in Rio? Aldo v Edgar. The co-main of that card was Nogueira v Herman, which I don't think held enough weight to carry that card.

Maybe it wasn't your intention, but it really sounds like you are implying that Silva said he didn't want to fight to dodge Weidman, then when he became unavailable, Silva came out of the bunker he was hiding in (from Wiedman) and asked for a fight.

How can someone get crap for taking a fight on short notice to save a huge card in his home country? The dude fought a massive LHW and came in at 203.
    Thats exactly what he was going for...

It was funny because just before that Jones gets pissed on for not taking the Sonnen fight... Then Anderson does the UFC a huge solid by fighting on that card, and gets called out as if he was waiting for Weidman to get surgery then jump on any old fight, its really funny how much they reach...

Fighting in Brazil clearly meant a lot to Anderson, thats why he jumped on the card. Jose and Rampage, the 2 bigger name sells on that card both got injured... And Anderson and Big Nog jumped in on short notice.

Its also of note how there have been several rumors of Anderson wanting the Weidman fight to take place in Brazil... Meaning he is willing to take the fight and in negotiations with the UFC... I dont know why Dana shut down that idea so quickly... Anderson didnt get to fight Chael there.

H0SS, Anderson can't possibly be even remotely considered to be ducking unless he's actually offered a bout agreement and he refuses. That's apparently the definition his fans want cast into stone.

Please don't question his heart in not wanting to fight the #1 contender.
    Please refrain from daring to imply anything in your posts that can't be backed up by him actually refusing a contract.

Anything else makes fanboys sad.

It also makes them repeat themselves, over and over, desperate for their man-love dreams to be the only possible valid interpretion of a messy situation.

EDIT: For the record H0SS, it's totally OK for you to question Georges for fighting Diaz over Hendricks. That's not a violation and won't raise a peep from the AndyFanboyFunParade. Just don't say anything that isn't overtly positive about the greatest-of-all-greatesteses, or the whining will never stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo> Rampage View Post
    Its also of note how there have been several rumors of Anderson wanting the Weidman fight to take place in Brazil... Meaning he is willing to take the fight and in negotiations with the UFC... I dont know why Dana shut down that idea so quickly... Anderson didnt get to fight Chael there.
    ...feel free to post any of these, with links.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 02-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

6. Default

I find it funny how Kimbo>Rampage has totally abandoned his convo with Riv to jump on Hoss.

Uh oh, Kimbo>Rampage(insert years hes trained UFC) is ducking Riv!
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

In before predictable "I'd totes kick his ass and put him on his knees, totes" response from rampage.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    In before predictable "I'd totes kick his ass and put him on his knees, totes" response from rampage.

rh
    Why would he want you on your knees? That's weird. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

9. Default

Well, since Riv already handled Bork's nonsense for me, I guess I'll tag in and handle Kimbo.

When did I say he refused to defend it? Ashy posed a question, making it seem like there was no viable opportunity for Anderson to have faced Weidman, due to Weidman's injury. When in reality, Weidman beat Munoz, Dana said he was the next #1 contender, Anderson said he didn't want to fight anymore in 2012 (coupled with him also stating he didn't really care to fight Weidman), and Weidman elected to have a minor surgery, then Anderson swooped in to fight Bonnar to save the card. Weidman didn't get injured until he was scheduled to fight Boetsch. That's why I said Anderson could have fought Weidman, but chose not to.

And as far as GSP goes... He is always in the GOAT and P4P discussions along with Anderson... You want Anderson to go after the bigger champion/ bigger challenge but not GSP as well...

Dana and Anderson both eluded to both fights happening... GSP vs. Silva clearly making more sense to happen first.
    Anderson has been doing some eluding lately, but I think you meant they alluded to both fights happening. Not only is Anderson ahead of GSP in the P4P rankings, but even Jones has somehow managed to pull ahead of Georges as well. A win of GSP wouldn't "cement his status" since he is expected to win, seeing as how he is the bigger guy. It also wouldn't drop GSP too far in the P4P rankings, since he is the smaller guy. A win over a bigger, more currently dominant Jones however, would "cement his status" as the number 1 P4P fighter in MMA history. It would also drop Jones down considerably in the P4P rankings.

Besides, even if Anderson feels like there are no worthy contenders in his weight-class, GSP and Jones still have some work left to do.

lol, Anderson is like that lazy asshole friend who cuts out of class, then sneaks around the building and starts tapping on the window while Georges and Jones are trying to take notes during their lecture, trying to talk them into cutting out early with him.

Anderson tapping on window.

Georges shakes his head no and stares straight ahead.
    Anderson taps louder
    Georges mouths the words: "Go away Andy, I'm trying to study."
    Andy points at Jones with a questioning look in his eyes.
    Jones notices Andy and immediately raises his hands and blurts out: "Ooh ooh! Teacher, teacher! Andy is skipping class again! Look!"
    Anderson runs away from the window like the cheeky bastard he is, while giggling to himself: "Tee hee hee"

Last edited by H0SS; 02-19-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Why would he want you on your knees? That's weird. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Thread Information